• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Retro

Prof Oakley

JourneyofPossibilities Creator
Years
splash-1.png

I'm done with this game until I learn more about the program and such. It will be completely redone again, for hopefully the last time. So people can stop saying how "awful" the purposeful clash of tiles looks. I'll just have to find a new way to make it so the buildings don't look like they fit without making people repeat the same adjective over and over. I'm working on a new game that is actually going smoothly since I got most of the basics from this first game.

I would appreciate some help with sprites as mine are pretty awful if you played the game.
Created with:
RPG Maker XP with Pokemon Essentials Kit (currently version 7)

Summary/Story Line:
Explore the newly discovered Lunar Region, an island filled with unique Kanto pokemon. Characterized by their oldies look and blocky physique, these pokemon are yours for the catching. Professor Oak has entrusted you to document all 151 pokemon of the Lunar Region so don't let him down. Take your pokemon through the small forest of your hometown, battle your way through grasslands, a beautiful sandy beach, and a huge mountain, until you reach a desert coast that will lead you to the last section of your Lunar Region exploration. The more entries you place into your pokedex, the more information Professor Oak has to help him discover the real reason why these pokemon appear as they do. But beware, as there is a criminal group who wishes to capture these rare pokemon sights to sell them in other regions for high profit. They are known as Team Eclipse and you must do everything in your power to stop them before it's too late.

This journey isn't all about catching pokemon to learn the secrets to their look and stopping bad guys from stealing people's pokemon for profit. There are gyms to defeat, secrets places to discover, and lessons to be learned. In fact, each Gym will teach you a wise lesson about what it takes to become the Pokemon Champion. Remember these lessons along the way and you will easily progress to the next region and go after those pokemon. If you happen to forget the lessons you learned you may not be able to proceed onto the next region, letting Oak and the rest of the Pokemon Professors down. This is a very important journey for you to embark on, make sure you are ready for all it's challenges.
Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Credits:
~pkmn.net for the sprites that I altered for the game and trainer sprites
~Pokemon Essentials for making the game possible to create
~Also some people off of pokecommunity that help me when I'm in need of assisstance.
~My friends for giving me great feedback already
~Pokemon is owned by Nintendo, not me.
(below aren't in-game but I'm adding them for the next beta)
~Dragoon- HG/SS overworlds
~GamenerdAdvance- G/S/C Tileset
~874521- HG/SS Tilesets
~Thurpok- HG/SS Indoor Tileset

~Unova Pack Credits: (not in-game, but will be eventually)
FL for the pack, pokemon.txt, tm.txt edited back battlers and special form sprites.
Venom12 for the icons, cries, abilities.txt, moves.txt and some tm (in tm.txt).
help-14 for the original battlers.
IceGod64 for some help with pokemon.txt Abilities.
dannyboy601 for regional numbers.
Download History:
Beta 3.0
~Third Gym is added, Up till May town, so 5 towns. Another Rival Battle. Two more routes (joined though). Custom overworld/sprites are in play except for a couple.
Beta 2.2
~New look and name, so a new game will have to be made unfortunately but I fixed the rival and grunt walking away and everyone has an overworld now :) plus Rocky Pass is added for cave exploration.
Beta 2.1
~fixed the Auto tiles so random water wasn't inside the buildings
Beta 2.0:
~Four Towns (two new) Four Routes (3 new) 2 Gyms (1 new) new Rival battle, new grunt battle, bicycle added, cut and flash added, first room maps for a couple caves added.
Beta 1.1:
~First town, first route, bugs are fixed and there's a healer in the hometown
Beta 1.0:
~Includes the first two towns, hometown and 'viridian city', the first route, and the first gym.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Y'know, the Title 'Retro' gave me the wrong impression, I thought it would be GBC Styled.
Not that there is anything wrong with it not being so, I'll just say it may confuse other folks.

