• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Plot Bunny Thread

Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
Years
As, tbh, the thread is asking for advice on your story idea rather than discussing revenge fics in general, I'll merge this with the Plot Bunny thread sticky.

Can't say I have anything to add that I didn't see mentioned in the sppf thread either.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
Years
So . . . I have a small idea for a fic I'm going to write, which is kind of loosely based on the history of Unova. Hopefully, I won't write myself into a corner this time like with all my other fics. For this one, I'm going to write a vague outline / timeline first so the plot doesn't just randomly stop.

Spoiler:

So, what do you guys think? Please give me feedback on my story idea!

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I've got a weird idea for a story that may or may not fail.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

If you haven't figured it out yet...
Spoiler:

So, does it have a chance of getting read? Or is it an epic fail?

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
So . . . I have a small idea for a fic I'm going to write, which is kind of loosely based on the history of Unova. Hopefully, I won't write myself into a corner this time like with all my other fics. For this one, I'm going to write a vague outline / timeline first so the plot doesn't just randomly stop.

Spoiler:

So, what do you guys think? Please give me feedback on my story idea!

Eh, I don't know if you'll check this thread after a month or something, but I wanted to post something for myself and I felt it is wrong for me to post while no one answered your request yet, so.....
I don't know how helpful I would be but just throwing in my two cents.

Spoiler:

----------------------------------
With that addressed, there is something I want to try.

I got this idea when I was reading the electric tale of Pikachu--A manga version of the Pokemon anime.

Although it is a manga version of anime,it is quite different. First Ash shows interest in older girls(like Gary's sister) which makes his interaction with Brock more awesome(who is the same). And Misty is slightly more extreme Misty than the anime Misty(from the OS of course).

The best part is they address real life issues like school etc.

Overall the character interactions are funny and Ash does catch few cool Pokemon like Fearow etc.

Now based on this I had an idea.

Spoiler:

But the thing is, I am not confident of my writing, so if anyone else wants to take on the project, feel free to inform me. But otherwise, I will write the story by myself(with the help of a beta maybe?)
So do you guys think it's an idea worth trying?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Ideas?

I want to write my stories gere too, so that I may have something to share(I have 3 different stories with 2 notebooks for each, and I wish to write another story here). Well the plot goes like this.

It's a new chapter for Hoenn region. You are a newbie pokemon trainer(let's name it you until I think of a good name). Pokemons from Sinnoh region have weirdly appeared all over, but it wasn't that much of a serious problem. In the midst of peace, a new organization rises. Unlike Magma and Aqua who attempted to control Groudon or Kyogre, this new organization seeks 6 pokemons, the Regi Trio and the Weather Trio.

Well that's all I have to say, I will be the one up to twist it up. I need some feedbacks and the name of course XD. Also, I shall write it in a diary form, but dialogs are something like this:
You: Go Mudkip! Tackle!
Trainer: Uh Poochyena...um..block?

Zayphora

Years
For the name...I'm assuming your character is male, so for some unknown reason I'm going to suggest "Evan". If it is female, I'd suggest Anya, again for the sake of randomness.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to do dialogs that way. It sounds kind of amateur, like you're cutting corners. Just my opinion :D

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Hmm, it actually takes me longer of I "make the dialogs like this", I don't even know where to place the commas!

"And it's too repetitive", said Evan.
"How certain?", said Anya.
"Very certain.", said Evan.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
Hmm, it actually takes me longer of I "make the dialogs like this", I don't even know where to place the commas!

"And it's too repetitive", said Evan.
"How certain?", said Anya.
"Very certain.", said Evan.

Spoiler:

I think I am correct, if I am not then correct me!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
You're right, Dracoflare! As for the whole using "said" part of your advice, it really depends on the writer. I rarely use any dialogue tags (using action to tell who is speaking), and the ones that I use I mix up instead of just using the same ones. But others like using "said" for each dialogue tag. It's up to the writer, and it's much like everything else. Just know how to use it.

As for your plot, right now it's very basic. It just seems like a usual original trainer fic with only one trainer and fighting off against the boss of the evil team, helped by the rival. It sounds almost like the other Pokemon manga, Special, in a way. Do you have any more details on the plot to mark it different from other OT fics?

But really, a large part of the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga was the humor in it. Capture that humor, and that will make the fic pretty unique in itself.

Well, that and no one seems to remember that Electric Tale of Pikachu exists. So just having a fic based on that is rare.

Drgons90, you do have an interesting idea. Exploring why Sinnoh Pokemon suddenly appear in Hoenn will make for a good plot right there, but with the new team trying for six legendary Pokemon, that's six chases you can make exciting. You say that you have ideas to twist up the plot, and that's good. With the idea to write it as a diary, you just have to remember that that's how you really catch your character's voice. By the way they write and react to things after the fact.

For the dialogue, I'm going to have to agree with Zayphora. Personally, I like the quotation marks over script. But if you want to do script, than that's fine. If you do want to change to the quotation marks, I can certainly help you with any questions you may have on punctuating dialogue tags.

