• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (Reloaded) (Version 6.8C Released)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Oh dear, this doesn't seem to work with mGBA.

And not just this new version, but every version since internal version 6. Which was last done in 2016 and months before I even released this to begin with. And since it was so long ago, I do not actually remember what that specific version was, other than 'attempting to work with music'.

It should still work in No$GBA and VBA, though. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

And I'm honestly surprised that no one reported this sooner.

It also crashes on VBA-M. I got it to work on No$GBA fine, as well as gpSP on my psp, and MyBoy!. When it does work, it doesn't appear to have any problems, but I'm not too far into the game yet.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
Years
It also crashes on VBA-M. I got it to work on No$GBA fine, as well as gpSP on my psp, and MyBoy!. When it does work, it doesn't appear to have any problems, but I'm not too far into the game yet.

Huh. So it is.

Well, I found the Obvious Problem, finally, and I did a slapdash fix to it. Honestly, the fact that I haven't noticed the problem in...

Checks watch

Three years is kind of sad. However, there was some code in the section beyond where this hack should have been. I do not remember what this code is. It could have been important, so if something broke because of it, then... well... that's gonna suck to fix. Hopefully it's just a long text box. At least then I can just go back a version, copy it, put it somewhere else, and boom.

At least it's not EVs/Natures or the Music (As far as I know). That's good.

If you use VBA, NO$GBA, or an emulator that works, you do not need to update this. If you use mGBA or VBA-M, then you'll need to update.

Last edited:

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
Years
Can confirm it now loads in mGBA. If there are any more issues whenever I get around to playing more, I'll either post here or PM.

Kaiserdude

Kaiserdude
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 13, 2019
So I might have missed something or not, but Whirl Islands is out of whack with the top-right entrance being misconfigured? The warp is correctly there on the "cave entrance", but you can't enter the tile to warp into Whirl Islands. I had to use a walk-through-walls cheat to make sure. I have a picture showing what I mean (sadly I can't post links until 5 posts made) but for text purposes, it's the entrance and tiles you can walk into aren't lined up properly; can walk into a wall but nothing happens, but you can't walk into the entrance tile (that has the working warp).

I know also that you removed a feature or two, like trading; forgot the reason but nothing that's crippling so far. Thought I'd bring up Whirl Islands as that was probably "the" one thing I am pretty sure was broken somehow.

As a bonus little funny thing, Tensoku can breed to make another Tensoku. Though I think I remember Tensoku-G evolution in one of the other 1.8 games.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
jtpedgkrrvpbg

I thought I fixed that orz.

Well, I got it fixed now. If anyone has problems with it, here's a patch for it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8m6qpnuz36pc549/Touhou+Puppet+Play+Enhanced+(Reloaded).ups

Also, I think that Tensoku breeding was in the original. It is kind of funny, though. And yes, Tensoku-G was in other 1.8 versions, but as far as I remember, wasn't in this one due to it messing with the pokedex. I could be wrong, but I remember a reasoning such as that.

Kaiserdude

Kaiserdude
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 13, 2019
Aside from the Whirl Islands thing, sorry to ask after sharing that report: what was the reason for removing the Yukari NG+ thing? I can get the trade being gone but what's wrong with Lotus Island Yukari?

Edit: Whirl Island top-right is working; sped through JUST to check this, thanks

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
The reason for removing it was simple. I did not remember the flags that I used, nor did I note them down anywhere, and I wasn't sure as to what I'd need to change in the event to allow the NG+ to work. If there were no changes needed, then... well... rip me, I guess.

I did not and do not have the time or attention span to really find what flags or variables I've added into this version.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 8, 2019
So quick question~ Is Shinmyoumaru obtainable in this one~? The touhoumon I usually play doesn't have her and a few others.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
So quick question~ Is Shinmyoumaru obtainable in this one~? The touhoumon I usually play doesn't have her and a few others.

If only I was good enough to do that.

This hack only has up to the Touhou 13 characters, because every time I touched dex expansion it ended up turning into ashes and dust.

Cinfest

LUNATIC
Years
First off, I really like this hack and everything you've done with it.

Second, I got annoyed because I couldn't find an accurate summary online of all the available characters and how to get them, so I spent several hours making my own spreadsheet based on data pulled from the ROM... And I figured I should post it here because other people might find it useful. Nearly all of it was done using the Gen 3 Hacking Suite, which I realise may not have been the best choice after it threw up some oddities, which GBA Pokemon Game Editor did not. Anyway, here is a link. Yes, it does contain what could be considered spoilers, so don't open it if you don't want to know secrets.

