• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Migrating to Gen 6

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I will. I'll be transfering the starters from the other regions so that way I can get them all (hopefully, each time I get close a new generation seems to start before I can.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
You likely will be unable to import until post-E4. Therefore, I think the answer is no, at least until after the E4 or unless someone who finished the game before you imports them and sends them back to you in the new generation (or, heaven forbid, you have two 3DS systems and transfer them to the first, which is finished, to trade to the second and thus play the game with Kanto starters or somesuch).

I intend to import any special Pokémon (like Events) and have them available for trade in Generation VI. Eventually.

Cyclone

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
They better be able to, I'm saving my newly hatched Shiny Eevee for Y.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
They better be able to, I'm saving my newly hatched Shiny Eevee for Y.
Better get both games, complete one, and then import and trade to use it on the other. Otherwise I doubt you'll have an easy time accomplishing that mission.

Cyclone

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
I think they will.How else could we catch them all?I dont care whether it is after the E4 or before i just want my Hydreigon Zoroark and Magmortar in Y so i can finally play online.

Years
I'm working like a dog to get my Dex filled before X/Y so they had better be able to import.
Also the reason that pokemon could not transfer into R/S was because of the addition of natures and ivs. As for D/P they split the special and physical so the pokemons stats were unchanged. hopefully the game mechanics for pokemon stats are the same leaving no reason to block importing. (also with the competitive play I doubt they would change anything. And with 2 games launching they would not have all of the pokemon without importing meaning an unfillable pokedex )

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Sorry, but that makes no sense. If you want a fresh start, you can have one - just don't transfer anything over. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Hm? Oh no, I do a fresh start every game and only import in old pokemon after I've completed it...mostly because I have to. But, if they cut us off, and EVERYONE had a fresh start, then that would be insanely fun...no more increasingly rare starter pokemon that cannot be obtained unless you bought the previous game. Plus, I want a Hoenn remake which is probably only going to happen if you can't transfer Pokemon from the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. REmember, this is just my opinion...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I hope they have something like the World Tournament, but with 6v6. That is probably what will determine the transferring of my battling Pokemon or not, I was excited to transfer them over to B2 but decided not to when I learned the World Tournament is only 3v3 (isn't it?).

I might transfer over my boxes full of shinies and such to an XY game, because I trade with those and it's kinda fun for a while. Unfortunately the transferring system takes FOREVER so I hope this time we can transfer x amount of Pokemon over and not just 6 at a time. Jeez, that was slow!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hm? Oh no, I do a fresh start every game and only import in old pokemon after I've completed it...mostly because I have to. But, if they cut us off, and EVERYONE had a fresh start, then that would be insanely fun...no more increasingly rare starter pokemon that cannot be obtained unless you bought the previous game. Plus, I want a Hoenn remake which is probably only going to happen if you can't transfer Pokemon from the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. REmember, this is just my opinion...

I think it would be very unintelligent for Game Freak to do that. Not being able to use your old Pokémon was one of the main criticisms of R/S/E. Plus it would mean not all Pokémon would be available until more games come out.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think they will only allow transfer from 5th gen to XY. It makes no sense to release one game in a year and then render all the Pokémon useless because they can't be transferred. Although they already did this with Crystal version which came in 2001 and then RS came in 2002 and had no backwards compatibility...

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I am hoping for the ability to transfer from 5 to 6. I want this because I have several Pokemon with good stats and natures that I'd like to use for breeding in the new games. Among them are my Manectric, Salamence, and Tyranitar. If everything as far as stats, etc. remained the same but there was no way to migrate Pokemon, I'd be really annoyed. If there was some sort of overhaul to the IV system or something, though, I think I'd be alright with it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I don't think they'll revamp the IV and EV system, for the sole reason that it's a reasonably good system. If they make a modification, it will be on top of the current system, not replace it.

I don't know how Gamefreak never thought of it, but I'd like to see an EV bar next to the stats, so that we can see how many EVs the Pokémon has. Every RPG has this, why not Pokémon? Right now EVs are sort of "unofficial", even though Gamefreak acknowledges their existence (otherwise the Frontier Pokémon wouldn't be EV trained).

I have a huge and probably impossible dream that every Pokémon should be unique. Well, they all are, even the obvious ripoffs like Beautifly, but some aren't different enough. For example, the Normal/Flying birds. Pidgeot, Fearow, Swellow, Dodrio and Unfezant are all outclassed by Staraptor and Braviary, because they're basically the same Pokémon with a slightly different stat distribution and movepool. I dunno, maybe give Pidgeot some moves that make it benefit from its balanced stats, or give Swellow a Ground-type move to get past Rock-types more easily. I'd also like to see a boost to Braviary, because it was supposed to be the bird that ends all birds, yet people still prefer Staraptor due to its speed.

