• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Your changes don't really add much, as you can just take the three grass tiles around the ledges to get through the map...

avoid having long paved roads on routes, instead alternate between a patch of tall grass, a path and trees to make things more interesting.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here's a touch up of my map

Spoiler:

thats sad, it doesnt look like you tried at all

the map has no significance, its flat, long, straight, and boring
its so empty and everything looks the same - add curves, a forced way to go, several paths to be taken, an easy way back, and grass throughout it - after all that, adjust a space for the house, perhaps making it on an island in the small sea you have

I see a lot of potential, and useful space in your map, and am saddened to see how it is put to use, keep trying and improving this map, the tiles you have are great but the way you use them do not fulfill their potential, your map is pitiful compared to how good it could be

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023

15iags4.png

I think people are being too harsh. All they can think about are how it looks from a birds-eye view and not how it will actually play.

And they seem to forget that Kanto had around 50% of its maps with NO grass needing to be navigated.

So when you consider that this is NOT a forest area and should have a navigatable road, and hopefully a clever trainer set-up, I really like the map.(Just please don't give in to making overcomplicated, and just plain ugly maps like a few of the others in the thread, simplicity has its place!)

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

15iags4.png
I think people are being too harsh. All they can think about are how it looks from a birds-eye view and not how it will actually play.

And they seem to forget that Kanto had around 50% of its maps with NO grass needing to be navigated.

So when you consider that this is NOT a forest area and should have a navigatable road, and hopefully a clever trainer set-up, I really like the map.(Just please don't give in to making overcomplicated, and just plain ugly maps like a few of the others in the thread, simplicity has its place!)

I think you are being way too soft. As someone who has remapped the entirety of Kanto for my game, I guarantee you, that none of Kantos maps are as ill-designed as this map. No offense, pokemoner2500.

The problem with this map vs official Kanto maps is that in Kanto maps, the game forces you to either battle trainers or wild Pokémon. You can rarely avoid both.
This map isn't greatly outfitted for that.

At the same time, I agree we may be judging too harshly, as I think a lot of us are reacting to the fact that the ground is sand instead of grass. It makes the map look a lot emptier than it is.

I recommend actually changing the ground to grass.
You should also make the left tree area way less straight. Make it bulge in to the route a little.
That will make it look less straight.

You should also add decorations like flowers, etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Took most of your suggestions and this is the end result.

2yjwinb.png

I use the same tileset as you, I found. Please, use grass instead of sand. If you absolutely love the sand, I don't think anyone would have a problem if the border of the water was sand, but the path HAS to be on grass. It was literally made for that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Here ya go, replaced most of the sand with grass as suggested.

o8w76v.png

I'm not even sarcastic when I say this: It's like a whole new route!

The sand doesn't really blend well with the grass. If you want, you can PM me with both tiles and I can see if I can make an edit to make it match. Of course, credit wouldn't be necessary, but appreciated.

Also, if you have such a wide route, why not use all of it? It's only, like, 5 tiles wide *Obvious Sarcasm*. It should probably have a fork in the dirt that leads into the trees (as an alternate route back perhaps?).

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I fixed the edges. I only uploaded the edited part. The rest looked okay (at least to me)

29lkbo2.png

That's much improved from when you started. Remember, the border only has to be approximately 3 trees thick. Cut the rest and you have plenty of space for more areas of gameplay.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
That's much improved from when you started. Remember, the border only has to be approximately 3 trees thick. Cut the rest and you have plenty of space for more areas of gameplay.
4 trees, or 8 tiles, to be precise. ;)

Anyways, the route's looking a lot better now, but there are still many ways in which you can improve it. You can easily walk through it holding just the "up" button. Use trees/ledges to create some obstacles for the player. Look at Hoenn route 101 for a better example of what I mean.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Too flat. Too decorative, straight and unnatural.
Try making trees more random (Like much more random) and that goes for the coastline and the grass placement too.

Here's what you can do to fix it (In the same format [supporter][user]Scarf[/user][/supporter] suggested a while back)

10nxoqo_zps586672e5.png

Fill the purple places with trees or make it unpassable (block it somehow, maybe you can add a ledge in between). Fill the blue area with grass and tall grass, or just a way to pass through. Remember, all borders be more random. You could add sand in the yellow areas. The brown areas is where you could place sea, and the orange is again to extend the sand. You could place the house over there btw, since that area is going to be open with the replacements.