While I was making this, I noticed a few things I assume are genuine errors: a couple of evolutions have their ability slots flipped compared to the chibi form or each other. The ones I'm pretty sure about are C Alice, D and T Reisen, and A Tewi. D Tewi can also evolve into A Tewi using a Red Shard, which I think is the only current instance of an evolved form being able to switch (unless G3HS is reading it all wrong). Also, there are still 8 unused index slots in the current version, although I don't know how they line up with the in-game dex (I'm not much of a hacker, I just have the tools because they can be useful for data mining).

Thank you for all the hard work you continue to put into this.

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
Thank you for the compliment, and thank you for letting me know about the ability slots being flipped. Truth be told, I would personally like a copy of that list as well, if you'd be so kind. Depending on how much I can bring myself to change things, I might be able to do some fix ups, though knowing me, it may either take a while or not happen.

And about Tewi, that is intentional. I have no idea why it was like that before in other games, but Tewi specifically could evolve using those shards between those forms, so I kept that in since it was like that before. Truth be told, the error in that is if ATewi can't evolve into DTewi with a Blue Shard.

The 8 unused slots are things I'd rather not touch as well, admittedly. Dealing with the non-pokedex slots is a right pain and this hack is already a cobbled together mess.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Second, I got annoyed because I couldn't find an accurate summary online of all the available characters and how to get them, so I spent several hours making my own spreadsheet based on data pulled from the ROM... And I figured I should post it here because other people might find it useful. Nearly all of it was done using the Gen 3 Hacking Suite, which I realise may not have been the best choice after it threw up some oddities, which GBA Pokemon Game Editor did not. Anyway, here is where a link to the spreadsheet would be if this account wasn't brand new (I guess I can PM it or something if you want?). Yes, it does contain what could be considered spoilers, so don't open it if you don't want to know secrets.

I'd like that list too, I want to start the hack ASAP.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Sorry for the double post, but I found a possible issue. I don't know if it's intentional, but the EV-reducing berries don't do anything. Trying to use them has that Oak message where he said it's not the time to use it. That sucks because dedicated EV-investment would've made this a smoother playthrough.

Then again how rocky it was, starting from when I battled the E4 for the first time, elevated the hack from being just fun and engrossing, to also being intense and often downright maddening. A range of emotions were felt with the hack. It's the best fakemon hack I played that isn't named Clover. The replay value is so high, it's one of a few hacks where I'd like to complete the dex or go beyond and make a living dex. It does speak a lot of how good it is that even though I farmed for Rare Candies and had over 30 in total, I committed to grinding in the wild (Vs Seeker would've been better, for both EXP and money grinding as I was close to being broke at the end of the game).

So yeah, great work on this hack. I'd like to play the other Touhou hacks thanks to this.

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
Sorry for the double post, but I found a possible issue. I don't know if it's intentional, but the EV-reducing berries don't do anything. Trying to use them has that Oak message where he said it's not the time to use it. That sucks because dedicated EV-investment would've made this a smoother playthrough.

Then again how rocky it was, starting from when I battled the E4 for the first time, elevated the hack from being just fun and engrossing, to also being intense and often downright maddening. A range of emotions were felt with the hack. It's the best fakemon hack I played that isn't named Clover. The replay value is so high, it's one of a few hacks where I'd like to complete the dex or go beyond and make a living dex. It does speak a lot of how good it is that even though I farmed for Rare Candies and had over 30 in total, I committed to grinding in the wild (Vs Seeker would've been better, for both EXP and money grinding as I was close to being broke at the end of the game).

So yeah, great work on this hack. I'd like to play the other Touhou hacks thanks to this.

That is intentional. The EV reduction berries weren't enabled in the original version of this hack, and I didn't particularly enable them myself, nor will I more than likely.

The 'Vs Seeker' not being in there is simply due to rematches being broken, having needed to use those trainer slots for Johto.

And good luck, if you do go for the living dex. If there are any that you can't get your hands on, then let me know. That'd be information I'd like to know.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 17, 2019
Okay, so I ended up making an account just so I could post here. First of all, amazing work with this hack. I'm currently at the beginning of Johto and already put roughly 50 hours into it. Definitely a huge step up from the "original" english version and that one was already amazing. 👍

That being said here's a bit of (hopefully useful) feedback. Keep in mind that I have no idea what is and isn't possible in rom hacking, never done it myself apart from changing a few things in this hack with an easy to use editor.
  • Would it be possible to move islands 6 and 7 onto the same (town) map screen as island 4 and 5? That would for one thing clear up a page for Johto while also making travel between islands a lot less annoying.
  • Would it further be possible to replace the size comparison area in the pokedex with a location map for Johto? Sizes seem to be broken anyway, and having a reliable ingame reference where puppets are would be pretty damn useful (working on a living Dex myself).
  • Why exactly did you remove sliding evolutions? If your concern was early game balance, wouldn't it make more sense to instead restrict Chibi puppets to level-up evolutions only and then allow sliding once they are evolved?
  • Does the VS Seeker work on all overworld trainers or is it possible to restrict it to certain battles only? If it's the latter you could restrict it to trainers that only have one set of Puppets. Or do those trainers not exist at all? I'm asking because getting a new puppet up to speed when one is already far into the game is a pain with only wild battles. Not to mention that some trainers would be pretty useful for EV training.
  • Last (and probably least), how about drastically reducing the number of steps needed to hatch eggs? Fire Red does not yet include the ability to half the number using Flame Body and getting three relatively good puppets almost broke me 😩

