• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: [FR] Sideways Stairs

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
giphy.gif

What about this? Why this is happening? While on bike the stairs works perfectly, but while walking/running it blocks my way.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
Can you show me what each of those tiles have as their behaviour bytes?

I'm not on PC right now but I can tell you:
[XX][XX][B5]
[30][B3][B5]
[B4][B3][B3]
[B4][B5]

I'm using the default ones you used at the tutorial. I think the problem could be the code, cause the bike is working.

Last edited:
Years
I'm not on PC right now but I can tell you:
[XX][XX][B5]
[30][B3][B5]
[B4][B3][B3]
[B4][B5]

I'm using the default ones you used at the tutorial. I think the problem could be the code, cause the bike is working.

It might be your implementation then, I don't have this issue on my ROM or on any test ROMs I've tried.

Can you replicate this on a vanilla FireRed ROM?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
It might be your implementation then, I don't have this issue on my ROM or on any test ROMs I've tried.

Can you replicate this on a vanilla FireRed ROM?

OK, I will try it tonight, then I'll give feedback.

EDIT: I found the problem, I forgot the hook at 0x5BB5C, now it's working perfectly.

Note: I think this resource can be the way to the "Sideways Rock Climb Tiles". ^^

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Wow, congratulation Sephiral Ice ! It's amazing !

However, I have a problem : I work on a French FireRed ROM, so I replaced all the offsets by the French offsets, and stairs are working perfectly when I'm walking and when I'm running. But when I use the Bicycle item, even if I am not biking on stairs, the frames look messy, as you can see in the following video :

Maybe you can have an idea of what could be at the origin of this problem, some offsets which are related to the bicycle that I can check for example ? Thanks ;)

(sorry for my bad English)

Years
Wow, congratulation Sephiral Ice ! It's amazing !

However, I have a problem : I work on a French FireRed ROM, so I replaced all the offsets by the French offsets, and stairs are working perfectly when I'm walking and when I'm running. But when I use the Bicycle item, even if I am not biking on stairs, the frames look messy, as you can see in the following video :

Maybe you can have an idea of what could be at the origin of this problem, some offsets which are related to the bicycle that I can check for example ? Thanks ;)

(sorry for my bad English)
This is the same issue as in this post: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9426385#post9426385

You just want to switch those two pointers.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
I have already switched these pointers, it fixed the problem for running but not for biking...

Years
I have a question.
Is it normal that the compiler created a 15MB .bin with a lot of 0xFF bytes?

Yes, you just need to open the produced .bin file in a hex editor and follow the instructions which tell you to go to the relevant addresses and copy the data from the .bin to the same location in your ROM.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
For those out there like me who (up until last night anyway) can't figure out how to compile things, I've got a .zip archive with some goodies. Assembly script, compiled binary, IPS patch, and what amounts to an offline version of the OP with some added notes. It ought to work but I make no guarantees and it's up to you to mess with the blocks.

Seriously though Mr. Spherical Ice this is one of the best improvements to a Gen III game out there. I'd rank it up there with the physical/special split in terms of modernizing the games. I looked through Diamond and Pearl maps after seeing this for the first time and only then realized just how common these staircases are across Sinnoh.

Attachments

• stairs.zip
    53.1 KB · Views: 105
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I have no idea how all this ASM Magic works but How hard would it be to port this to Emerald?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 15, 2020
For those out there like me who (up until last night anyway) can't figure out how to compile things, I've got a .zip archive with some goodies. Assembly script, compiled binary, IPS patch, and what amounts to an offline version of the OP with some added notes. It ought to work but I make no guarantees and it's up to you to mess with the blocks.

Seriously though Mr. Spherical Ice this is one of the best improvements to a Gen III game out there. I'd rank it up there with the physical/special split in terms of modernizing the games. I looked through Diamond and Pearl maps after seeing this for the first time and only then realized just how common these staircases are across Sinnoh.

Thanks for the patch man, I was losing my mind trying to make sense of HEX editing and just when I think I'm almost done (last step) my editor can't seem to even copy values and I had to give up. Appreciate it :)

EDIT: So, of course the patch doesn't work with different ROMs as I'd have to edit the start_address and behaviour_0 accordingly. I'm done with hacking, I'm obviously underprepared.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
i dont know whats causing it but i implemented the code and put the proper behavior bytes on my tiles but for some reason it doesnt work when im walking, it works when im running and i havent tested it on a bike yet, but can anybody help?

Years

[FR] - Sideways Stairs

A common issue when it comes to mapping is the inability to properly use sideways stairs, a situation which usually leads to one of two outcomes. The first is that the map is changed, usually at the expense of its playable design and aesthetics, to instead use a vertical set of stairs. The second, which often looks very unprofessional, is to use sideways stair tiles anyway, and to just make them act like regular, passable tiles. This looks so bad because there is no sense of elevation when the player walks up, and can break immersion and make movement awkward. The following implementation can create a far easier, pseudo-3D effect which alleviates all of these issues. Here is a small sample .gif of the implementation:

8B2jW2w.gif

My apologies for the super late reply, but this is absolutely brilliant.
One question, though... Shouldn't you use the elevation movement permissions for this? Like so:

Sideways-Stairs-Test.png

You see, I see it set differently in the example image.
Forgive me for my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Back