• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Funny you should say that, because I know some users who played Punch Out!! without a problem using motion controls. It entirely depends on where you placed your sensors.
...But you don't need the sensor for Punch Out in a match. Good for them for liking it and waggles though, but it doesn't come close to an actual boxing experience which is what I wanted.

Yet Skyward Sword won many awards and was regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, according to a mod from BMGF.
So what? From the same year, Skyrim won many if not more awards too, are you saying it doesn't have problems? (Many technical problems and several design problems.) Skyward Sword is not even close to being the best Zelda game, not with that much padding and backtracking. (I stopped midway true, but I heard from a lot of people that it gets MUCH worse later on, too.)

There are many examples of games with a lot of problems winning game of the year. Metal Gear Solid 2 is one, and while I like it (plan to replay it, too) there are far too many flaws for it to even be nominated imo.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
...But you don't need the sensor for Punch Out in a match. Good for them for liking it and waggles though, but it doesn't come close to an actual boxing experience which is what I wanted.

Then that's your problem. Besides, Punch Out!! is actually suppose to be a puzzle game rather than a sports game.

So what? From the same year, Skyrim won many if not more awards too, are you saying it doesn't have problems? (Many technical problems and several design problems.) Skyward Sword is not even close to being the best Zelda game, not with that much padding and backtracking. (I stopped midway true, but I heard from a lot of people that it gets MUCH worse later on, too.)

Skyrim had its problems too such as some bugs I've heard from My Nintendo News. Isn't backtracking a good thing? It's what made the Metroid games and previous gen Pokemon games good for you. The game's director stated that he will not leave the team until he has created a Zelda game that surpasses OoT, but no thanks to its unpleasable fanbase, he'll never achieve his goal.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Then that's your problem. Besides, Punch Out!! is actually suppose to be a puzzle game rather than a sports game.

Wrong. Despite all the BS it has, a lot of Boxing elements are present in the game. Yeah, footwork which is the biggest thing in boxing isn't possible, but the whole defensive play is much like boxing. Knowing how to dodge moves, having good reactions and reflexes, finding openings to attack and finding ways to counter your opponent is how it is in boxing. There's nothing to deduce for it to be a puzzle, just know the pattern/rhythm of your opponent.

Skyrim had its problems too such as some bugs I've heard from My Nintendo News. Isn't backtracking a good thing? It's what made the Metroid games and previous gen Pokemon games good for you. The game's director stated that he will not leave the team until he has created a Zelda game that surpasses OoT, but no thanks to its unpleasable fanbase, he'll never achieve his goal.
It's a good thing if it was incorporated well. Skyward Swords didn't, because going to the same place all again for something so trivial as to find, say, a windmill is so tedious and not my idea of good game design.

I've never played Ocarina of time. (Probably gonna correct this soon, as my brother plans to buy it on the 3DS.) As a matter of fact I don't really like Zelda much at all, but Skyward Sword is my least favorite. I do like Metroid though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Aw Ocarina of Time is amazing you haven't played it yet? :( It took me like a decade to beat it though, I had it on N64 and on Gamecube and finally beat it on 3DS. Gogogo play it!

I never played Majora's Mask though, one that i really want to play.

Years
I used to be a big fan of the Zelda games, had them both on DS and on Wii. I particularly remember Ocarina of Time on the DS. I was around 10-13 when I played the games, though, so I wasn't the brightest and didn't really know how to do all the complicated stuff. I think I might go and give Ocarina of Time another try considering I don't even remember what happened and I didn't understand it. x_x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wait there was...an OoT for the DS before the one for the 3DS? Or is that the one you're talking about?

Years
Ah, it turns out it was Phantom Hourglass and not OoT, I think I played it on Nintendo 64, however, OoT.

Looking at the Zelda games now, they really do age back. I don't know why, but I was never too keen on Zelda games as a child, maybe because as I stated in my last post, that I didn't really understand it.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Phantom Hourglass is really the only one I bothered to finish. My big gripe with Zelda is from the ones I play the exploration is boring and the padding and backtracking get so tedious for me. Of course I only played a few, and all of them are the 3D games. I got Minish Cap and the original on my 3DS, so I should give the 2D games a go. After Ocarina of Time, that is.

Also, playing that Pooh flash game and talking about Punch Out made me think about the hardest games I ever played. It's probably Punch Out (the original, not the Wii one), but I'm also curious about everyone else here.

