• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: 9-tile-animation-feature

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Hey,
Ace here, When i was trying to insert a new animation for the grass tile i used, i found out one grass animation was not enough since i was using the HGSS style of grass.
So i tried to use another grass animation but it doesn't activate in-game[ or is it just me ]
So i ask Colcolstyles opinion/help and he told me i will have a better chance here to get help.
This was my vm i send to Colcolstyles:
Spoiler:

It would be great if i could have 9 tile animation for each grass tile with their own kind of animation or even just few more..

As you can see when i reach the edge, it will look weird as the animation tile i use was the center main grass tile.
Maybe there is already a solution to this but i have not find one or i might have misslook it.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Wasn't there a tutorial on changing Grass animations? Also, I believe it's in the Bookmarks of NSE. There's several tiles that are used in the animation. Instead of re-mapping the behavior bytes for it, you should just edit over the pre-existing ones...just export them from NSE and paste them over each one. iirc, that's what thethethethe did. He took it into TileMolester and just copied the frames over as an example, it looked kinda like yours. Just edit the frames so that the edge ones aren't using the same frame as the inside?

Also, another option may be to look at this tutorial from Shiny Quagsire: http://pkmnhackersonline.com/pho/?page_id=349 it explains how to insert NEW animations, which would be a much better option than trying to overwrite an existing one which could cause more bugs if done incorrectly. It looks like you can control the amount of frames to use, so it might be worth checking out.

p.s. This thread seems out of place. o.O Maybe a mod should move it?

The grass animation is stored differently to the tile animations. This animation works by creating an OAM where the player is standing, not just changing parts of the tileset dynamically.

Crimson Stardust: If you can send me a patch with the grass already inserted, I would be more than happy to take a look in to this. ^_^

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=152643@ Pogeygothaxed- Sorry if my thread have missled you, yes i am finding a way to fix this and the solution i am finding is adding a few more animation instead of editing it, and what you showed me in the screenshots is basically editing, that is what i do to get what i have now, if you try it you will know yourself.

@ Darthatron- Hey, thanks for wanting to helping out, i have pm you the patch and tell me what you find out so we can share it here..xD

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I don't have a screen recorder, but it's simple: I just opened the ROM, played 'til the grass animation, opened the OAM viewer to confirm Darth's post. Then, I went into NSE, File>Bookmarks>Landscape - it has the offsets already in there, so you just click grass, open it, and edit it? You could also export it, I believe, if you don't like the in-program editor. That specific tile was a match to the one in the OAM Viewer, so I just made a dark green line through the bottom section of the grass(leaving the top transparent for the character to show through) and tested in-game to make sure it was the correct tile used in the animation, which it was.

I wouldn't know how to add extra frames. Common sense would suggest re-pointing the frames and pals to free space and then adding the new offset in an .ini if it's supported, or try to find the new frames in Tile Molester. Honestly I'm still new to Hex editing and more "advanced hacking" techniques. I just saw an easy fix, and I don't see the point in adding more frames, when the game already uses more than enough. In thethethe's tutorial, it showed at least 25 frames altogether. NSE has narrowed them down, though.

That's not what this thread is about. The OP is trying to develop a system where the tall grass animation image changes depending on which tall grass tile the player is standing on (normally there is only one tile but in his new system, there will be nine (hence the title)). If you take a look at the video, the tall grass image is the same throughout, even when the player is on the edge of a grass patch, which doesn't look good. The OP wants the image to change if the player is standing on the edge. I hope that makes sense.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
I don't like arguing, but...
He isn't developing anything. He's using exactly what I said, which is why it looks funny. Because all he did was copy over the part like I did in my edit. He wants to use another animation byte for the edge/lower part of the tiles, so that he can use that instead. i.e. setting the behavior byte to 03 instead of 02. But why would you replace tall grass with the same type of tile? It'd still have the same error regardless, because he'd just do what he did before(making the same animation...) I know what the OP wants but it's inefficient, and pointless. <_<

Also, now that I re-read this, I think he set the behavior bytes incorrectly; because he said "in-game no animation happen"(s). If the animation did happen, then you'd be correct because he'd be using 02 for the mid-part of the grass and 03 for the outer-parts. Which leads back to my point: why would you want to do it that way when you could simply edit it and get the same results?

