• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obsessions that you just don't get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystopia

What goes here?
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2010
I have to admit that almost all of the ones I want to talk about have already been said but I'll reiterate them for added effect I suppose, haha.
  • Justin Bieber fans. His "music" is terrible, lack any kinds of hooks, he's an idiot (let's face it, my cat knows what Germany is), and he's a manufactured "artist," if you can call him that.
  • Anti-Justin Bieber fans. Go to almost any music video on YouTube and watch how somebody will compare Justin Bieber to it. I mean, okay, you don't like the guy, who cares?
  • Glee, High School Musical, Camp Rock and any other musical series like this just annoy me, especially when they know they're not great so just rely on autotune, so I really can't see the appeal.
  • Twilight. I've read the first book and regret ever thinking of doing so. It. Is. Terrible.
  • Facebook Games including FarmVille, Mafia Wars, Café World, whatever. They are just...what is the appeal?
  • "Playstation is better than the 360!" "No man, we've got better games!" Does this need anymore elaboration? This "console war" is just pathetic. Play games because you like the games, not because you like the console. -.-#
  • Call of Duty. Okay, it's an alright game, but, seriously, it's not that good. I'd rather play Super Mario Galaxy 2 anyday.

They are most certainly more obssessions I don't understand but I don't want to bore you.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I don't get why people are always wanting to learn about something. In life, there's only one end: death. Unless, of course, you're immortal.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
Years
I don't think I quite understand the "furry fandom".

Yes, anthropomorphic animals are cool, but some furries make it out to be a lifestyle, dedicating vast amounts of time to drawing pictures of them and making fursuits.

It's not even a proper genre like Sci-Fi, it's just a type of character. Really, what's the point?

Jameska

'Cuz God doesn't take sides.
Years
I don't "get" any obsession other than my own obsessions; but everyone has a different taste in what they like. I might think it's strange to like Justin Bieber, but I'm sure all the Bieber fans think the bands I enjoy are strange too. Everyone's just different, so I don't think any particular obsessions are any weirder than any other obsession.

If someone has found something that makes them happy enough to obsess over it, then I say good for them, regardless of what it is.
The only obsession I really dislike is the obsession that some people have with putting others down just because they like certain things.

Best way to look at things, in a realists terms, but I have an obsession that I don't like, nor fully understand. Actions as a population of a whole intrigue me to no end. Say, there's one million free people who are making a decision, for some reason everyone alone would choose option B, but together, only few speak their minds. This contradiction of attention has been around for countless centuries, and it's been nagging at my skull for the same duration.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I don't think I quite understand the "furry fandom".

Yes, anthropomorphic animals are cool, but some furries make it out to be a lifestyle, dedicating vast amounts of time to drawing pictures of them and making fursuits.

It's not even a proper genre like Sci-Fi, it's just a type of character. Really, what's the point?
Haha, that's my obsession. ;) Sort of... I don't understand the fursuit thing either, but I'd rather dress up like a dog than play farmville or listen to Justin Bieber any day.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
Years
Why are people so obsessed with Twilight, a series where all shirtless guys do is beat each other up, sparkle, and shoot witty dialogue back and forth, while completely butchering any lore that they use?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Touhou...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
- Justin Bieber (I didn't care until my mom said she wanted him! /cuts)
- Rap music
- Shipping
- Touhou
- Naruto
- Anime girls
- Pikachu :)
- Girls feeling fat/ugly when they're not
- Youtube trends (sees 362 dislikes) and someone posts "362 people wished they were ninjas" etc

No one understands my obsessions, though. x)

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
Years
- Twilight- Probably the most obvious one. Vampires used to have the reputation of being sinister-like, not sparkling in the daylight.
- Justin Bieber- I saw a book of him in the "Just for Kids" section at Barnes & Nobles yesterday.
- People who talk LyK3 d1$- I fail to find the appeal in this
- Shipping- No offense to anyone who is into it. I'm just personally not.
- People who upload pictures/statuses on Facebook constantly- Yes, you appear to have a life. I do not need to know about it every 20 minutes

That's all I can think of right now

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
Pokémon. Seriously.

Okay, not seriously. xD Here are some:
-People hating Twilight. Sure, it's bad. But reminding everyone just makes a huge deal out of something bad. Also, I don't see the point when the argument is "Real vampires are not like that". Like real vampires exist.
-Zelda. Yeah, I like it. But I don't see how Ocarina of Time is the best game ever.
-UT Pokémon
-Some old Disney movies. (Lady and the Tramp for example) I don't like a lot of the current animated movies, though.
-Dungeons & Dragons

There might be a lot more, but I guess I don't think about them too much.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
Years
BAD OBBSESSIONS
-Vampires. (The Vampire trend needs to die)
-Pop music (Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, Myley Cyrus, etc etc etc)
-Rap/Hip-Hop music (sorry, but I think 99% of this genre plain sucks.)
-Glee (Vocal covers of rock songs don't work)
- Pirates (Pirate trend kinda needs to die now.)
-Christmas music (Same old boring stuff remixed and played a 1000 times again each year. When will enough be enough?)
-Guitar Hero (I am still somewhat of a fan, but when you have friends that can play Through the Fire and the Flames' intro without looking, you know the game needs to die)
-Johnny Depp (In my opinion, has become one of the worst actors ever.)

