• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2023
Hi, i'm Lazzxion

i'm new at this so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot
i'm currently working on a Pokemon ROM hack to make emerald have a
Pokemon Black and White feel to it. During this posses a friend of mine
asked me to include Leafeon and Glaceon to Eevee's evolutions.

Unfortunately, no matter what tools i use the limit is 5 evolutions per
pokemon and i cant seem to find anything to help me break this limit
or just make it so you give eevee away and then gain one of the two
while still being able to breed an eevee from them.

I've searched high and low for nearly two weeks with no helpful
results, so if anyone can just tell me it's impossible or if there is a
way to actually do what i'm trying to achieve, i would be so thankful.

-LazzXion

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Impossible, engine of the game ya'know?
Without an engine hack of the ROM you can try it with ASM.
Checking levels, stats, etc. of the old pokemon and transfer it to a new pokemon.
Kinda make a new and remove the old..

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Why in some cases the offset in which we insert some data must end with 0, 4, 8, ...?
Everything inside the rom is in binary, having value of 0 or 1. If we look it at the aspect of a certain address, we have a 32-bit value (or "4-byte value") that points to the address. Now if the highest or second highest (32nd, 31st) bit of this pointer is set to 1, the address won't end with value of "0", "4", "8" or "C". This comes from the way binary works.

So there could be some code that requires both those bits having the value of 0. I personally have no idea why they wanted to program the game like that but it could be one solution, among many.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Well, I'll give it a shot but I doubt it will work for me. I've looked at lots of ASM tutorials before but never really understood any of them.

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Just for clarification, what do you mean by "follow the routine back?"

Look at the line of your breakpoint, and look one line up, figure out what that is doing, then go one more line up, etc.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.

I don't hack DS Games and there aren't many DS Game hacker, I think you might be able to do it by inserting the same sprite over and over to make an illusion that it doesn't move.

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
Reygok

karatekid552

Years
Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
Reygok

If you are not using any scripts that existed from the original FR, then the 100% safe flags are 200-2FF. There are a A LOT of temporary flags for things like rock smash rocks and cut trees (which always come back later so, flag = temporary). So, yeah, the best flags are 200-2FF and there are a few outside of that range which are safe, but you have to be careful. Look at those lists I have posted by DavidJCobb over and over again and see if you can determine what flags are safe and what aren't. Also, if it isn't on the list, that doesn't mean it is safe, it just means that the game didn't use it. (And if Game Freak didn't use it... You have to ask yourself, "Why?".)

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
I need some help
I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
I want.
I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
Help!

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I need some help
I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
I want.
I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
Help!
You will most likely need a representation of value that Player's name and item is stored at.
Have you tried searching just for "found" word?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2021
Hi!
I have a question, hope someone can answer!
well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
thanks!

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
foxz. said:
Hi!
well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
thanks!

It would be helpful to know what game you're hacking...

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I want to hack emerald, but I remember when I did before, some of the game's music
got glitchy like petalburg music, I don't know if it has happened to anyone, why did it happen? and is it better to hack ruby or emerald?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
If you are not using any scripts that existed from the original FR, then the 100% safe flags are 200-2FF. There are a A LOT of temporary flags for things like rock smash rocks and cut trees (which always come back later so, flag = temporary). So, yeah, the best flags are 200-2FF and there are a few outside of that range which are safe, but you have to be careful. Look at those lists I have posted by DavidJCobb over and over again and see if you can determine what flags are safe and what aren't. Also, if it isn't on the list, that doesn't mean it is safe, it just means that the game didn't use it. (And if Game Freak didn't use it... You have to ask yourself, "Why?".)
What comes to this... There is most likely a certain part of unused ram memory in the end of WRAM. Because flags are used to point to certain flag table (with a mathematical pattern), you might be able to make them point to this unused ram space as well (by setting the flag numbers high enough, value limit of 0xFFFF may cause a problem though).

In G/S/C, the flag table is 0x100 bytes long of which only a half is safely usable. But there is also a 0x40 byte free space area in the end of WRAM.
In this case, we can use flags above 0x4838 to point to this free space.

So yeah, someone should check this out whether there is free space for adding stuff there in the end of WRAM and if so, where flags are originally stored --> which flag numbers will point to this unused ram memory area.

Of course it's not the best idea to use unused part of wram for flags, you could store entirely different data of your own there. But it would come in handy if you were running out of "safe flag space".

karatekid552

Years
What comes to this... There is most likely a certain part of unused ram memory in the end of WRAM. Because flags are used to point to certain flag table (with a mathematical pattern), you might be able to make them point to this unused ram space as well (by setting the flag numbers high enough, value limit of 0xFFFF may cause a problem though).

In G/S/C, the flag table is 0x100 bytes long of which only a half is safely usable. But there is also a 0x40 byte free space area in the end of WRAM.
In this case, we can use flags above 0x4838 to point to this free space.

So yeah, someone should check this out whether there is free space for adding stuff there in the end of WRAM and if so, where flags are originally stored --> which flag numbers will point to this unused ram memory area.

Of course it's not the best idea to use unused part of wram for flags, you could store entirely different data of your own there. But it would come in handy if you were running out of "safe flag space".

Yes, Knizz and Jambo did it with vars, and I think Knizz also did it with it flags. Not sure.

Hi!
thanks!

The palette for the Battle Backgrounds are Lz compressed making them a little bit harder to find than, let's say, OW palettes. If you are using FR, I have the location of the table which controls them. So, as shinyabsol1 said, we need to know which rom.

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hello everyone again, I am struggling a lot with the ice pit warps (in icefall cave). I can see this is 100% scripted and I can replicate this copying the same scripts. I can't find a tutorial on this either sorry. For the map scripts there is a flag 0x4001 and I wonder if I have to use another flag. If I copy the script I decompiled from XSE and write it to my offset it sorta works but warps me to icefall cave and crashes! Any ideas on how to get this working?

ALLLSSOO... I found i horrible way to fix my problem... I can extend icefall cave to a 255x23 map and I can repoint the map (which will massive...) and all I have to is remember the X and Y co ordinates and put them on the next map. Seems dodgy and obviously not the right way to do this, but I'm new and can only get better hopefully haha!! Thanks guys!

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
I was wondering how to give the player the Pokemon Menu and Pokedex in Pokescript, when hacking Emerald Version. I think it's done through flags and I know how to do it in Fire Red or Leaf Green. Does anyone know what flags they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back