Back to topic, it will be quite funny to see the possibilities with migration if 6th gen allows it. You'll be able to migrate a Pokémon caught in the elderly Ruby and Sapphire all the way to X and Y, provided you have the necessary games, two DS's and a 3DS (you don't even need a GBA). At some point they'll have to cut the compatibility, but it doesn't seem likely.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Cerberus87 said:
Although they already did this with Crystal version which came in 2001 and then RS came in 2002 and had no backwards compatibility...

That was done because Nintendo didn't manage (or should I say "try") to get GBC and GBA games to work together, not a decision by Game Freak. But since we have proof that 3DS apps can work with DS games (Dream Radar) , and if Streetpass is any indication, they can work with 3DS games as well (meaning that Gen 5 -> Gen 6 migration will probably be through a special 3DS app) let's say we're safe for now :) .

Tielur said:
Also the reason that pokemon could not transfer into R/S was because of the addition of natures and ivs.

If GBA and GBC could connect, even if the changes between Gen 2 and 3 were drastic, what prevented them from putting in a routine that would convert EV/IVs, recalculate stats, set a Nature and Ability at random etc? Or at the very least create a "close enough" Pokémon with the same moves, species, gender etc but with EVs set to 0 and IVs set to some default values? Plus, with Game Freak so bent on insisting that their games are all about trading, putting time and effort in the development of something rather useless (contests) while forgetting all about connectivity with the previous titles is honestly a huge out-of-character moment... unless they had absolutely no means to ensure any kind of connectivity in the first place, in which case they simply had no choice.

As a programmer, I often have to deal with data conversion at work. Trust me, as long as you have the technical specs for both formats (which GF did, since they designed them) , conversion is rather easy to implement. IMHO, if that's their excuse for not being compatible with Gen 2, then it's rather... pathetic.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
That was done because Nintendo didn't manage (or should I say "try") to get GBC and GBA games to work together, not a decision by Game Freak. But since we have proof that 3DS apps can work with DS games (Dream Radar) , and if Streetpass is any indication, they can work with 3DS games as well (meaning that Gen 5 -> Gen 6 migration will probably be through a special 3DS app) let's say we're safe for now :) .

I hope so, having two DS just to transfer Pokémon is a waste of money. :D

Though I think they did this because they expected people to play BW on the DSi, so the players would probably have two DS's anyway (a Phat/Lite and a DSi).

If GBA and GBC could connect, even if the changes between Gen 2 and 3 were drastic, what prevented them from putting in a routine that would convert EV/IVs, recalculate stats, set a Nature and Ability at random etc? Or at the very least create a "close enough" Pokémon with the same moves, species, gender etc but with EVs set to 0 and IVs set to some default values? Plus, with Game Freak so bent on insisting that their games are all about trading, putting time and effort in the development of something rather useless (contests) while forgetting all about connectivity with the previous titles is honestly a huge out-of-character moment... unless they had absolutely no means to ensure any kind of connectivity in the first place, in which case they simply had no choice.

As a programmer, I often have to deal with data conversion at work. Trust me, as long as you have the technical specs for both formats (which GF did, since they designed them) , conversion is rather easy to implement. IMHO, if that's their excuse for not being compatible with Gen 2, then it's rather... pathetic.

The problem is that the GBA could play GB games, but couldn't do anything else with them. Of course, this could've been solved with a special accessory to enable transfer of data, but Nintendo would never release an accessory just for one franchise. Even the Transfer Pak for the N64, which came bundled with Pokémon Stadium and was used primarily by Pokémon games, wasn't Pokémon-exclusive (I think Perfect Dark used it, as well as Mario Tennis and other N64 games with GB counterparts).

The main problem is the calculation of EVs. Up to GSC, Pokémon gained stat exp on all stats, so they could max out all stats. From RS onwards, they could only max out two stats. If you converted data using a very strict guideline, you'd end up with a 2nd gen Pokémon in 3rd gen with illegal stats. If you erased all stat exp data during the conversion, level 100 Pokémon would become useless since they weren't able to gain EVs back then.

Finally, the introduction of natures meant that all Pokémon from earlier generations would have to have a neutral nature and wouldn't be very useful competitively.

