• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Does that mean Fairy Type moves would be ineffective at Day when Battling a Dragon type??? Because they just get the power from the moon????

I really doubt that, would be pretty unfair if this was the case.

I'm still not sure how to feel about the type itself, but color me very interested.
Excited to see how it does against other types and what types are SE against fairy

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I'm not concerned about type matchups, but it seems like any cutesy-wutesy pokemon will be put into the fairy group now.

And the real matter at hand is: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ON ARCEUS' GREEN EARTH MARILL, OF ALL THINGS, IS A FAIRY?!?!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever understand why Marill is a Fairy Type. I think we'll see now that most of the normal typed 'cutesy-wutesy' Pokemon will become dual typed Normal|Fairy, rather than completely Fairy.

All in all, I would have much preferred for it to be called 'Light', but I'm sure I'll get used to it as I did with most of the Gen V Pokemon that I wasn't quite fond of when they first were released.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
In response to all of those saying the Fairy is effeminate and makes no sense, this clears things up well. Or for me it did.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairies_and_the_Fairy_Type

In many stories, fairies are mostly represented by mythical creatures who use magic. Magic is known to be strong against dragons. So to me it makes since that they're counterparts. I was more on the boat for Fairy being the new type and I like it. To me, Light or Sound or Magic or anything else makes no sense. Fairy fits it well. I'm now more ok with a new type than I was before. It balances the type chart out much more and making Dragon types more common and not so overpowered. And think about it, they've ,in a way ,used Umbreon, a then new Eeveelution, to introduce the Dark type , so it makes sense to me that they would use Sylveon to introduce a new type.

I'm not too surprised some older Pokemon got new typings and became part Fairy type. That's what happened in gen II when the Steel type was added and they made the Magnemite line part Steel. Why wouldn't do it again when introducing another type? It makes sense that Jigglypuff got retyped and I'm assuming it's pre evo and evo will too and Clefairy's will also become Fairy (or at least that's the sensible thing to do.). Gardevoir kind of makes sense since it's sor of fairy like and psychics are somewhat magical. It's odd that Marill is a Fairy type , but it could make Azumarill check out strong Dragon types like Hydreigon and make less overpowered. This new type will definitely change things up in competitive play.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Fairy might be over represented in XY to shore up the numbers. Marrill makes sense as a fairy, and he would be one of the better ones we know off.

I want to see a Fairy that looks like a dragon slayer. Probably would look like Sailor Moon Scouts. You know, Slyveon looks like a Sailor Scout.

MOON PRISM POWER

Okazaki~Tomoya

A place were dreams come true
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
I'm not happy with this new type purely because i really did not want to see any changes to the types at all. They should have left it alone.
I dont care that dragons have a weakness to it although it hardly makes any sense.
But shouldnt fairy be a counter to something more in the group? Like Ghost? and having a weakness to dark?

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Why does Marill make sense as Fairy Type? Because it "looks" the part stereotypically?

Why not Pikachu then? Or Sandshrew? They're both cute little mice Pokemon...

0_0 amagad Electric/Fairy Pikachuuuu. Won't happen because it's the mascot and that'd be a little too drastic, but still lol

blue

gucci
Years
Does that mean Azumarill will be part of the Fairy Type group too then? If not I can imagine a lot of people will prevent Marril from evolving and using an evolite on it to maximize it's power.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
First off, type doesn't make the pokemon. They can add Fairy type to a lot but if they don't have decent stats to back it up, that pokemon will not make much of a difference.

Second, Marill is in the Fairy Egg Group isn't it? Don't see why not. Fairy may go the same relation route as Dragon between type and Egg Group. Some won't make much sense.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Yeah, wonder if Pikachu, Clefairy (it has fairy in it's name, and has a relation to the moon!), and Chansey will become fairy as they belong to that group. And Audino too as it looks like a fairy to me.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Love this new type. Thought it was an odd choice originally, but now I can't wait for it! I can see lots of amazing pokemon in the fairy class. Hoping Chansey, Clefairy, Snubbull, Togekiss, and maybe Bellossom gain this typing.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Did they explain why they added Dark and Steel back in Gen 2? Or was it like a these types always existed thing? Because I don't know why I was expecting an explanation(besides the balancing ish) for a Fairy Type. So it will be like Fairy type had always existed?

Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
Years
Also it would be great if Gyarados and milotic get a second type added, Gyarados as Water/Dragon and Milotic as Water/Fairy and Marill line could be seen as counterpart of Horsea line where Kingdra is Water/Dragon

Gyarados has a second type already. He is a Water/Flying type. Though I do kinda wish they would replace the Flying with Dragon (For him and for Charizard both).

Years
I wonder if they'll have a Fairy/Dragon type.

Marill doesn't look like a fairy, but then again, it doesn't look like water either..it is a bit strange for it to be fairy type though I guess.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
You have all the potential pokemon that can have Fairy added to them here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairy_(Egg_Group)

Also it would be great if Gyarados and milotic get a second type added, Gyarados as Water/Dragon and Milotic as Water/Fairy and Marill line could be seen as counterpart of Horsea line where Kingdra is Water/Dragon

I would LOVE a Fairy-Dragon! Maybe the Y Legendary is one?

Milotic would make a great Fairy. It is base don a Mermaid right? Fairy-Game (*punz*)

Back