• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who was the hardest Champion? - The Redux

Who was the hardest Champion?

• Total voters
Years
Lance for me, those Dragonites of his hit me like a train.

Also, I had a lack of Ice-type attacks on me so I often had trouble hitting them super-effectively.

Cynthia would come a close second due to the diversity of her team's types and moves, and her Pokemon also come stacked with perfect IVs/EVs.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Steven/Wallace because it was my first Pokemon game and I made the classic mistake of training up only one Pokemon. :O

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Well, I've beaten all including Iris with the help of emulation & I must say, Iris was a handful. I was down to my last 'Mon when I was struggling with her Haxorus.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Haven't played B2W2, but I found, and still find Cynthia to be the hardest. They cranked the difficulty up full notch when it came down to her.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've yet to face Iris, but Cynthia is hardest for me by far. Her Garchomp is an utter beast, topped off with Pokémon like Spiritomb, she really doesn't make it an easy fight. But I love that since it makes beating the league so much more of an achievement :3 Steven also gets an honourable mention though for being a badass with Steel types, he really knows how to show off their best traits.

blue

gucci
Years
I haven't played B2W2 yet so I can't say Iris but judging on her levels more so in Challenge mode, I can see she could be quite a threat. However I've voted for Cynthia since two or more of her Pokemon have gave me problems on several occasions.

Years
In recent years I think Cynthia was the hardest champion, in DP. She was downlevelled a bit in Platinum, so first time around she wasn't so hard, but in Pearl.. Wow. Having a level 66 Garchomp was just.. aaaah. The first time around I didn't have any Ice types, so there was just no easy way around it. I guess Lance was pretty hard to beat in HGSS for his rematch, seeing as he had at least 2 Pseudo-legendaries, and they were all in their 70s. I guess in FRLG, Blue was pretty hard to beat for his rematch. And then Wallace wasn't too easy either.

I've named a lot of them but I guess Cynthia in DP was the hardest, overall.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, as I mentioned last time, Cynthia is, in my experience, the haredest champion of them all. I had a hard time with Blue back in R/B/Y, though what was different with him was that I knew his team, his attacks, what Pokemon to use against which and such, however with Cynthia, all you had learned about her was how you were constantly reminded throughout the game of how strong a trainer she was, and that did also prove to be true. Her team was of really varied types, throwing in her Spiritomb with no weaknesses just to be a jerk, and Wallace's Milotic might've been a challenge, but hell, Cynthia had one too, together with also having a Gabite. And the E4 had already been pretty hard, and it was only luck the first time I beat her tbh :/

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I can't decide between Cynthia and Lance. Cynthia just had a great team especially with Milotic and Garchomp. Lance is hacked with having a 3 underleveled Dragonites and every time I rematch him, I always get near constant critical hits and/or his pokemon surviving on barely a skin of HP so that he can use a Full Restore.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Cynthia was so tough. Her dang Milotic and Spiritomb. Bad memories.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
The only one I've ever had any problems with before was Lance because of all of his Dragonite. They were so powerful, and unless I had a Pokemon with an Ice or Dragon attack, it was hard to beat him. I never had problems with any other Champion, not even Cynthia.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
Cynthia was the hardest for me probably because I was new to pokemon and just caught pokemon on a whim so my team was pretty lame. Alder was a joke. He was super easy.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I know this might not count, but Red in HG/SS and GSC was BEASTLY!!!!

Other than him, I would have to say Blue/Gary in FR/LG when fighting him the second time around. If you don't do some heavy training in the Sevii Islands after you beat him the first time, he'll literally CRUSH YOU!!!

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
Years
  • Age 34
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 19, 2020
I haven't gotten to Iris yet in White two so I guess I have to leave full judgment open until then. However up to this point as much as I love Lance and his awesomeness I would have to say Cynthia.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I'd say Iris. Her Challenge Mode team are so powered I always get nervous fighting her, even with Lv 100. Her Haxorus is what I fear the most, due to having Dragon Dance, Outrage and holding a Focus Sash!? NO OTHER region Champion ever had their strongest Pokemon holding a Focus Sash!

Back