• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Lati Hunt

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
So guys, I want to talk about Latios and Latias.
More specifically, what one did you encounter? How long did it take you? Was it random or were you hunting? Also, most importantly, how did you react?

For me, I chose Latios in Emerald. I wasn't reaaaally looking for it but I was wanting it so badly.
I caught it with a Master Ball just outside the Trick House (?) (the place where you always had to find the guy who was hiding)

My reaction was pretty fantastic in my opinion, I was eating lunch and playing away. It was soup and of course I had the encounter when i was midway through eating it. My mum thought I was having a heart attack or something because I just started to go "WWWWOOOOOOAAAAA" with a mouthful of soup, with massive widened eyes.

It wasn't nice. So yeah Latios went into my PC and I never used him :15:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Nice reaction! ;P

I encountered Latias in Sapphire, I was hunting it and it only took under 5 minutes...
I had a Level 30 Staryu with the Illuminate ability leading the party. I used a couple of Max Repels searching in the grass south of the Trick House.
I'd run around in the grass for a bit then enter the building close by where the cycling road is, exit and repeat again.
Used a Master Ball and boxed it! ;D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon Ruby, I had the chance to encounter Latios for a total of four times (maybe it was five, but I don't quite remember). The first time I've encountered it was in Route 113, I believe. I was randomly walking around in the grass when I encountered Latios, trying to find a Bold-natured Skarmory. My reaction was pretty great. I was quite... astonished. xD I haven't been able to capture it, though. It was at full health when I had thrown my Poké Ball, which caused it to break free. The second time I ran into this Pokémon, I was able to paralyze it with the help of my Magneton. Then, it quickly fled. When I encountered it for the third time, I threw an Ultra Ball towards it, which it also broke away from. Eventually, I lost my patience, and decided to use my Master Ball on it.

Unfortunately, since I had used a Master Ball, capturing Latios didn't feel like too big of an accomplishment to me. :( If I had utilized some other type of Poké Ball, then maybe I would've been proud of it a little more.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I use 2 Goldbats with Quick Claw, Mean Looks, then throw and throw at Latias.

I used a Masterball on Latios as I got too lazy.

Years
I was surprised the first time I ran into one of them. They were my first roaming legendary, and I valued them a lot. I usually went on my bike going from Verdanturf town to the route next to Mauville city, to see if it goes there as I was checking my map. At first it was quite annoying trying to catch it, but after I gained experience in learning moves and abilities. I trained a Trapinch, Wobbuffet and a Golbat, which made it easier for me to capture Latios/Latias with a pokeball.

Sirfetch’d

My first gen 3 game was Ruby, so I obviously encountered Latios. I recall encountering him numerous times, but I never had what it took to catch him. I had already used my Master Ball on Groudon and I didn't have a Pokemon with Mean Look so he just kept fleeing from battle. I eventually decided to just test my luck and throw random Pokeballs at him each time that I encountered him and I got really lucky on one encounter. I threw an Ultra Ball(not expecting to catch him at all) and to mu surprise, I caught him! However, I boxed him and never really used him after that.

As for Emerald, I opted to go for Latias because I like her so much more, but this time I was prepared. I saved my Master Ball and caught her very easily. Unlike Latios though, she did find a spot on my team ;D

Years
I like Latios more so I always picked "Blue" on Emerald. Obvoiusly I made some efforts to catch it, and after a long while I managed to catch it and it became part of my team.

Years
I had Sapphire, so I ended up with Latias on my game. The first time I encountered it was very shortly after I had beaten the Elite Four for the first time, and my next plan was to go to the Safari Zone for some reason. So, I flew to Lilycove and who should the first Pokemon I find on Route 121 be but Latias. I caught her right away with a Master Ball, since I knew she was a roaming Pokemon (and I had no desire chasing her all around the region like I did with Raikou/Entei/Suicune on Gold).

Years
I played Ruby so that meant I got Latios.

Sadly I still haven't caught him to this day. (Even though I did eventually catch a Latios in my Black 2)

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
I played Ruby so obviously I got Latios, I got my Latios when I defeated the Elite Four and then walked around the grass near the Safari Zone the Latios appeared I used the Masterball that didn't use on Groudon (I used a Pokeball and captured it on the 5th time it broke free) then boom I got it then used it in My team.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
230px-380Latias.png

LATITAS

Yeah Latitas i a great cool legendary to catch but i only caught him once i caught him in Route 113 in Emerald. it was just a like a fire in a hole thing ha ha i mean i never ever thought to catch it i know about it but nah.. i wasn't interested on it i was just going to battle with trainers again so i was calling a trainer (Forgot the name) then the trainer called me to come in Route 113 to battle (It's not event i just match called him) then when i was going to battle the trainer suddenly the Latitas appeared i said "Gosh !!!!!!!! Great great great yes yes yes yes !!!!!!" ha ha i was just excited that time. I used my Blaziken and used a fiery (Like fire, Very hot) Flamethorwer but didn't effect much :( Then choose my Dragonite (Got by Trade) and used a Dragon rage which take Latitos HP to Yellow then used an ultraball but nah.. not caught then again a ultraball this time the Ball did a good work and also my Dragonite i caught the Latitas but i didn't use him in League fight cause i had some more strong type Normal types to take.

