• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Simple Help / Quick Questions

Years
Can someone explain dubs and subs for me? my only knowledge is that they refer to English and Japanese versions of the show. Also, I thought that the English version was translated exactly word for word from the Japanese version, including the movies, and songs from the show, but apparently not? Some of the Japanese songs from the show don't even seem to have official English versions.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Can someone explain dubs and subs for me? my only knowledge is that they refer to English and Japanese versions of the show. Also, I thought that the English version was translated exactly word for word from the Japanese version, including the movies, and songs from the show, but apparently not? Some of the Japanese songs from the show don't even seem to have official English versions.

Sub is Japanese voice actors with subtitles.
Dub is localised voice actors.

It's not entirely word for word but close to. They need to fit the mouth movements with dialogue since speech patterns/articulation are different. They also have to localise it for that region.

A lot of Japanese songs dont make the dub because it's cheaper for TCPi to make their own and then have other countries pay them royalties for using the dubs songs (non-English dubs use the English version for translation)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I say this is the date because it is the day after XYZ ends and they are only showing the first episode. And that is the only episode I am picking up on my guide right now.

This is what the TV Guide for Direct TV has listed for that day. But it has not been confirmed 100%. Not by Disney at least.
The first two episodes of Sun and Moon aired in English on December 5 as a special preview and they've rerun a few times since. Wikipedia doesn't have a US airdate for the 3rd episode yet and I couldn't find any other airdates listed for when the series will start up again.

Years
According to my guide, Pokemon The Series: Sun and Moon will possibly be starting on Sunday the 22nd. The time is 6pm Eastern and 5pm Central. Not sure how the timing of shows works in the west.

According to Bulbapedia, it appears to just be another rerun of SM001 (sneak peek rerun?) so that stands by my theory the full season won't start until some time in February.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I was looking at my provider's program guide and according to it Disney XD is going to start rerunning Pokémon XY next Saturday February 11. They'll be airing one episode each day two times a day, starting 9am that Saturday. Nothing yet on Sun and Moon, although it's possible this listing really could be for Sun and Moon because I remember my guide having the first two episodes listed as XYZ episodes before changing them to Sun and Moon later.

Years
I was looking at my provider's program guide and according to it Disney XD is going to start rerunning Pokémon XY next Saturday February 11. They'll be airing one episode each day two times a day, starting 9am that Saturday. Nothing yet on Sun and Moon, although it's possible this listing really could be for Sun and Moon because I remember my guide having the first two episodes listed as XYZ episodes before changing them to Sun and Moon later.

According to this tweet, Pokemon will be airing on Boomerang for the final time this week, confirming that Saturday February 11 will be the date Pokemon anime moves permanently to Disney XD.

Now the question will be, what will the Sun & Moon dub's schedule will be. Cartoon Network aired Pokemon in a bad timeslot (aka Saturday early mornings) so hopefully Disney XD learned from that disaster and settles for a time that the target audience will actually be around to watch it.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I was wondering when its Boomerang run would end. My program guide had episodes airing at 4 and 4:30 instead of 10 starting this week. The new era for Pokémon dub reruns in the US has begun.

As for the timeslot, with DVR and streaming I don't think timeslots matter as much. If you're not up at 7am to watch you can record or watch it online or on demand later. Not all children are able to do this, but they can get their parents or older siblings to. The reruns are airing in decent slots and they aired the newest movie and the first two Sun and Moon episodes at 5 and 7 to 8pm eastern so that gives hope of a good timeslot.

Last edited:
Years
According to the Nick & More Twitter page, it appears we won't be getting the Sun & Moon dub on Disney XD until most likely April at the earliest, since their tweets mentioned the series won't be starting in March, and we know February will have Season 17 (Pokemon The Series: XY) reruns.

If that is the case, this will officially be the longest waiting period between Japanese airings and the dubbed airings of the new season. Disney XD also has a habit of airing episodes of their shows in bulk (I recall Yo-Kai Watch aired in bulk), which seems to be what they're now doing with Pokemon.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
According to the Nick & More Twitter page, it appears we won't be getting the Sun & Moon dub on Disney XD until most likely April at the earliest, since their tweets mentioned the series won't be starting in March, and we know February will have Season 17 (Pokemon The Series: XY) reruns.

If that is the case, this will officially be the longest waiting period between Japanese airings and the dubbed airings of the new season. Disney XD also has a habit of airing episodes of their shows in bulk (I recall Yo-Kai Watch aired in bulk), which seems to be what they're now doing with Pokemon.

Well...on the one hand, it'll make for better viewing IMO, since you can binge it at a time.