Zayphora

Years
Everyone seems to have forgotten my idea, so I'll post it again.

I've got a weird idea for a story that may or may not fail.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

If you haven't figured it out yet...
Spoiler:

So, does it have a chance of getting read? Or is it an epic fail?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Yes, that would definitely get read. At least by me.

I never read any creepypastas before, so I had to look up what Creepy Black is. That alone is a good story. To see that a fanfic is going to go deeper and turn the idea into a horror/mystery story is even better.

Personally, I can't think of any advice to give. But in answer to your question, as I said, the fic will be read by at least one person.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
As a side note, I am a bit iffy on your decision to rename them. The protagonist maybe not so much as they are namable in the games, I suppose could be argued, but Red to Asher? That seems a somewhat unnecessary change to a canon character (given it seems you're working from the HGSS canon in which is name is established), and might confuse some people too (after all, that's mighty close to Ash, who Red already bears similarities too as well in Pokemon choice etc).

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Well, I'll try to do my best to make it unique. Also, I might not be able to post everyday since I am very busy in real life, but I'm really hoping that the fic can go on endlessly.

As for the humor part, I'm not sure if I can give it some lols, but still I will do my best. I better get started then, you post it at the main forums right?

Another question, I looked through the examples of fanfic written, they all had that [Pokemon] or [Other]. How do you put that? Is it automatic?

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Another question, I looked through the examples of fanfic written, they all had that [Pokemon] or [Other]. How do you put that? Is it automatic?
When you start your own thread, you'll notice that there's a thread tag next to where the 'Title:' is. It should be a drop down menu.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
Years
Eh, I don't know if you'll check this thread after a month or something, but I wanted to post something for myself and I felt it is wrong for me to post while no one answered your request yet, so.....
I don't know how helpful I would be but just throwing in my two cents.

Spoiler:

I saw this post, and thanks for your input. I guess it's time for me add more stuff to the "character development" list. Eh, I have notes for a reason.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2013
Maylee and The World of Pokemon

Hi everyone - this is my first post on PokeCommunity and will hopefully lead to my first Pokemon fan fic. I usually write fan fics as screenplays, so I'm quite excited to write this one in story form. I'm trying to write a sort of series of episodes (each a story in itself but with a continuing arc) from the point of view of the main character, Maylee (though in 3rd person). I have the bigger picture sorted out, but the first episode/story is tricky. The plot idea for it is in spoiler tags because I've written a lot and don't want to fill up the page.

Spoiler:

As for the characters:

Spoiler:

A third character will probably be introduced in the next story (assuming I finish this one) to make a trio - and I'm sure some romances and stuff will come into it at some point. The stories themselves will probably feature more conventional violence and less pokemon battling than the games and anime, though there will obviously be some battling as well; after all, Maylee is going to become a Pokemon trainer and will end up in gyms etc when not saving the world.

So I ask for your help:

Firstly and mainly in working out what to put in the gap - something which leads Maylee to think something's wrong at the lab (but which no-one else takes as good enough evidence) and break in to investigate. If you have any ideas on changing the other bits to better fit this better, that's totally fine with me. I'm not a pro at this so any advice is appreciated!
Secondly if any, more experienced, writers have any ideas for scenes or methods of writing to make Maylee's personality come across better to the reader - any tips are also appreciated.
Thirdly, I worry that I don't have a way of making sure that Maylee is very obviously the main character despite her appearing first and
Fourthly, if someone could perhaps help me pick a good pokemon for Jake - I was going to go with Pikachu but since that's really common I thought I'd give Marill a try, but Marill's a little bit odd. I'm not too familiar myself with the newer generation pokemon so perhaps one of those is Pikachu-like (small and feisty-looking, and preferably not normal or psychic or ghost type).

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Firstly, the general story idea is fairly interesting, so that's a good start.

Now... I will respond to this first:
A third character will probably be introduced in the next story (assuming I finish this one) to make a trio - and I'm sure some romances and stuff will come into it at some point. The stories themselves will probably feature more conventional violence and less pokemon battling than the games and anime, though there will obviously be some battling as well; after all, Maylee is going to become a Pokemon trainer and will end up in gyms etc when not saving the world.
On the first point; how necessary is this? The way that's worded it seems that you're thinking about a third main character just to make a trio, and maybe introduce a romance, etc into it, but I'd warn against doing it just for the sake of that. Be sure that if you add a third main character that they would be relevant to the story and add their own impact, rather than just add a romantic sideplot. Also note that in fact the trio set-up with Pokemon fics with some romance, etc is very common. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but it does mean that if you do it then if it feels just like a repeat of how those other fics do it readers may get turned off from it.