Latias is a bird-like, dragon Pokémon. It has an aerodynamic body and glass-like down feathers. The lower half of its body is red with jet-plane wings and fin-like feet. It has a blue triangular marking on its chest. It has white and red arms that can be tucked into its body. The upper-half of its body is white. It has triangular ears and a red face with a white pentagon in the middle. Latias is a female only species; Latios is the male counterpart.
Latias ruffles its feathers and cry loudly when there is hostility toward it. Its downy feathers can enfold its body and refract light, which allows it to become invisible or alter its appearance. It can also use its down to use its signature move, Mist Ball. It is highly intelligent and can understand human speech. It is capable using telepathy to communicate with others. In the fifth movie, Latias had the ability "Sight Sharing", which allowed Latias and people around it to see exactly what Latios was seeing. It normally does not make contact with humans or other Pokémon, and disappears when an enemy is nearby. It forms herds with several members, and is usually found near water.

280px-381Latios.png

Latios

Well it also a great Pokemon but same as above i done the same thing with it. :P but i caught it in maybe route 21 or something and i also didn't use it in League. And i like it Dragon Pulse and Memento very much.

You know Latios is a bird-like, dragon Pokémon. It has an aerodynamic body. The lower half of its body is blue with jet-plane wings and fin-like feet. It has a red triangular marking on its chest. By tucking its wings and forelimbs, it can fly faster than a jet. It has white and blue arms that can be tucked into its body. The upper-half of its body is white. It has triangular ears and a blue face with a white pentagon in the middle. Latios is a male only species; Latias is the female counterpart.
In the fifth movie, Latios had the ability "Sight Sharing" which allowed Latias and people around it to see exactly what Latios was seeing. Oakley also mentioned that it can shape-shift. It prefers compassionate Trainers, to whom it opens its heart. It uses telepathy to detect locations and the emotions of others, and can understand human speech. It lives by the water's edge. Latios is the only known Pokémon capable of learning Luster Purge.

Its said that Even in hiding, it can detect the locations of others and sense their emotions since it has telepathy. Its intelligence allows it to understand human languages.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
The only third generation game I ever owned myself was Ruby, so naturally Latios was the Lati of my game, but in all honesty, I never caught it. Actually, the first time I encountered it, I was in such a hurry to go and catch Rayquaza, and paid no attention to the fact that this rather special looking Pokemon which I'd never encountered before suddenly appeared, and I simply ran away from it. I think it was mainly the fact that I'd been used to how legendaries were always either stationary overworld sprites, or how you had to trigger an event to set them free. But no-no, all you had to do was beat the E4 and they went roaming around out there.

But yeah, once I realised that it was a legendary (which my mom actually pointed out lol), I immediately started my hunt, but like with the legendary beasts, I didn't manage to capture it :( ONE DAY!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
When I first saw Latias, I thought it was a rare occurrence in the water (after hunting for Chimecho in Mt. Pyre I would've believed anything) and so I weakened her with a Surf. Surprisingly, she fled and when I looked at the area, it showed somewhere quite far away from the sea area of my first encounter. Since then I've been hunting for Latias (sometimes I used to fly to random places in the hope that she would spawn there) and through the times I managed to weaken her more. At a final point I encountered her not too far away from my first encounter, and using Crobat's Mean Look I trapped her. It was hard to hold on (I used about 15 Hyper Potions because of her Psychic and Mist Ball) but eventually her attacking moves' PP ran out. So while she kept using Refresh I threw Ultra Ball after Ultra Ball. I never had any status afflicting moves with me, so it was harder. I managed to catch her after approximately 34 Ultra Balls, which I considered lucky since she turned out to be a tough nut. I went on to use her as a permanent member in my party and taught her Thunder which I combined with Kyogre's Drizzle to win many a battle.

All in all, it was really fun and I'm disappointed to note that I wouldn't ever have the energy again to do such a quest. My all time favourite hunt.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
In my Emerald game, I was just training my Metang up. I was going under the Cycling Road to reach some Rare Collector when suddenly Latias popped up. I had no idea it was there, and I couldn't be bothered to hunt it down anyway. I did have a Master Ball waiting to be used at that time so you know what happened.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2014
I also chose Latios om my emerald version. I encountered him in the patch of grass just outside of Slateport city. At first I thought it was going to be very hard to find but I eventually caught it using my masterball. You should have seen the look on my 8 year old face after I managed to find and catch that pesky legendary!

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
I never knew about the existence of Latias on my Sapphire, then one day suddenly it appeared! I was awestruck and sadly haven't caught him in these 8 years as I had used my master ball on Rayquaza.......... So sad :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
I got Suicine, I spent around 2 hours with max repels + level 50 pokemon in party, couldn't find it.

Decided to go catch Articuno and was surfing towards its cave, and Suicine popped up :D

Back