• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
Okay, based on my pokedex definition for them, the first one is a guardian pokemon for Moltres. The 2nd set is a Motor, you know for cars?

(EXTRA INFO) I started off drawing a pikachu and failing when I made that pokemon. I scribbled it out, flipped over the page, and I saw the image of Blazmotor, the 2nd pokemon there. I just drew Blaznom, the 1st, as a random evolution.

I hope what I said was right...

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Chesu's Pixel art tutorial isnt very specific when it comes to spriting hair so I made a full out new pokemon ow tut. Should help quite a few people with hair for ows.

(Tutorial is in attachments)

wobbuffett

USELESS Pokemon
Years
Wow, that was really helpful :) I have now made a sprite for my little Fakemon :)

(I'm attempting to fill a whole dex, only it's really not gonna happen xD)

But I made a shiny too! I would post them but I cba to put them on photobucket etc.

Anyway, the point was, thanks for the tutorial, I am very much obliged.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Thank you so much for creating this tutorial, you've helped me so much with my spriting!

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2011
i am still confused about shading. what if you're using a sprite for nds?

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2014
Great Tutorial! Especially for a Noob and totally unartistic like me! :P

Just wondering whether you'd be able to extend the Overworld tutorial for the main character to include the FLY/biking sprites?

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
Years
when i resize pictures for a sprite like you did for the bayleef, it always comes out blurry or just unusable. Is there a criteria?

Years
when i resize pictures for a sprite like you did for the bayleef, it always comes out blurry or just unusable. Is there a criteria?
You can use MS Paint to resize without having the colors blend into each other. Lots of image editing programs will try to keep the overall image as close looking to the original as possible which is why it gets a little blurry. Paint is much more basic and simply chooses one pixel over another when you shrink an image.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years

If you have the newer paint, then it may come out blurry if you don't select the sprite and then resize it. I'm not sure why, it just does that.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years

It comes out best if you resize by full measures. 50% is half size, 25% is half of that, etc.; if your image is too small, that could cause the blurriness you're referring to when you make it even smaller.

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
Marmoto

My first scratch called Marmoto Ground/Steel type tell me if i need to add dithering or remove some(I also put my palette beside it)

Attachments

• Marmoto.png
    Marmoto.png
    758 bytes · Views: 432

Funfat.

Working on scripts that fail
Years
my first scratch sprite!
i call it G-threat
gthreat.png

(I know it dosn't have exactly 16 colors)

MasterSceptile

Pokémon Master/Glitch Hunter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 9, 2019
My first (only) trainer sprite:
andrewtrainersprite.png

I can already tell that the main problem is going to be the shading. The PokeBall arm is taken from Red (HGSS) and the hat is taken from Red (JP Green). Suggestions?

MasterSceptile

GameArtistOlivier

Game Artist
Years
I'm gonna give trainer spriting a try. I'm currently only a concept artist, for August Emerald.
But I think it'd be nice to have some other stuff to do too. This guide will really help me at that. When I've made my first trainer, I'll post it here. After that I'm gonna give Fakémon spriting a try too! Boy, I'm just like Greed from Full Metal Alchemist...^^ GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!
Thanks for the tutorial Chesu.

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 7, 2013
this tutorial is amazing, so helpful!!!!!

how is the shading on these 4 images i created? is there any errors in them?

sorry about double posting

Attachments

• newhero.PNG
    newhero.PNG
    698 bytes · Views: 348
  • newheroine.png
    newheroine.png
    691 bytes · Views: 347
  • newpokemon.PNG
    newpokemon.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 50
  • femalecharacter.png