• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Physical or digital?

Physical Copy or Digital Copy?

• Physical Copy

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Digital Copy

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
For my games, I prefer physical copies. I love collecting the boxes, actually.
I don't have a 3DS yet but I've heard that games are only console-tied, which sucks because if you lose your 3DS, you are toast @_@

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Physical, it's good to have a back up just in case. I feel more confident that a DVD will last more so than a mechanical hard drive which tends to fail a lot. Course that may not be much of an issue once SSD prices come down. Still, even then, there is viruses that could threaten my software so I prefer to have a physical copy around just in case.

When it comes to consoles/portables, I may purchase a digital copy (I've done so 3 times so far) if the game is hard to find or if I'm too lazy to go to the store. I usually regret this later though because it eats up SD card or HDD space. >_< For some games digital may be the only way to do it. The PSP seems notorious for having digital only copies. :|

Brizz

TM87
Years
While most of the music on my iPhone has come straight from iTunes, I've recently started buying my albums at the local entertainment store as well as borrowing albums from one of my friends who has a very large collection.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Even better, why pay for it when I could just download it?

Umm...to support the music industry? (Or games, or whatever). I mean, you could argue stealing from Coldplay etc. isn't going to make much of a difference, but it does to smaller bands trying to gain a living from making music.

Admittedly, I use to download...but now I always pay or stream. Just seems wrong not to.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I don't care as long as I have it. Digital is faster and more convenient so I usually go with that.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
I voted for physical copy when it comes to music, I really can't stand low quality songs, some songs I've bought over the internet have lost just so much more when you compare them to the physical copy using the same setup for both. I'd buy all my music digitally if everything was available in high quality/loss less, but not everything is possible...

As of movies and other kind of media, totally going for digital, I just I've made enough backups of everything and hope for the best.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I love having physical copies, but sometimes I am too impatient and buy the digital one.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Call me old-fashioned, but I love being able to hold the media in my hand and call it my own. I also like to have plenty of stuff to show off in my house, so yeah, the two traits compliment each other.

"Here, allow me to show you my Laserdisc collection....it's vintage and awesome."

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Well for me it depends. when you talk about movies and music I prefer to have a digital copy. On the other hand when it comes to books I prefer the physical copy then you can truly appreciate the work done and put in the book.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
Years
For music, I don't really mind having the digital copy, especially since I generally buy it through iTunes anyways.

For books & video games, I definitely want the physical copy. At least if something happens to my game system, I won't have to worry about losing all of my games as well.

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2014
For true keepsakes, I prefer having a physical copy. This is not to say I dislike digital copies so much. Digital copies are great because they are transferable and many can be contained in a small, portable electronic player. However, I grew up around corporeality, so physical copies are closer to home.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Being able to put my anime, DVDs, CDs, and games on a shelf really means a lot to me. :)

I much prefer having physical copies to digital copies.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Physical. I hate downloading stuff. I feel that I don't own music or a movie unless I can hold a legitimate copy in my hands. The only time I download anything is if a physical copy is extremely difficult to find.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I prefer to have physical copies of movies/shows/CDs/whatever.
I'm a big collector of DVDs/Blu-rays/CDs. There's just something I really like about seeing a shelf full of my favorite movies/shows/books/CDs.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Honestly it depends on the thing.. like I love physical copies of artbooks because the print is more true to what the artwork is supposed to be like..

But I would've said physical in general.. however having to move has left me having to leave a lot of my stuff behind which is a bit sad.. so that's why I am saying digital nowadays.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
This is a rather interesting question. Most of the time I go for the cheapest option, rather than decide whether to go to that shop to buy it or not. Most of the time I usually go digitally, because I'll be able to find out the price straight away so that I can make a decision. On the other hand some music shops may possibly be on the verge of closing down so maybe the prices will be cheaper in the shops than it is digitally.

Years
I prefer physical copies, having played with cartridges for many years. Collecting the boxes look nice and it actually feels like you have something. Especially with 3DS where digital copies are locked to your handheld, I prefer having a physical copy because if you lose the 3DS with tons of video games then what? It's one of Nintendo's business practice that I really don't understand.

Back