GOOD OBSESSIONS
-Pokemon. (I love it. I still don't know why. I don't know if I ever will know why I love this thing so damn much...............)

Raiskit

[ e v i l l i g h t ]
Years
-Guitar Hero (I am still somewhat of a fan, but when you have friends that can play Through the Fire and the Flames' intro without looking, you know the game needs to die)

^ That's funny~

- Cheese; It's yummy and everything, but seriously..?
- Vampires; wow, blood, cool
- Shipping; not everyone has to be shipped people
- Gum; you chew it, wooooow
- rocks; ... it's a rock
- seashells; um, ..it's a seashell
- shoes; really? really?

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I don't get why people change their gender on forums (like for example a male constantly changing their gender between male and female).
Guilty as charged, but the reason I do it is because of what goes on in my head.

Guitar Hero (I am still somewhat of a fan, but when you have friends that can play Through the Fire and the Flames' intro without looking, you know the game needs to die)
Funny. That was posted not too long before it was declared dead.

I'm going to try avoiding easy targets (pop artists, TV shows, and films that are obviously not targeted towards me.)

Weeaboo-ism: I struggle to see why people would see Japan as something so amazing that they prefer everything from it above everything else. Some want to go far as learning Japanese just for their anime which... will then become absolutely useless after they lose interest and they look down and realize spending so much devotion on the language wasn't the greatest of ideas (unless I actually go to Japan, of course.)

Brand Loyalty ( AKA Fanboying/Fangirling)... over anything - Despite that you love it so much, everything has their own flaws and strengths over one another. Get over it.

Furry Fandom - I understand what there is to like about it, but just not at the highest of magnitudes. While I did find this one documentary interesting, it didn't really answer my questions.

Materialism - Mostly associated with the 'Apple Cult' with needing to have the new expensive stuff as soon as it comes out. Sure some may admire you and be jealous for it, but the general population will think you're ridiculous and thing you just took a lighter to your last week's pay.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Swag trend: It just looks bad and it makes rap look bad since most people that dresses up like that tends to listen to 'rap' and 'hiphop' and give real rap a bad name.

Justin Bieber fans: Just because you like his looks doesn't mean he has talent. I'm hating on him because he's making money and I'm not? Take out most of the girl fans he got, what does he have? Not much more of a fan base.

Twilight hate: It's a bad movie based on a bad novel yes, but they have tons of movies that are worse.

People hating on rock/rap: Just because you don't listen to a certain genre, doesn't automatically make it "suck." Both rap and rock have their own fair share of worthless artists and bands. None of them are superior to each other.

Bronies: I hate those people that watch MLP and say that if you don't watch it you automatically suck. Just because I don't enjoy a 7 year old TV show doesn't mean I suck. Stop trying to shove your interest other into other peoples throats.

Call Of Duty: It's a FPS game that tends to repeat practically the same process as the previous game, I don't see how it keeps getting rated by people as the best game ever.

Chain letters/ 'Like if you' pictures: You won't die by a girl tonight, so don't share that picture. And I really don't think your mom is going to die in 2 days if you don't post that chain letter to 10 different people.

Pop/bad rap radio music: All these song abou getting laid, drinking, smoking and clubbing are getting really old. Also kids listen to the radio >_>

Disney pop kids: I hate those kids, go back with animated mouses, ducks and dogs. Those were more fun to look at.

Apple products: No. They're not the 'best' things out there. It's just that you don't know how to compare it to other products.

Weed: Just because tons of kids are doing it means you gotta smoke too? Stop please. You're not a total gangster for smoking weed. Your parents still give you a curfew and they gave you a bed time.

Alcohol: No, I don't wanna get wasted and have the best night of my life and won't even remember what the hell happened to me. How would I know it was the best night ever when I can't even remember what the hell I did? I prefer knowing what I did that night and knowing it was fun.

PS3/Xbox 360/Wii/PC war: We don't care which console you like better. Each of them are good in their own way. Now shut up and enjoy whatever you prefer without having to shove it down the throats of other people.

Sorry if I offended anyone. These are my opinions.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
This is kind of hard to explain and it stems from my Tumblr addiction, but I can't understand when people are obsessed with a celebrity to the point where they don't even bother trying to distinguish between the real person and the character.

Robert Downey Jr is a great guy. He's funny. He played Tony Stark, but he's not actually Tony Stark. There may be things he does that Tony Stark also does (i.e. breathing, looking at people, walking, smiling), but he's not Tony Stark. Tom Hiddleston may embrace his role as Loki, but he is not actually Loki.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have Robert Pattinson, who absolutely hates Twilight and he's a wonderful person for pushing himself as far away from it as he can.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
OK I honestly don't know what's happened here. Somebody made a thread on this exact topic and then 40 minutes later someone posts in this thread instead...

But what I do know is that this thread has been revived from over two years ago. Please do not post in threads that have not been posted in for more than one month.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back