• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What's your most favorite status ailment to take advantage of?

Years
Bad poison, confusion and Infatuation... I can use all of them against one Pokemon, just wonderful.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Paralysis when I want to catch wild Pokemon, it makes it a bit easier, so if the Pokeball didn't caught it the first time theres a chance Pokemon can't move and keep mine alive longer (especially when I want to catch one that is at a high type or level advantage over my own Pokemon).

Sleep is the other one I like to try and use a lot (attack Sing has a tendency to miss a lot), to make it a bit easier in a Pokemon battle, again especially when I'm at a disadvantage either by type or level. Also Paralysis too.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Taunt is great for walls, freeze/sleep basically guarantee you free turns so they're always good to 'abuse'.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
I'm not really a big abuser of status but I guess the one I use the most would be Thunder wave the plethora of fast powerful frail sweepers in todays metagame are completely ruined when paralyzed my favorite pokemon to abuse this move is a toss up between ferrothorn and Jirachi a little leaniant towards jirachi because of the paraflinch hax ^_^

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Poison! I use Toxic on Chansey, so I'm usually able to stall them out :3 I don't actively use Thunder wave but that's also pretty useful.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
ParaConfusion for me especially with Air Slash. It just makes your opponent so annoyed :3

Years
I have to say Paralysis, sometimes it can give you the crucial speed advantage you need. Also Taunt is great for shutting down those who rely on support moves a lot. Toxic poison is also great if you have a Guts user like Heracross or something with Poison Heal.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
Years
Taunt and Paralysis. Paralysis over burn as it cripples almost all offensive pokemon where as burn only shuts down physical attackers. A fast taunt will ruin utility/wall mons and prevent opponents from setting up.

Rarely abuse confusion, mostly just cannot find a slot for it and prefer to use the moveslot for something else usually to allow for more coverage. Freeze is nice but the low probability rates of it occurring make it to unreliable. Sleep is fun to abuse, two good abusers of this would be Breloom and Amoongus, two of the few pokemon to receive spore.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Paralysis is one of my favourite statuses to abuse, as the loss of speed and chance of a useless turn is too good to pass up. It's also easy to inflict, with Thunder Wave being commonplace among defensive Pokemon. Burn is nice, too: it's great seeing your opponent's attacks suddenly do pittance as their health is slowly wittled away.

While Freeze differs from the above two in that it's difficult to inflict, it's really entertaining to see your frustrated opponent let out a tirade of curses as they roll the dice to thaw out their Pokemon. They can be frozen indefinitely, and they become completely useless when frozen. Difficult to land, but great to watch.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'll take FREEZE, because FREEZE works like a BOSS, and you get to show everyone just how much of a BOSS you are, and they drop scared. The treat is that they're indefinitely immobilized and also you can use most Fire-type moves to deal BOSS damage, albeit they will thaw out.

In Mystery Dungeon we couldn't use Physical moves on a Frozen Pokémon, and that was rather annoying but realistic. And since Freezing is rare, it just shows how much of a BOSS it is.

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Paralysis by far. Seeing as I'm an electric trainer this always comes in handy.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Paralysis and bad poison are easiest to take advantage of. Having been using stall much during Gen IV, I can't quite shake the habit of incorporating a wall with Toxic into my team.

Years
Unfortunately, unlike everyone who likes poison and paralysis, i like to use spore or sleep powder, it makes battling pokemon easier and if you run into a shiney along the way you can easily put it to sleep and use false swipe to catch it.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
I only really abuse sleep. Using spore allows me to put potentially devastating sweeper out of commission, usually forcing a switch or allowing me time to kill it. If the sleep clause is not in effect, I can simply put an entire team to sleep.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I've always enjoyed the confusion status ailment. I personally find it funny watching a Pokemon hitting itself in its confusion, unless it is my Pokemon. My second place goes to Toxic, as its very useful on Pokemon with high defenses, and it has surprisingly large distribution.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
... i have a blisey with 2 status aliment moves...
i never use them.

it would probably be paralysis,because it makes sweppers just about killable.
(exept deoxys-s)

srinator

paralysis and flinch , cause everyone know how annoying a paraflinch hax is :3

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

paralysis and flinch , cause everyone know how annoying a paraflinch hax is :3
Actually went in just to say this. But anyway, maybe i should add more.

Separately, they're both still good and annoying, although paralysis has it's clear advantages -- half speed + 50% chance of not doing anything.

edit: ...that awkward moment in PC when you realize the thread is months old...
edit2: ...and then you realize that the last post wasn't really months old.

/facepalm

Last edited:
Back