• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you hate seeing in stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Still, not a reason to completely insult readers and writers of a particular genre, which you did in your original post. Especially when you're not even a fan of the genre, so it's not like you can speak from any experience reading it or writing it with any seriousness and you're speaking about it from a position of hating it, so...

Maybe if you didn't do that at the start, we wouldn't be sitting here pointing it out and having this discussion?

OR...maybe I just wanted an on-topic way to have some lulz at your armchair psychology and deep sense of self-awareness. Because that was my actual reasoning for quoting that part of your post.

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
Years
OR...maybe I just wanted an on-topic way to have some lulz at your armchair psychology and deep sense of self-awareness. Because that was my actual reasoning for quoting that part of your post.
I meant the "desire to say 'I love you' sneaking into everything" aspect.

Also, in my original post here I was criticizing the writers that do that thing. The "99% of non-satirical romance makes me turn and leave" thing is subjective; I did not say "this genre sucks." I just don't like it. It was only when coaxed that I even went into WHY I don't like it. >.>

But here, I feel like a broken record. If it still somehow seems I was saying the entire romance genre is crappy crap with no value to anyone ever, I apologize and amend my statements now by saying it is something that makes ME turn and leave, at least if it is the central point/overprolific, because I do not like it. Additionally, relying on repeating the same formulaic sentence ("X told Y "I love you" and they kissed," and variations thereof) (like a broken record :p) IS a crappy crap technique that cements this opinion where it is present. Crap.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I really don't like reading about stories that have scenes which need to be researched by the author to give a realistic presentation, and aren't. People should thoroughly research all they are going to put into their stories so it gives maximum authenticity.

I had to study carbon monoxide for chapters of my fanfiction, and I believe it paid off. It wasn't incredibly studious to do so, but it was a lot better than just winging it.

I also dislike when people don't have proper grammar and punctuation. I don't mind mistakes - everyone is human, and I have a fair few in everything I write, but when people condense words like 'you' and 'are' to things like 'u' and 'r' really infuriates me. I was writing on another forum and I posted a story - it was soon followed by a herd of stories, each with four sentence chapters with absolutely no prior thought, punctuation, grammar, or English.

...there, I think my rant is over. I think I have done most of those things, too.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
May as well revive this:

I dislike script fics since I like novelizations better. I was guilty of this back then so I guess it's a newbie thing.

I also hate it when the narration has Author Notes in them. It disrupts the flow of the story and very off-putting for me.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I hate when like.. people pit characters together in ways that are unrealistic to their personalities and make them fall in love for no reason. Like.. one second they're rivals and the next they're like.. confessing all these feelings when like.. there's no time to build their feelings .___.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
May as well revive this:

I dislike script fics since I like novelizations better. I was guilty of this back then so I guess it's a newbie thing.

I also hate it when the narration has Author Notes in them. It disrupts the flow of the story and very off-putting for me.
It already was revived from late augest to late september and now this is a two month bump. =| Given other stuff in the thread too I think it's run its course. If you want someone can remake it, but don't bump threads over a month old please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back