Zeta Sukuna

Years
Okay, so I ended up making an account just so I could post here. First of all, amazing work with this hack. I'm currently at the beginning of Johto and already put roughly 50 hours into it. Definitely a huge step up from the "original" english version and that one was already amazing. 👍

That being said here's a bit of (hopefully useful) feedback. Keep in mind that I have no idea what is and isn't possible in rom hacking, never done it myself apart from changing a few things in this hack with an easy to use editor.
  • Would it be possible to move islands 6 and 7 onto the same (town) map screen as island 4 and 5? That would for one thing clear up a page for Johto while also making travel between islands a lot less annoying.
  • Would it further be possible to replace the size comparison area in the pokedex with a location map for Johto? Sizes seem to be broken anyway, and having a reliable ingame reference where puppets are would be pretty damn useful (working on a living Dex myself).
  • Why exactly did you remove sliding evolutions? If your concern was early game balance, wouldn't it make more sense to instead restrict Chibi puppets to level-up evolutions only and then allow sliding once they are evolved?
  • Does the VS Seeker work on all overworld trainers or is it possible to restrict it to certain battles only? If it's the latter you could restrict it to trainers that only have one set of Puppets. Or do those trainers not exist at all? I'm asking because getting a new puppet up to speed when one is already far into the game is a pain with only wild battles. Not to mention that some trainers would be pretty useful for EV training.
  • Last (and probably least), how about drastically reducing the number of steps needed to hatch eggs? Fire Red does not yet include the ability to half the number using Flame Body and getting three relatively good puppets almost broke me 😩

Thank you for the compliment. It wasn't the biggest changes, but I did do some things, and I am mostly happy with Kanto.

And to answer your list:

1: As much as I'd like to do this, I tried to edit the town map to do something similar and it did not work. If someone else is willing to do that, then I'd be pretty happy and would do that. (Truth be told, I would put all of them on the same map, but still.)

2: Unfortunately, I can not do that.

3: I removed them because I did not like the weird move combinations that could be given to puppets through it, and it just felt fairly unbalanced throughout the game rather than just early game. This also would have been a nightmare prepping enemies for that, given that they'd have a similar ability to get those moves.

4: The vs Seeker might be coming back in a future update. It depends on if what I did worked on everyone in Kanto and Sevii.

5: I could, but I probably won't, if only because I'd rather not go through the entire list of puppets for that at this time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 17, 2019
5: I could, but I probably won't, if only because I'd rather not go through the entire list of puppets for that at this time.

Fair enough, I'll just have to do it myself if I want to breed a certain puppet I guess. Nice to hear the hack is still being worked on, I usually only stumble across projects like this after they were abandoned.

By the way, for some reason items randomly respawn in Johto from time to time. Is that intentional? Other than, when going left far enough to enter Route 4 (one or two steps) from the entrance to Cerulean Cave, a Maribel NPC spawns right in front of it. Talking to her softlocks the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 9, 2019
Any way to use the WAV soundtrack from Aichiya Sanae's Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced?

I was hooked to play this version instead I immediately noticed the lack of Frontier Aja's Afraid on the rival battle. 😔

Zeta Sukuna

Years
Any way to use the WAV soundtrack from Aichiya Sanae's Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced?

I was hooked to play this version instead I immediately noticed the lack of Frontier Aja's Afraid on the rival battle. ������

If there is, then I wouldn't know how to do it. Music insertion is not exactly my expertise, unfortunately. The version I based this on was a patch that had some of the tracks removed.

I am also going to piggyback off of this post to say that I am (very slowly) working on a new update. Don't expect much out of it, though. It is mostly bug fixes, and maybe the return of the Vs Seeker if I can find that there isn't any breaking of trainer encounters unlike last time. A big thank you to Cinfest's documentation for aiding as well as a reddit user ComaOfSouls for pointing out some of these errors.

Also, since it seems like there's enough information for me to do this, I will include Cinfest's spreadsheet on the first post so that more people can see it. If you wish for me to take it off of there, then I will do so.

Major thanks for what you've done so far, Cinfest. Hopefully you'll be able to finish it.

Last edited:
Back