All in All not much is seen from the screenshots, the revamps are good (the only two i see).
As for the only map shot, There is a Overworld Style Clash. You've got a R/S/E Youngster, and the FR/LG Heroine.
Also, You've used a heavy grass tile repeatively, there is four different tiles for the grass, which should be used accordingly to improve scenery.

I won't try this beta though, until it's gotten to a better stage and I have more to do in game.

Good Luck with this anyway.

Prof Oakley

Years
Y'know, the Title 'Retro' gave me the wrong impression, I thought it would be GBC Styled.
Not that there is anything wrong with it not being so, I'll just say it may confuse other folks.

All in All not much is seen from the screenshots, the revamps are good (the only two i see).
As for the only map shot, There is a Overworld Style Clash. You've got a R/S/E Youngster, and the FR/LG Heroine.
Also, You've used a heavy grass tile repeatively, there is four different tiles for the grass, which should be used accordingly to improve scenery.

I won't try this beta though, until it's gotten to a better stage and I have more to do in game.

Good Luck with this anyway.

The sprites are gameboy color styled that's the whole story plot, why are they like that.
There's only a few screen shots because I've been working on it two weeks, the sprites clash because that's what they gave me and I am saving the changes like that till I have more done with it. It's just a tiny little taste so I could get a little feedback before I did a lot on it and people said it sucked. There will be more, this is only the start of the third week of production.

Prof Oakley

Years
Beta 3.0 is now up. That makes 3 gyms, 5 towns, 6 routes, 1 grunt battle, 2 rival battles, lots of pokemon to catch, and oodles of fun to be had.

Some sprites have to be tweaked and resized but I'm not exactly awesome at spriting :P So yea, Hopefully someone likes it :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I'm sorry but the mix of these tile styles is horrible
I recommended you to stick to one style.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
Hmmm...

I think this would be better if i split my opinion in parts:

A) The Story:

Spoiler:

A) The Maps:

Spoiler:

C) The Sprites:

Spoiler:

All in all...keep working on it. I saw your game blog and apparently you're working hard on this. Then take advices and work harder. Reinvent everything if necessary.

Prof Oakley

Years
Hmmm...

I think this would be better if i split my opinion in parts:

A) The Story:

Spoiler:

A) The Maps:

Spoiler:

C) The Sprites:

Spoiler:

All in all...keep working on it. I saw your game blog and apparently you're working hard on this. Then take advices and work harder. Reinvent everything if necessary.

Thanks but I'm probably just going to give up on this one. I think the maps look fine because they aren't supposed to look like they go together. The natural items are supposed to be like the old gen II games, where the buildings are newer because the people just came to the Island in the last decade or two. The same explanation for the empty, thrown everywhere look. I didn't know I had to plan out every little detail before I started, so I don't have a very good story line and just have an idea.

I'd have to completely start over again and I don't really want to do that just to have everyone say it looks awful, again. I'm just going to work on a new one with mashed ideas from this and pmd.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
Thanks but I'm probably just going to give up on this one. I think the maps look fine because they aren't supposed to look like they go together. The natural items are supposed to be like the old gen II games, where the buildings are newer because the people just came to the Island in the last decade or two. The same explanation for the empty, thrown everywhere look. I didn't know I had to plan out every little detail before I started, so I don't have a very good story line and just have an idea.

I'd have to completely start over again and I don't really want to do that just to have everyone say it looks awful, again. I'm just going to work on a new one with mashed ideas from this and pmd.

Ah! i understand now. The idea is good, nonetheless. I find it original, i've never seen something like that before. But anyways, good look with your new project then!

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2012
To be honest your choice of mixing the different art styles together really just looks tacky and off-putting. I think you should either choose one or the other.

Also, scaling sprites up by a value other than 2x, 3x, 4x etc, ends up distorting certain pixels and ruining the look of the sprite. This looks terrible.

Other than those two you're making some fine progress here. Keep it up.

Back