• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
This seems controversial among people. Which do you say and which do you prefer to be said to you? If you don't celebrate Christmas (or agree with it because of your religion), do you find it offensive to be told "Merry Christmas" during this season?

(Please excuse my typos. Spellcheck is being weird and it randomly takes half of a word, thinks that it's a separate word, and claims that it's spelled wrong.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I really, really, seriously don't care. I don't say any of them to people, I always just say "Have a nice day", and if someone says either to me I automatically reply "you too" without thinking of what it is.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I say Merry Christmas cause that's just what we say here. It's not like it's a bad or offensive message, nor is it given in a rude fashion to where even if you don't celebrate it, you shouldn't feel the need to get all upset over it. And the same goes for Happy Holidays. It doesn't freaking matter. Both are positive messages, so why the fuss? It's not like people are saying "go **** yourself." That's a reason to be upset.

Sirfetch’d

I say Merry Christmas because the Holiday we celebrate is Christmas. If you don't celebrate it, just ignore it and move on.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I don't attribute modern Christmas to any religion, and I think it's silly to do so, but I still say "Happy Holidays" because it's a term that encompasses every holiday happening around the same time. I don't take offense to Merry Christmas.

If any holiday has the ability to be offensive, it's Thanksgiving.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This seems controversial among people. Which do you say and which do you prefer to be said to you? If you don't celebrate Christmas (or agree with it because of your religion), do you find it offensive to be told "Merry Christmas" during this season?

(Please excuse my typos. Spellcheck is being weird and it randomly takes half of a word, thinks that it's a separate word, and claims that it's spelled wrong.)

Happy Holidays, because of the different religions, not everyone celebrates christmas and I dont want to offend anyone. Me personally IDC which one is said to me because I celebrate christmas..

Also I wanna note I work for the salvation army, when I'm helping with the kettle work, I am supposed to thank someone for their donation and wish them either a merry christmas or happy holidays, I always say happy holidays

Years
Whichever works for me. If you're so sensitive over this due to your religion and get offended, loosen up. It's the Holidays and good will towards all men and women. I would use a quote the Angry Video Game Nerd said about Christmas greetings, but I can't say it here.

Personally, I never say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays when I go out and buy something. If someone does say that to me, I at least thank them for that

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I celebrate Christmas, so I say Merry Christmas unless someone says Happy Holidays to me first, then I'll say it back. Even to people who don't. I really don't care how they take it. If someone gets offended from me saying that, honestly, I would be thrilled. I love offending people in stupid ways like that, because it means that they have some things to take care of if they take things that seriously.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
It's Christmas time so....I'll say Merry Christmas...because it's Christmas time?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Interesting. (:

I myself say "Merry Christmas". After all, that usually is the holiday in "happy holidays"!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I use "Happy Holidays" if I'm referencing the entire season (like from... American Thanksgiving through to New Year's).

If it's the week of Christmas or thereabouts and I won't be seeing someone or won't be in contact with them by the actual date, then I'll wish them a Merry Christmas.

I have no problem wishing others a Merry Christmas, even if they aren't of the same religion or any religion. I'd have no problem if someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah even though I'm not Jewish, for example. It's giving someone well wishes for a day that's important to you. Although, I'd likely wish someone who is Jewish both a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas. (And whatever else is applicable for other religions and cultures and whatever)

And over all, "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings" doesn't bug me at all. Seeing "X-mas" does though.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Here in Spain, it's the Christmas Holidays, and it doesn't matter whether you believe in Jesus or not, it's the name these two weeks get and that's it. If someone says "happy holidays" so he doesn't "offend" non-catholic people, we look at him all "uuuh... 'Christmas' doesn't offend anybody".

It also helps that the Spanish word, 'Navidad' doesn't have 'Christ' anywhere, I guess?

Years
I say Merry Christmas, cos I'm catholic.

Also, I second what Went said. Christmas doesn't offend anybody, not even non-catholics.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I say "Happy Christmas" unless I know for a fact that the person I am greeting does not celebrate Christmas. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I'm a Christian who celebrates Christmas.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I say Merry Christmas because of my religion , but also because I don't get how people can get offended by two words. It's silly if people do.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I use "Happy Holidays" if I'm referencing the entire season (like from... American Thanksgiving through to New Year's).

If it's the week of Christmas or thereabouts and I won't be seeing someone or won't be in contact with them by the actual date, then I'll wish them a Merry Christmas.

I have no problem wishing others a Merry Christmas, even if they aren't of the same religion or any religion. I'd have no problem if someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah even though I'm not Jewish, for example. It's giving someone well wishes for a day that's important to you. Although, I'd likely wish someone who is Jewish bother a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas. (And whatever else is applicable for other religions and cultures and whatever)

And over all, "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings" doesn't bug me at all. Seeing "X-mas" does though.
I agree with you. It makes sense saying "holidays" before Thanksgiving, but the thought never occurred to me before.

Exactly. I mean, my family is Christian, but if someone were to tell us "Happy Passover" (wrong season, yes), I wouldn't be bothered (and frankly, my family celebrates it anyway).

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I say Merry Christmas, I don't relate this holiday to religion at all. I just find it's a fantastic holiday to hang out with your family and friends and give presents to each other and have a good time together.

Back