• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mad Cow Disease. A another worry in the US

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
Years
Well, everyone heard about the infected cow that was found in the US during vacation?

I did... I gave up beef because of this... (I can live without beef for a while... though...)

Symtoms that I heard in a human is: Depression, forgetfullness, holes in brain.

Zento

Mushroom God
Years
Holes in the brain is a very hard symtom to expect isn't it? ^^;; You can't really see it right off the bat. XD;

Yeah, I stopped eating beef as well, at least I like chicken. ;-;
By any chance do you know what states were having issues with it? I'm trying to be aware, and I tend to forget.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2011
Yeesh.. I'm not that freaked out. I live in the seconed largest beef producing state in the US, Kansas. I live on a farm, even though we don't raise cattle.. Each farm that is around us has cattle. Around here when the first cow in Canada got Mad Cow, the beef prices shot up. But I knew if it was in Canada, it would get here. But anyway, there hasn't been any human cases of Mad Cow on this continent. So don't give up beef, unless you live near Washington and there are human cases

Alakazam

Banned
Years
I don't eat meat, but I eat fish, so I'm ok. I just think meat is gross, but I eat fish since I need some sort of protein, otherwise I would be dead. Thank you.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
I've never really enjoyed eating beef. Just the thought of a dead cow makes me sick. But... I do like chicken. ._. *gets kicked out of her Animal Protection group*

JK. XP I'm not going to completely stop eating meat, but I have cut down lately. (Not that I ate a lot of it anyways.) There's an extremely rare chance of anyone ever catching that disease, though if anyone wanted to quit eating meat then I wouldn't blame them. So many animals have become extinct--or nearly extinct, just because of some hunters that wanted to make a stupid fur coat. It's sad, really. I even read that the Bengal tiger should be extinct by 2010.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
no point in "*gasp* I'm not eating beef anymore!".

As cows have a LONG time before showing symtops of Mad Cow disease themselves. They can "hide" the disease up to 7 years long. So if you ate beef within the last 7 years, you got just as much chance of getting it as eating beef like usual or banning beef for your diet starting from today. Whatever you do, just have to depend on luck now...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Moo.

Er... yeah. I highly doubt there's anything to worry about. In the days after the initial incident, I was reading the papers and experts say that the cow likely contracted the disease because of the feed it was given was from the UK, I believe. The disease probably originated in one cow which was used to make feed for animals, which was then used to feed the cow which later contracted the disease. @_@; Whatever the cause, it's not making me give up beef. I love it and in my family, we often have once a week or more. =\ There has only been one case of BSE/Mad Cow originating in Canada (and possibly the one linked to Canada which occured in the US recently), so I don't really see the need to worry.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/index.html

The above URL is a pretty good page for information, if you want to know more. =\

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
nah... the chances is (mysterious number as there are too much related factor)/(how many cows there are in the whole world). The "Canada Mad Cow" incident earlier was actually a cow sold from the US -_-. So as you see it's too hard to track down where the disease came from (but the very first case in the world is found within UK boundaries). No point of "don't take chances now so don't eat cow" as you took the chances already by eating beef years ago...

Mystical Mewtwo

Or MM2 for lazy typers
Years
hey

Two cows are sitting on a hill. One says,

"Hey, bill, have you heard about this new mad cow disease? Are you worried?"

The other one replies,

"Why would i care? I'm a helecopter!"

Hehehe. Just lightening the mood. but it is something to worry about, but im not giving up on beef yet!

Legendary Anime

Old Legendary Monster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 25, 2004
You have a WHOLE lot better chance of getting appendecitise(sp?) which can kill you just as easily if not taken to a hospital fast. You shouldn't worry as much as you are about something like this.. May as well not eat anymore beef until they come up with a cure. But that's just stupid. ^~

~Legendary Anime, The Old Legendary Moderator

Last edited:
Back