It should be possible to convert (as the transfer we see nowadays is nothing more than conversion of data), but the results would not be usable in the new games.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... migrating Pokémon from Generation V to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, would be something I would be doing if I had some Pokémon from Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2 that I wouldn't be able to get in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. It would be really handy. ;)

If Game Freak made Pokémon X and Y incompatible of transferring Pokémon from Generation V, it would make it intriguing to you in the fact that you'd have to re-obtain the event Legendary Pokémon from special events all over again from scratch in brand new events in newer games (in which could also be in the remakes in Generation VI).

But to me... and pretty much alot of people... it would be really disappointing, 'cause there are some Pokémon that some people would really like to transfer over into the new games (which mainly would be the event Legendaries), 'cause you never know that those event Legendary Pokémon might not come back as obtainable until 7 or more years later. But then again... we'd have the Nintendo Network where from time to time there might be rare Legendary Pokémon, but how often does it happen in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Very rare, and most of the Pokémon given out are just ordinary Legendary Pokémon that are already obtainable in previous games, like a Mewtwo for example.

So yeah, I'd pretty much disagree in my opinion about not being able to transfer Pokémon from Generation V.

But if you're thinking about how Generation III was not transferable between Generation II and III, pretty much the reason why Game Freak didn't have transferring between Generation II and III, would be simply because the Game Boy Advance is not compatible with transferring data from a Game Boy Color game. And I know, Game Boy Advance was very limited in the amount of stuff it had with previous handhelds, even though it was backwards compatible with playing Game Boy games. Nintendo did make that mistake with their handhelds back then, but when they were developing the Nintendo DS... they made sure to never make that same mistake again. And I'm sure The Pokémon Company did indeed get alot of complaints about not being able to transfer their Pokémon from Gold/Silver/Crystal.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
The problem is that the GBA could play GB games, but couldn't do anything else with them
I know ^^ . The part you quoted was more a "what-if" scenario I used to illustrate my point: if they could make Gen 2 -> Gen 3 transfers, they would have.

The main problem is the calculation of EVs. Up to GSC, Pokémon gained stat exp on all stats, so they could max out all stats. From RS onwards, they could only max out two stats. If you converted data using a very strict guideline, you'd end up with a 2nd gen Pokémon in 3rd gen with illegal stats. If you erased all stat exp data during the conversion, level 100 Pokémon would become useless since they weren't able to gain EVs back then.

I don't know everything 100% about EVs, but how about this algorithm (I put it in a spoiler tag, it's just... way too nerdy for this topic ^^) .
Spoiler:

Finally, the introduction of natures meant that all Pokémon from earlier generations would have to have a neutral nature and wouldn't be very useful competitively.
You can always randomize the IVs, just like they do for wild Pokémon. The possibilities are endless.

But in all seriousness, in my opinion, with how much Pokémon developers value connectivity, if GBC/GBA trades were possible, they wouldn't have overhauled the data structure so drastically in the first place. Just look at Gen 2, with the amount of features they introduced (genders, held items, shininess, Pokérus, Special stat split, different forms for Unown) they already needed an overhaul! I hid the explanation to why they didn't do it in another spoiler tag, because, again, I find it way too nerdy :) (not to mention, off topic) .
Spoiler:

I'm not saying they wouldn't have changed the structure at all if Gen 2 -> Gen 3 was a possibility, I'm just saying the EV/IV thing wouldn't have been so drastically different, the changes would have been implemented more progressively. But not needing to ensure compatibility with the previous game because the hardware itself couldn't do it allowed them to rebuild (at least) the EV/IV thing from scratch without ever thinking of how the conversion would work
So... the entire GBA/GBC incompatibility was a blessing in disguise for them. Now that they had the chance to create an EV/IV mechanic and data structure that work really well and get us used to one-way trades, they don't need to block transfers anymore.

Aquaphyre

水が好きな人
Years
What if they made a separate program for the 3DS which allowed you to save pokemon from Gen 5 to it, and then you could just transfer them, kinda like how the Dream Radar works?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It'd be nice if we can use something along the lines of Unova Link to transfer from Gen. V, even from Gen. IV (but they go through V NEway). I don't foresee that however and am figuring I will be dealing with moving White 2 to the older DS to import.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2014
I really wanna take my shiny ponyta over there :(

It's level 92 and I don't plan on letting evolve :P

Miniduffa

Pokeshipper and Proud
Years
I think it's pretty much a given we'll be able to migrate to Gen VI. With the large focus on competitive battling, I think it would be a big middle finger to anyone who'd want to use Pokemon they've been training since 2003 if they can't migrate them over.

Back