• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Shiny

monster tamer streamer
Years
I'm going to Minus18, it's a organisation which organises parties for gay and lesbian teens under 21 (straight people are allowed to come of course too!). This time it's a mask party ; D

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I have a question. Are any of you bothered by the use of the term "gay" to express disapproval. Example: "That's so gay."?

I'm not. I actually don't think that people should have to filter their language if they clearly didn't mean for it to be an attack on a group of people. I think that people need to lighten up and drop this whole politically correct nonsense where people can't speak their minds because it might offend someone.

There's a clear difference is using slurs to put down a homosexual and saying that something they disapprove of is "gay."

Remember, that word actually means happy, so technically, using it to mean homosexual is also an incorrect usage of the word.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years

OMG YOU WERE THINKING THAT IN 6TH GRADE? ;o; So young, lol.

Lol. My bestie, she knew she was a lesbian about when she was 9 years old. O.O sometimes I try to trick her to liking boys cause i have a crush on her lol.

I was probably around 13 - 15 when I figured out I was attractive to boys >.<
But I'm bisexual. ;3.
But I live more to the heterosexual side, But I do find boys attractive. But I'm not exactly "open" to it, since in the past I tried it, but I had @$$holes friends who would call out your fail, or anything they dont agree on, and bash it to you for your whole life. But the people I care about know I am, but just not everyone, basically it's non of their beeswax, man. Lol.

But I'd like to join tho :3

I have a question. Are any of you bothered by the use of the term "gay" to express disapproval. Example: "That's so gay."?

I'm not. I actually don't think that people should have to filter their language if they clearly didn't mean for it to be an attack on a group of people. I think that people need to lighten up and drop this whole politically correct nonsense where people can't speak their minds because it might offend someone.

There's a clear difference is using slurs to put down a homosexual and saying that something they disapprove of is "gay."

Remember, that word actually means happy, so technically, using it to mean homosexual is also an incorrect usage of the word.

Well that is an interesting question. I mean I use it. :x But I dont say it to my gay friends except my bestie who is lesbians, and she said "hey, I'm gay you know", and I said "I know, but I loooove you", and She said "I prefer you used, "That is so homosexual"", she said she uses it all the time.
But everyone knows the rapper Eminem, uses slurrs that offends homosexuality people. But he said in an interview the word "f@g" isnt really towards homosexual, he said when he was growing up, that word was throwed alot in battles, and raps. He also said "If you're Straight, Gay, White, Black, Fat or Skinny, If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you". So the word gay has two meanings too, Homosexual gay, and Happy Gay. But the slur for gay has been thrown around since i was in middle school and Highschool, its just grew on me when I'm like pissed like at this game "this is so gay" as in "Lame" not in a homophobic way. More of a lame, stinks, suck term. But mostly my friends who are gay dont care, they laugh and say it too, sometimes.

Last edited:
Years
When I hear people say "That's so gay" (though it's actually been quite a while since I've heard that so maybe the times are a-changing) I say things like "No, that's so straight" or "Yeah, it's totally attracted to _____ of the same sex." Basically, I make fun of them and try to make using the word in that context sound lame so no one will do it anyone. But yeah, it does bother me, partially because it's unconsciously hateful and partially because it's just a lazy/stupid use of English.

Now I'm curious. Does anyone hear stuff like that on a daily basis? I'd like to think we've kind of moved past that now.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
When I hear people say "That's so gay" (though it's actually been quite a while since I've heard that so maybe the times are a-changing) I say things like "No, that's so straight" or "Yeah, it's totally attracted to _____ of the same sex." Basically, I make fun of them and try to make using the word in that context sound lame so no one will do it anyone. But yeah, it does bother me, partially because it's unconsciously hateful and partially because it's just a lazy/stupid use of English.

Now I'm curious. Does anyone hear stuff like that on a daily basis? I'd like to think we've kind of moved past that now.

This is where I disagree. I don't see it as hateful if it's not used in a context where it refers negatively to homosexuality. I just see it as slang. Just like the word "gay" developed a new meaning from happy to homosexual, this could be yet a new meaning. Slang terms have been added to the dictionary over time.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

It doesn't offend me as such, but yeah it does bug me. Mostly because it's completely unnecessary, and when people used it in school it was clear that it did come from the homosexual meaning and was not a new meaning unto itself. We have enough words to express "bad", we don't need another one.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015

It is a little offensive & I understand some people aren't doing it of hate, but like Raichu said there are so many other out there you can use out there to describe your disapproval over something. Think about it this way, people don't say that's so black to say they disapprove of something or think it's stupid.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

It is a little offensive & I understand some people aren't doing it of hate, but like Raichu said there are so many other out there you can use out there to describe your disapproval over something. Think about it this way, people don't say that's so black to say they disapprove of something or think it's stupid.