Actually, while also speaking about sports game, is there a particular yearly sports series anyone plays here? I used to play Fifa back in the PS2 days, but now I'm into Baseball and hope MLB: The Show 2013 is gonna fill me for a realistic sports game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I absolutely love LoZ, although that's quite a recent love. The franchise used to mean nothing at all to me other than a weird elf thing wearing a silly green hat going to save a princess, but after actually trying out a couple LoZ games I realised that my previous views were complete rubbish. It's such an intricately thought out series with so much to do in every game and great new ways to do them each time whilst the manage to keep up with the common themes that we grow know and love. I didn't think that a series set in the same basic land every time could ever be as interesting or in depth as other games of its genre but after trialling a few of the games to the point where I couldn't put them down, I can safely say I was wrong. It's a shame I rather suck at them!

Years
I'm gonna go back and give some of the Zelda games a try, Nintendo Power's all-time top 2 games were: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past, so really, how bad could they be?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only Zelda games I've played were the original NES game (which I haven't beaten yet), OoT, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. I really want to play ALttP, but I'm not sure about Majora's Mask due to the three-day time limit (it takes me hours to complete a dungeon).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've also played... a small amount into Skyward Sword.

Just out of interest, why'd you only get a small amount into it? Personally I never got on with that game, the controls were hard to get used to and I really didn't like the graphics. The story up to where I reached was okay, nothing extraordinary, but the gameplay itself seemed pretty cool so I'm just wondering what held you back from wanting to complete it? Everyone else I've spoken to seems to think that Skyward Sword is an amazing revolutionary game for the series so I'm just curious what you think.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Just out of interest, why'd you only get a small amount into it? Personally I never got on with that game, the controls were hard to get used to and I really didn't like the graphics. The story up to where I reached was okay, nothing extraordinary, but the gameplay itself seemed pretty cool so I'm just wondering what held you back from wanting to complete it? Everyone else I've spoken to seems to think that Skyward Sword is an amazing revolutionary game for the series so I'm just curious what you think.

I agree with you. I just couldn't get into the game at all, but this was when I was around a friends and wasn't giving it my full attention. Haha. From what I played, I think there are better LoZ games.​

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I haven't played skyward sword but for some reason the handheld zelda games I can get really into more than the console ones. Dunno why. Link's Awakening I racked up HOURS on.. and I've played Oracle of Ages a ton, too. Thought they were really fun :3

Yay for open world games <3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I got some of the older LoZ games on my phone and actually fell in love with Minish Cap. I was surprised because I've tried the original multiple times and I'm just miserably bad at it. Games with real-time combat is just impossible for me. :( /bad gamer

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Skyward Sword is perhaps more controversial than Wind Waker because of the graphics and the fact that they retired the OoT-style gameplay and used a new gameplay style instead. Just wait until the next Zelda game is announced, and the fans will bash it and praise Skyward Sword.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I got some of the older LoZ games on my phone and actually fell in love with Minish Cap. I was surprised because I've tried the original multiple times and I'm just miserably bad at it. Games with real-time combat is just impossible for me. :( /bad gamer
Wanna try a game with turned based combat that is really hard then?
Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Skyward Sword is perhaps more controversial than Wind Waker because of the graphics and the fact that they retired the OoT-style gameplay and used a new gameplay style instead. Just wait until the next Zelda game is announced, and the fans will bash it and praise Skyward Sword.
Why are you so partial against "hardcore gamers"? I'm not a Zelda craze and I think the complaints it gets are justified, save for maybe the controls. Not to mention the fans that will praise it are different from ones that hate it, much like Wind Waker fans.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I like Persona! I heard the other Shin Megami games were impossible though. I tried to play the one that was remade on the 3DS I forget the name but my boyfriend accidentally deleted my save so I lost motivation :(

The MMO was fun too!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Why are you so partial against "hardcore gamers"? I'm not a Zelda craze and I think the complaints it gets are justified, save for maybe the controls. Not to mention the fans that will praise it are different from ones that hate it, much like Wind Waker fans.

Because fans like those could potentially force the developers to give up for giving them too much pressure to create a Zelda game that's the same rank as Ocarina of Time. If you're talking about the reviews that gave the lowest scores to Skyward Sword for those complaints, it was confirmed that they were playing the game wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back