• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Sniff Paint

Machu Pichu

oddsoul.
Years
Mods: I put the Gallery tag on, but it didn't show up?
Sniff.png

Yup, that's my title alright.

Signatures.png
Spoiler:

More stuff, like Icons and Wallpapers, to come later probably.

Comments and critique are very well appreciated!​

Last edited:
Years
I would sniff paint too, if it gave me the ability to make graphics as amazing as yours, your Espeon and Umbreon tags, as well as your Braviary tag would have to be my favorites, and you really seem to use Text and C4Ds very well. As for criticism, I guess I don't like how the text covers the Charizard on the "PAIN" tag and the C4Ds on that tag aren't really, integrated well, I guess? Other than that, I love all of your work, you're definitely one of my favorite Graphic Artists.

moments.

quixotic
Years
I'm only looking at the 2011 tags cause I feel it is more relevant / you've improved a lot since those earlier time frames.

GloriousHD.png
RadientHD.png
ExplosiveHD.png

These three are your best, basically just in terms of the colours and adjustments you've got going on. Nearly all your other tags are over contrasted and some are low quality, either over sharpened until they look pixelated, or just by bad decisions on effects and stocks and stuff. Examples, the three vertical Eeveelution tags are all over contrasted, the blacks are too black and colours too bright, except for the Espeon one, which has been sharpened way too much, and you can see the pixelation around the edges of the stock.

That said, you've got a lot of works, with a bucket load of potential, just not executed to the best that the idea could've led to.

PAIN.png
This one is so close to being a great tag, just a few things you've added which really bring it down. First of all, while the text is pretty original, and I definitely think something in this style could be effective, it really just doesn't work with this particular tag. It takes too much focus, is too spaced out. But maybe on a lighter tag / if you used darker text colour, it might've worked!
Otherwise, the effects, placement of Charizard are both really, really good! The only thing I'd reconsider, and again, same as the above, it could definitely work on another piece, just isn't working on this one, is the colours. You've got a solid gradient map over it, but it's just too monotonous like that. I can tell by the shades and tones of the colours that you've got a very nice baseline, good contrast and everything, just the fact it is all red and black is detracting from the tag as a whole I'm thinking...

Anyways, you've got a lot of work here, a lot of potential, some not so good, but you definitely have the skills and the ideas to pull off some really nice stuff! I think perhaps spend more time on each piece, maybe experiment more with each step you take, like play around with effects, positioning, colours and stuff and then choose the best, don't just pick what immediately looks good, see if you can find something better!

But yeah, keep it up, you will go far!

Machu Pichu

oddsoul.
Years
Thanks for the criticism, moments, and I do agree with much of what you're saying. The Jolteon tag was more of a "forced" work, since I wanted to expand on my trend and have a set of 4 Eeveelution tags, so I basically just tried to put something out there. I had more of a feeling of "eh, this is pretty good, I guess" than a feeling of accomplishment when I finished that one, and I don't really consider it one of my best works.

The PAIN tag was more of an emotional piece than anything else, so I didn't expect it to be amazing. I mostly agree on what you said with taking more time on my works, because honestly, the most time I spend on a piece is usually around 1-3 hours, all in one session. This is usually because I don't have as much time as I wish I did on my only computer that has Photoshop on it (my little brother can only run his games on it, and if he can't get on, then he complains to my parents, blah blah blah, you get the point).

I've got a new design in my head, though, and I'll take into account the things you said when I'm making it later on!

moments.

quixotic
Years
1-3 hours is definitely long enough on a tag, you don't want to be spending a whole lot more than that if it doesn't come naturally. Maybe what I can suggest, and I only recently started doing this myself and finding it helpful is make a tag, or complete it up to a certain point, maybe half way, maybe everything except colour adjustments, and leave it for a while and come back to it. You could leave it for a few hours, leave it overnight, whatever you like, but if you come back to it on fresh eyes you can often see more things that could be tweaked that others might pick up on.

Just something to try out, you might find it really useful! :D

Back