Black is actually often used to define something dark. I understand why some in the LGBT community might find it offensive. I guess because I grew up around racist jokes and toilet humor, I've been desensitized to such things.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
I can't really relate to such a situation. It's because the language commonly used where I live is not English, and the way people talk in similar situations is different.
I know words like gay, fag, and their translations in my native language are used as insults. Not only that but words like hijra and chakka (don't know the exact translation, something like a transgendered person) are used as insults in general and as personal attacks against homosexual people.

If I had encountered a situation like that, I would've probably not cared much. It still bugs me why someone should use the word "gay" and not just call it "lame"

Shining Raichu

Years
I have another question for everybody. Well, the allies won't be able to answer this question but their thoughts are always appreciated :)

We all say that we didn't choose to be gay/bi/whatever, and this is absolutely true. But if science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

Count me in. ^.^ It'll be a blast, I'm sure.

As for why I'm joining, I'm transgender. ^.^

Welcome aboard, Mirby! We look forward to hearing what you have to say! :)

Years
If science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

Short question getting a long answer.

A cure? Like, could it make transgendered people the right gender? That would be a dream. Obviously that's not quite what you're asking. I suppose for me it would something like, if I could change how I felt so that inside I feel like what I was born on the outside and in that case..... I don't know. In a lot of ways I feel like I'd be giving up by doing something like that, but I also think it would be really nice to feel 'at home' all the time. I'm not really sure how that would affect my thinking and personality though, since I feel like being transgendered is a bigger part of what makes me me than being gay is for someone who is gay. Like, it would be asking too much of me. So, yeah, now that I've said all that I can see it would probably be too much of a sacrifice and I don't think I'd be interested.

And if we're talking about a different pill or something else that would just make me sexually attracted to 'the opposite sex' I absolutely would not. Right now I feel like I have in some way 'gotten past' the idea of attraction based solely on gender. I can see from several people I know (gay and straight) that they've had some problems because of their sexuality in the sense that it got them into trouble, like when a friend had sex with his ex boyfriend over the weekend even though he would not normally do that. He'd gotten a little high (thanks to no one telling him there was 'special' chocolate at a party) and one thing led to another. That's the kind of thing I don't want to have to deal with. I like feeling like I've got a certain level of control over my sexuality and I feel like I'd loose that if I were gay, bi, or straight. Not that I think anyone who is gay, bi, or straight can't control themselves. I just like being attracted to things besides a person's gender.

And I'd take issue with what you said about 'absolutely true' but there's already a thread for that.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
We all say that we didn't choose to be gay/bi/whatever, and this is absolutely true. But if science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

I'm happy the way I am. Bisexuality is not just my sexual orientation but also a part of my personality.
Dealing with all the problems related to LGBT people has taught me a few things; I don't think I would like to be straight now.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017

Thats something I really wouldnt want to take part in. I'm pretty accepting of that part of myself now. I tried "being straight" when I was in highschool and I didnt like it. Also everyone I know expects certain things of straight people that I just dont want for myself (getting married, having children and raising a family being the major things).
Of course if someone wanted this 'cure' for themselves I wouldnt look down on them for it, but just personally I dont.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years

Ignoring the fact that it has been tested and proven that this 'cure' is an idea formulated in complete and utter stupidity and ignorance by the minds of bigots, with its results being potentially psychologically harmful and not to mention usually having inhumane methodology, and sought out by confused and uneducated people,

....no, wait, scratch that, don't ignore that point. One has to accept oneself in order to become not only comfortable, but stronger in a sense.

BUT OKAY I'LL PLAY ALONG.

No. I wouldn't.
I'm perfectly comfortable that I'll end up with a dude.

Being homosexual isn't apart of my personality, and being so has made me more accepting of myself and other people, and more intelligent because of the internal struggles I faced.

So, in a way, it's a gift.
God really did make me this way for a reason, and I, instead of freaking out and looking for a 'cure' like it's a disease or something, came to grips with it and became a stronger person because of it.

Besides, I don't think me and a dudette would work out either. Nope.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
If science were to come out with a 'cure' for all minority sexualities and could make you straight, would you be interested? Would you choose to be straight?

No. A cure is supposed to relieve someone of an ailment. My sexuality isn't causing serious harm to my health. I honestly can't imagine seeing myself as anything other than being gay. I've tried to be straight in the hopes that I could lead a "normal" life and that actually caused harm to my mental health. I have many insecurities, but I feel comfortable with my sexuality.

Shining Raichu

Years
Great to have you on board JimJams! Welcome! If you wanna go back through the pages and see some of the questions people have asked and answer them, we'd love to hear what you have to say on our assorted topics!

Back