For the second point, just be sure that it makes sense for Maylee to want to take on gym leaders and has time to do that and it makes sense/is realistic for her to do so in-between 'saving the world' - don't try to rely too much on following the formula of the games after all.
Secondly if any, more experienced, writers have any ideas for scenes or methods of writing to make Maylee's personality come across better to the reader - any tips are also appreciated.
Well, that depends on how exactly you want the reader to see her or rather what you mean as 'come across better'. =p On that note; don't try to overdo it. If you have this character be protrayed as far better than anybody else despite her flaws then the character will actually suffer for it and seem boring. Nobody really wants to read about the person who does well at everything, and sometimes a likeable protaogist is still one which has their flaws show.
Thirdly, I worry that I don't have a way of making sure that Maylee is very obviously the main character despite her appearing first
I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as you don't focus too long on Jack beyond the prologue. You could also say try to soften the amount he is involved in the prologue; for instance, keep description of him vague, don't yet name him, etc, and leave that for later after you establish Maylee's character.
Fourthly, if someone could perhaps help me pick a good pokemon for Jake - I was going to go with Pikachu but since that's really common I thought I'd give Marill a try, but Marill's a little bit odd. I'm not too familiar myself with the newer generation pokemon so perhaps one of those is Pikachu-like (small and feisty-looking, and preferably not normal or psychic or ghost type).
There's not too many right or wrong Pokemon, frankly. I would suggest however against Pokemon that are very rare or unlikely for a regular trainer to start with (say a Dragon type or Eevee) without a solid explanation, and that'd extend to legendaries too. Marill as a side note is not too odd a Pokemon to read about; if a canon example of HGSS's pseudo rival having a Marill exists then I doubt there should be many problems with it, and it's also not a rare Pokemon for many regions, etc.

There's a bunch of Pikachu-like Pokemon as well that'd fit that bill; Plusle/Minun spring to mind as does Pachirisu and Emolga from 5th gen in particular. As for non-electric types... well, the list is long! Try some research into it and see what appeals to you to write about; there's the likes of serebii, bulbapedia, etc to use for that.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2012
PokeBox Game Site Story Line

I am working on a pokemon adopt site and I have just finished an outline for the story line. I am more of a coder than a writer so I am looking for some feedback and maybe some creative help. So I got my ideas down but there's probably a better way to present it. Thank you so much for looking it over :) note: I removed the images in post that are on site.

Story

Welcome to Poke Island soon to be trainer. You had to come here to recieve your very first pokemon and join the initiative to repopulate the world we live in with pokemon. To fix the mistakes of our past. As you know there are no more wild Pokemon to obtain! They have all been caught or battled for training till fainted. But there is still hope! It has been noted that no pokemon has fully gone extinct and that some one somewhere has it. As such it is everyones duty to level the pokemon, care for them, breed them, and then trade them to other trainers. For doing such work you will be paid for your efforts to buy items and new pokemon eggs to raise.

Battling Forbiden

That's right, Pokemon battles are now outlawed and illegal to partake in. This decision is to stop the loss of more wild pokemon that are brutally trained on and never recieve medical aid, but are left fainted in the wild. This also stops trainer negligence who push their pokemon to hard. This will also free up a lot of recourses as medication, status healers, and free healthcare will not be overburdened. We understand your conce with the issue of leveling your pokemon so please read on to our scientific findings.

Prof. Oak's Findings

Professor Oak has been studing pokemon for many years. He came up with the theory that pokemon do not need to battle to evolve or level up and get stronger. But rather it is social interaction that enables them to develope and live a healthy life. Many were astonished at this fact but many of the other scientist confirmed it to be true. Even though battleing does drive up a pokemons experiance, it is just social interaction, experiances can be achieved through safer means. This obviously helped push the laws that eventually outlawed battling completely.

New Technology

With humans and pokemon sharing the same world space began to run out pretty quick. But a new Poke Box has also been developed, one that can theoretically hold an infinite amount of pokemon. As such pokemon are not allowed to wonder about without a trainer. This keeps everyone safe from wild pokemon attacks, or illegal pokemon training battles. Pokemon are also tagged convienanlty to their owners and can not be easily stolen. This allows any trainer to take out a pokemon even if they do not own it. What they can do with the pokemon is limited to only social interaction but this way trainers can work together to take pokemon out of the box system and help them develope. However the owning trainer is in full control if their pokemon evolves, recieves an item, is used for breeding, or is traded.

We Hope You Enjoy Your Social Adventures Here at PokeBox

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Moving this to the Plot Bunny thread, since you're just asking about your plot.

Years
I had an idea for my plot as well but I'm having a hardtime putting it down. Basically, I'm trying to base of on an moment in Heartgold/Soulsilver to where the female Team Rocket grunt was telling you, the player, that she thinks Proton is this and that and how she thinks he's cool and that he's all she needs. Well, I am trying to make it to that that when he sees that Team Rocket has come back in the Unova reigon (well the team was recreated by that same girl with her friend and they have renounced their criminal ways and wanted Team Rocket to be a detective agency) and sees that same girl (because yes he remembers her), he wants to meet her.

So he meets her and the Team and start talking etc and in the end they get together. Problem is that when I put them in a relationship, there's something I'm not doing right and it's to do with Proton. Can this plot *still* be doable?

Back