• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Updated through post #2542

Congratulations to ShadowHawke on being our first Gen 6 champion, Griffinbane on having the shortest completion time, Samurott01 on being the first Gen 6 Ultimate completer, and Sindrie for being the first to finish with Fairy type!

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Having had the time to play through the game normally on my copy of X, I have some new rules to instate. Firstly, Pokemon Amie will be banned from now on, with the exception being to evolve Eevee into Sylveon since it is the only method of doing so. The reason for this is because Pokemon with max bonds in Pokemon Amie receive powerful, game breaking buffs in battle, ranging from boosted experience, to surviving a kill hit, to avoiding attacks that are no miss, to curing themselves of status conditions. I had Pokemon survive that should have been knocked out all over during the Elite 4 and it really killed the challenge.

Second, Mega Evolutions are banned for the obvious reasons that they are as powerful as legendary Pokemon, such as Mewtwo. The less obvious reason is that not all types are represented in game with Mega Evolutions. There are Megas for every type, but only a handful are available within the confines of the main game.

Third and final, I am banning Exp Share. Some of you may not have heard, but the new Exp Share mechanics are really over powered, essentially allowing you to multiply your Exp output. Each Participating Pokemon receives 100% exp, and every other Pokemon receives 50% exp. It's almost cheating.

It kills me to ban these, but if you want a challenge, which is why you all are here in the first place, then these features have to be removed. There are 2 exceptions. There is a part of the game where you are forced to use a Mega Pokemon, which I will not elaborate on for fear of spoiling. This is obviously allowed. The other is in the case of raising an Eevee into Sylveon, which requires the use of Pokemon Amie.

Anyone playing Pokemon X or Y are free to continue using Pokemon with a high bond from Amie, but only if you did it before this post was made. Any further use of Pokemon Amie will be considered breaking the rules. Obviously, I can't really enforce this, so I'll have to trust that all of you will follow these new rules. Thank you for continuing to play my Challenge!

Last edited:
Years
The fact that you claim you'll have to trust us on that brings me to another thing i'm wondering: the note of people who go short on detail, i.e. they only make one post which covers everything for their entire challenge, they don't speak anything of what happens in important battles, etcetera. Not that I don't trust people who say they beat the game, but do you think people should have to at least provide summaries of some things that happen in important battles (i.e. Gym Leaders, villainous team leaders, Elite Four + Champion, etc)? In case you haven't seen from my posts, I always type full summaries of those battles just so it's made clear i'm not doing anything sketchy. Does anyone else think players should at least go a little in-detail on those battles for that purpose?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
That pretty much screws over people like me who picks up an old challenge once every few weeks and forgets to update in between. I donno about Necrum but I don't really think it's necessary. Besides, updates can be faked as well. The entire challenges section is based on trust. There's no reward other than having your name on THE LIST and if people need to cheat just so their name would be on it, they have issues.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Honestly, it would be just as easy to fake a detailed post, since the games are so set in stone and linear. A quick trip to Bulbapedia has all the info you would need. For a lot of people they play so fast it just becomes a blur. Everyone here probably knows that the 7th Gym leader in Platinum is Candice who uses Ice types. We don't really need to hear about it constantly. This entire forum relies on trust, and while I would prefer a better method, I choose to give people the benefit of the doubt. Obviously, if I see something out of place or fishy, I'm gonna call them out on it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Updated through post #2542

Congratulations to ShadowHawke on being our first Gen 6 champion, Griffinbane on having the shortest completion time, Samurott01 on being the first Gen 6 Ultimate completer, and Sindrie for being the first to finish with Fairy type!

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Having had the time to play through the game normally on my copy of X, I have some new rules to instate. Firstly, Pokemon Amie will be banned from now on, with the exception being to evolve Eevee into Sylveon since it is the only method of doing so. The reason for this is because Pokemon with max bonds in Pokemon Amie receive powerful, game breaking buffs in battle, ranging from boosted experience, to surviving a kill hit, to avoiding attacks that are no miss, to curing themselves of status conditions. I had Pokemon survive that should have been knocked out all over during the Elite 4 and it really killed the challenge.