Wanting to add more frames to an animation / re-point to where the byte reads the frames for an animation, etc. is all fine and dandy but it's not needed in this situation and I can already tell you that this person isn't going to make it happen, hence why Darth wanted to take the project. >_>

Anyway, I'm done here. As I said before: "good luck." I don't have the patience for this.
Since i started this thread, i will have the responsibility to answer your question.
And the stuff you are putting to my thread is not what i intended at all. You are trying to change what i intended the thread to be. Who said i did the behavior bytes incorrectly, that is so simple to get wrong, i change the byte to see what kind of animation it is so instead of just the 02 byte i could also use the 03 byte for the animation for different parts of the "9 TILES GRASS", The edge of the tiles doesn't look the same as the other parts of the tiles if i were to use the same animation for all the parts, the grass won't look nice hence the other byte was tried. It is you who don't understand the thread and what with "this person isn't going to make it happen", i have a name and i won't just let Darth do all the work and i will put it here in case someone else wants to try it.

Sorry if i sound harsh, just trying to clarify some stuff..

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
i think the tile set animation editor program has an option to add animations.

EDIT: it DOES have an option to add animations, maybe this program can help you.

Last edited:

>Dante<

Call me Steven
Years
Just as colcolstyles has said, that animation work as OAM.
I don't know how this can help, but fire red has, to its inside, a lot of animations coming from RSE (grass, mini-grass, tall grass, etc...) that however they are not active. Then, even if we tries to insert these animations through the blocks editor of A-map, nothing won't happen, because the animation is "locked".

In conclusion, isn't necessary to add extra-frame... we needs only to understand whether to already activate those existing ^^"

P.S: Is the hack of that video the hack of The Panda?? Because if it is true, I have inserted those 2 animations for him...(I remember that his hack used the same identical tiles
:P)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
i think the tile set animation editor program has an option to add animations.

EDIT: it DOES have an option to add animations, maybe this program can help you.

If you had read the thread, you would know that we're talking about tall grass animation, not tile animations.

Just as colcolstyles has said, that animation work as OAM.
I don't know how this can help, but fire red has, to its inside, a lot of animations coming from RSE (grass, mini-grass, tall grass, etc...) that however they are not active. Then, even if we tries to insert these animations through the blocks editor of A-map, nothing won't happen, because the animation is "locked".

In conclusion, isn't necessary to add extra-frame... we needs only to understand whether to already activate those existing ^^"

P.S: Is the hack of that video the hack of The Panda?? Because if it is true, I have inserted those 2 animations for him...(I remember that his hack used the same identical tiles
:P)

Yes, I pointed that out to Crimson Stardust in our VM conversation: the images are there in the ROM; it's just a matter of "unlocking" them so that using the "Tall grass" behavior byte will actually work. Hopefully Darthatron will have some success with that. :)

LadyGaGa12321

Deoxys FAn
Years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccolcostyles
Yes, I pointed that out to Crimon Stardust in our VM conversation: the images are there in the ROM; it's just a matter of "unlocking" them so that using the "Tall grass" behavior byte will actually work. Hopefully Darthatron will have some success with that. :)

but how do you unlock it

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccolcostyles
Yes, I pointed that out to Crimon Stardust in our VM conversation: the images are there in the ROM; it's just a matter of "unlocking" them so that using the "Tall grass" behavior byte will actually work. Hopefully Darthatron will have some success with that. :)

but how do you unlock it

Funny you should mention it. There's another thread in R&D (link) about doing just that. I suggest you check it out.

Back