• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long does it take you to play a Pokémon game?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I usually no-life them when they come out and play in big stretches, but I also take the time to explore a lot and can spend a huge amount of time on side areas like the World Tournament, so it balances out. I'd say it normally takes me a week to a week and a half to complete the main story, and after that I go on at a much slower pace.

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
My in-game clock is always around 25 hours when I get to the Hall of Fame. Usually, I would play about 2 hours whenever I get the chance to play which could be either daily or twice on week depending on the week. I don't really like Pokémon enough anymore that I could play more than 3 hours in any one sitting. Certainly I don't have the motivation or interest to participate in the Battle Frontier or complete the Pokédex. Once I beat the Elite Four and sometimes the post game, I am usually done with that game unless I am really bored and start up a new save. Of course, when I was younger, I could pour hours upon hours on a single Pokémon game. I used to be able to play 4+ hours a day and participate in the Battle factory until I got unlucky with critical hits or statuses.

Last edited:
Years
Around a week or so if I no-life it. Depending on what other games I have to play, it's likely to take even longer.

Case in point: I still haven't beaten Ultra Moon yet (even though I'm at the Pokemon League) and it's been more than a month. u.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
First time playing a game would probably be around 3 or 4 days and playing more than once would be like a week or more.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Because I have a lot of obligations ... Usually it takes me between a month and three to do a full play-through, though I haven't tried to complete the national pokedex since generation three because of how many hoops you now have to jump through (it's getting kind of ridiculous).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I usually start a game on release then don't complete it until 3-10 years later. Not continuous playing. I started Yellow in 1998 and finished it in 2012. I started Crystal in 2001 and completed it in 2012. I started Y in 2013 then completed it in 2016 when I learned about shiny hunting.

I started Moon in 2016 and am currently at Mallow's trial. Didn't play it at all in 2017.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Depends on how motivated I am and how much I like the game. For games like Sun and Moon and I can take long breaks and not care especially since if I'm busy. But for games I like, I can play for hours

Years
Main series main storyline (through defeating the E4) - 1 week if I have few other obligations when I get the game.

Mystery Dungeon - depends on how hard and long the main storyline is and how much I have to grind my starters to defeat the main boss. Since they're unevolved, more grinding is required - it's like trying to defeat the E4 with two unevolved starters in the main series.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I usually stretch it out for as long as I can. I don't like reaching the "end" of the games, so I tend to procrastinate. (This has lessened somewhat since I sat down and wrote up my backlog last summer, as I'm feeling more pressure to actually finish my games now, but so far, that hasn't really translated into finishing Pokemon games any faster. If anything, I've been playing non-Pokemon games to balance out all of the Gold I've been playing before bed, rather than finishing my gen 7 games, which I haven't beaten yet.)

My faster games tend to involve beating the Elite Four in a period of a couple of months. For slower games, I think my longest time to reach the Elite Four was approaching a decade (in Pokemon LeafGreen, after 323 hours or something like that). Admittedly, for the slower games, they're not the only thing I play for that duration. But I usually have a fairly high hour count and reasonably complete Pokedex by the time I "beat" the game for the first time.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Several months. I'm EXTREMELY slow and honestly I enjoy taking my time.

Years
If I really wanted to, I could probably finish a game within a week of picking it up the first time, but Pokemon is one of those series I like to play at a snail's pace so I can enjoy the most out of it. Ultra Moon took me about 3 or 4 months to play, and that's pretty average for me. I think the game that I finished the quickest was White 2, and I probably clocked in at about a month and a half to finish the main story.

Years
uhhh hm
I think about 30-45 hours to beat the story depending on what I'm doing
I usually mess around with side quests or rummage around trying to encounter rare Pokémon, so obviously that adds time to it. It's always sad reaching the end of the game, especially post-game since that means I'm nearing the end of most available content, so I try to slow down a bit. At the same time Pokémon is so addicting it is hard to stop.........

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
About two weeks; I start slowly and then I rush through it. It's kind of a quirk.

pkmin3033

Depends on how much I want to do in it...on average these days, I'd say around 25 hours across about 2 weeks? They're not difficult enough for me to spend hours grinding, nor engaging enough for me to play quickly. I'm in no hurry to finish the games quickly; it's not like I have to worry about story spoilers on the internet or anything, and I have a lot of other things to do with my time now.

Making a living dex takes significantly longer if I'm going to do it from scratch - I put about 90 hours into catching/breeding one of everything possible in Omega Ruby last year. But then I never played the other Gen VI games to complete my collection. Woops.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
Years
Story's just usually a day. I cram the good lore.

I did the Sundex in 15 days.
I did the UMoondex in 3 months.

Guess the only reason is I grew up and had more jobs to do. But I still play an average of 30 minutes per day.

KipKap

Inactive
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 18, 2019
Considering I have other hobbies and work to do, my motivation to play games shifts around a lot, sometimes I have the time and motivation and other times I don't.
So, it usually takes a few months, give or take. My first run of AlphaSapphire was in the summer when I was recovering from a broken bone, and only took about 3 days to play. That was my shortest playthrough for sure.
I like to explore the games a lot, finish the post game materials, and then I'm done. I'll transfer the Pokemon to my newest game, wipe the save file, and either play again or give it to someone new.
It takes me a while to truly finish a Pokemon game though, I'd say. I take my time.

Last edited:
Back