Second, Mega Evolutions are banned for the obvious reasons that they are as powerful as legendary Pokemon, such as Mewtwo. The less obvious reason is that not all types are represented in game with Mega Evolutions. There are Megas for every type, but only a handful are available within the confines of the main game.

Third and final, I am banning Exp Share. Some of you may not have heard, but the new Exp Share mechanics are really over powered, essentially allowing you to multiply your Exp output. Each Participating Pokemon receives 100% exp, and every other Pokemon receives 50% exp. It's almost cheating.

It kills me to ban these, but if you want a challenge, which is why you all are here in the first place, then these features have to be removed. There are 2 exceptions. There is a part of the game where you are forced to use a Mega Pokemon, which I will not elaborate on for fear of spoiling. This is obviously allowed. The other is in the case of raising an Eevee into Sylveon, which requires the use of Pokemon Amie.

Anyone playing Pokemon X or Y are free to continue using Pokemon with a high bond from Amie, but only if you did it before this post was made. Any further use of Pokemon Amie will be considered breaking the rules. Obviously, I can't really enforce this, so I'll have to trust that all of you will follow these new rules. Thank you for continuing to play my Challenge!

O.o Wow, that's a lot. I'm removing the Exp. Share as I type. At least I didn't continue Pokemon Amie, but is Super Training allowed? I... kinda went into that. A lot.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2013
Username: Jojolaw
Type: Flying
Challenge: Challenge
Game(s): Red, Crystal, Emerald, Diamond, White, Black 2

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Sorry for the lack of an update, been busy with school, work, and Pokemon X on my free time. I hope to update soon though :)

Just wanted to say I would like to add Pokemon Y to all my challenges, so Bug, Ghost, Normal, and Rock. Also to my Ice type challenge, so that I won't be stuck in the "Gen 5 Champions". I'll repost my signups if needed.

I don't know when I'll be able to play Y for any challenges as I don't have it yet, only have X and I plan to keep that as my main game, also I don't know how I would record as I would like to make videos for it the way I do my other challenges. If I can't figure it out I'll settle for taking crappy images with my phone or something.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Since we're on to the next page, I just want to remind everyone that the rules have been updated, so if you're playing X or Y you should brush up because it's a little different.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
The fact that you claim you'll have to trust us on that brings me to another thing i'm wondering: the note of people who go short on detail, i.e. they only make one post which covers everything for their entire challenge, they don't speak anything of what happens in important battles, etcetera. Not that I don't trust people who say they beat the game, but do you think people should have to at least provide summaries of some things that happen in important battles (i.e. Gym Leaders, villainous team leaders, Elite Four + Champion, etc)? In case you haven't seen from my posts, I always type full summaries of those battles just so it's made clear i'm not doing anything sketchy. Does anyone else think players should at least go a little in-detail on those battles for that purpose?

The reason I didn't do a large summery (which I normally do) is because the night I started it I had two days off from work and had nothing planed so I quite literally like ran through the game in like 16 hours so there was no time to update. I beat it much faster then I thought I would, also I am glad I did not do large summaries because I'm sure I wouldn't have hid it under a spoiler so I would have spoiled a lot of the game by accident.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hey guys, Necrum already addressed the little tiffy we're having here. If you need to talk about it further, just privately message that person. Please stop dragging it out in the thread when it's already been handled by the thread owner. Thanks.

Helio

Lost at Sea with an Hourglass
Years
Okay so sorry I haven't played in a while but I beat FireRed so yay for me:

Fire UMC
I: Completed

Progress:
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

So that's it for Kanto, time for Johto!

Years
Username: Totodilemaster
Type: Flying
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): LG, Liquid Crystal, R, Pt, W (Sorry but not 6th GEN :( )

I will update with photos and text :D

Years
Well, while i'm here, guess i'll sign up for another one. What have I got to lose.

Username: novachief37
Type: Poison
Challenge: Single
Game: Y

This is one I really want to do because there are a TON of Poison-types in the game, hehe.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
hey do my pokemon have to be 10 levels from eachother? my highest is level 65 and my lowest is 45...

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
hey do my pokemon have to be 10 levels from eachother? my highest is level 65 and my lowest is 45...
That's the general rule, but if say you were playing a Johto game and caught one of your Pokemon post game, then obviously you could be using all your Pokemon viably without them being the same level. I think I'll adjust that rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back