Try it.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
Spoiler:

It's been a while since I've mapped, so this is an extremely long fresh start for me. I'm feel as it's missing something, not sure what. I think there might be a lot of open space, but I don't know how or what to fill it up. I tried to make it open as possible, with giving the player some additional roads to take after recieving some hidden moves for their pokemons to use. I appreciate all criticism, for which I take into account. Credits belong to scarf, reck, and peekychew for the tiles. Ignore some tile errors, since me being silly formatted the trees incorrectly when I was assembling the tileset.

Years
Spoiler:

It's been a while since I've mapped, so this is an extremely long fresh start for me. I'm feel as it's missing something, not sure what. I think there might be a lot of open space, but I don't know how or what to fill it up. I tried to make it open as possible, with giving the player some additional roads to take after recieving some hidden moves for their pokemons to use. I appreciate all criticism, for which I take into account. Credits belong to scarf, reck, and peekychew for the tiles. Ignore some tile errors, since me being silly formatted the trees incorrectly when I was assembling the tileset.

The lower half looks better than the upper half. There's more to look at. That straight line of a hillside is very unnatural looking so maybe change it up a bit or make is something unnatural like a wall or building or something that would be straight.

The bottom half has a better arrangement of trees. Not just lines of them. They also give you a clear path instead of a big open field. Speaking of that field, why is it so open and why is the tall grass so scattered? If you want to make it more difficult for a player to walk through (right now it's easy enough to avoid most of it), make some big areas of grass that bump up against trees or water or rocks or whatever so that you have to walk through it. That might mean narrowing the open field or putting something in it. If you want something that seems more wild and all over the place, maybe add something else like a few trees in the middle or some other kinds of ground tiles like dirt or flowers to break up the monotony. But there's nothing wrong with filling in the empty space with trees or other things to create more channel-like areas to move through. Right now, even though there is a lot of space, it's pretty straightforward.

2ptv34g.png

The space to the sides seems extraneous. You could make areas that look like paths that turn into dead ends (if you feel like this should be more of a maze), or circle around the tall grass, or lead to items or other things that would give a player a reason to go there.

And I'd vary what tree you use. I made those same trees without the little holes and for them to have interchanging parts. You should be able to use ones that are clean looking or have just one hole alongside the ones you're already using.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Spoiler:

Looks a really nice map overall but there are a few things that'll look pretty much spot on, I really like it, regardless.

Untitled-1.png

For starters the first thing that bugs me is the trees in red, not sure why their laid out like that, the other thing to work on is opening up the gap between the trees to make it more visible. Secondly I'm not sure what the random bins are about.
The light purple is grass that doesn't need to be there and the darker purple is where the grass should stop.
Blue is things that doesn't really need to be there and seem very misplaced.
try improving on these things, i'll redo this in the morning but i'm too tired right now.

Awesome map though.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Spoiler:

Gotta Agree with Ben here, this is a good looking map it's just there are some things which don't work, I'll try to elaborate on things which Ben hasn't already stated.

bhLOLgu.png

Brown = Tile Errors, You know the Drill

Lavender = Unnecessary tiles

These fences don't really seem like they belong if the route looked more rugged and abandoned then this would make sense but honestly the route has an Early Game Feeling

Navy Blue = Ninja Bin, Ben missed

Pink = Hard to see Tiles

This staircase I didn't realize existed until I zoomed in on it. Either make it more pronounced or make the top level inaccessible.

Grey = Bad placement

The south one is just weird since you have this very Square like path near a Tall Grass section, divide it some some amount. The one in the north appears to be another entrance to the map, I suggest removing it or changing the surrounding Terrain to compensate.

Black = The easiest Path to get through this route

The problem is it is too simple I mean Left, Up, Right, Up that's it give it some puzzle incorporate the gaps in the trees

Gold = A New Path?

This is just something I realized may work for this Route is that you bend it more, maybe include a Cut Tree and some various elevation levels, maybe extend the little pond you have and make it include another exit to the Map on the East Side. Just make it more challenging in the case of traversing.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Another glaring issue I am seeing are the 1 tile wide strips of tall grass people seem to be using. It makes for an unnatural look for the tall gras, if you want it to look patchy, use a 2x2 placement and skew it or something, don't make a 1 wide strip, it looks horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back