On the other, people who only watch the dub are missing out, SM is (not my opinion, fact), a complete blast to watch!
It's actually totally my opinion before I'm called out

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I don't get why they aired the first two episodes so early then if they're not starting the series again until at least April. Was there this long a gap with preview episodes in the past? I wonder if there's some sort of issue production or contract wise that's delaying the continuation.

Years
If I recall, the XY preview episodes aired in October 2013, while the XY dub in full didn't start until February 2014. Not sure about previous generation sagas, but Sun & Moon is indeed setting a record for the longest time between previews and the full series airdates.

Still, as said above we could have some potential issue causing the delay of the Sun & Moon dub and maybe the delay is taking so long to resolve that it's causing Disney XD to reair the first XY season.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Still, as said above we could have some potential issue causing the delay of the Sun & Moon dub and maybe the delay is taking so long to resolve that it's causing Disney XD to reair the first XY season.
Disney XD was going to air reruns anyway, but I was assuming it would be along with new Sun and Moons and not in place of for the meantime. I wonder if they chose XY to start showing reruns because it just recently completed so the current audience would remember it and possibly rewatch, or because it's the only one they have rights for at the moment along with the movies they're airing.

Years
So I'm about to finish the DP series, (I'm watching the anime in chronological order because I've never properly watched it before) but from what I've heard the BW series was really bad. Obviously I don't know myself, but that seems to be the popular opinion. I don't really have much time to watch the show anymore, being in my final year of school, so I only want to watch the show if it's actually enjoyable. Should I just skip BW and move onto the "highly rated" XY series? or should I just watch bits and pieces of BW? Sorry if this isn't a 'quick question' btw.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
So I'm about to finish the DP series, (I'm watching the anime in chronological order because I've never properly watched it before) but from what I've heard the BW series was really bad. Obviously I don't know myself, but that seems to be the popular opinion. I don't really have much time to watch the show anymore, being in my final year of school, so I only want to watch the show if it's actually enjoyable. Should I just skip BW and move onto the "highly rated" XY series? or should I just watch bits and pieces of BW? Sorry if this isn't a 'quick question' btw.

Best Wishes has it's fans. I felt XY takes itself too seriously and is massively overrated.

The main thing about Best Wishes is that:
TR is sort of bland, being competent, yes, but also losing their personalities in doing so.
Ash is energetic and has a personality, but it comes at a cost to his competence and coming off the back of DP, can be really jarring.
Iris' catchphrase will either really annoy you, or you'll see it as gentle teasing.
Team Plasma won't be great, the story was dropped due to natural disasters in real life.
Continuity is great - they bring back past characters and explains how Ash arrived in Kalos.
Light hearted throughout.

XY:
Ash is about as complex as a sheet of paper, but is extremely competent as a trainer.
First time the Pokegirl is confirmed to have a crush if you like shipping characters.
TR is more or less a joke in this saga.
Team Flare stuff, is OK, not the best as it's made out to be.
Continuity is bad - it's more or less a standalone series.
Takes itself more seriously and more apparent in XYZ.

Years
Would you say Ash's personality is different in the original series compared to the DP series? because if so, I honestly haven't noticed at all. I've only really picked up on one change, and that's that Ash has much less comedic relief around him. In the OG series the humour and jokes were balanced between all of the main characters, where as in DP, it comes mainly (besides a few moments) from TR. My least favourite of the series right now is the Johto saga. Too many fillers, the episodes were boring and I didn't like Ash's team. If BW is anything like that then I might just only watch the important episodes.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Cilan is an entertaining character and Iris has her moments. I'd give BW ten episodes or so before deciding whether or not to commit to every episode. Ash's team don't get the best of development, considering he gets nine pokemon and is constantly rotating them out throughout BW.

You could skip large parts of Delacore Islands though. A lot of that is filler and not good filler.

Years
I might watch the first few episodes and then decide from then on. I don't know why, but it really bugs me when Ash's pokemon don't evolve (bar Pikachu). Especially when they're starter pokemon that should evolve due to level.

Years
I know a lot of people probably already had this opinion, but why does it seem like everyone is coming out of the woodworks saying how much they hate Serena now? It seemed like most people were happy with her until like a month ago. I haven't seen the XY series so I am uninformed of why people dislike her.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I watched the first 12 episodes of BW and I understand the general dislike for it. It feels completely disconnected from the previous seasons, Iris and Cilan are irritating, Ash has too much of a newbie feel, and Jessie James and Meowth being dark and more serious doesn't work. The episodes are pretty dull too. There's a few episodes I've read about that I may watch because they sound interesting (like the Charizard reunion and the episodes where Meowth joins Ash and co), but otherwise it's just not very good.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
I know a lot of people probably already had this opinion, but why does it seem like everyone is coming out of the woodworks saying how much they hate Serena now? It seemed like most people were happy with her until like a month ago. I haven't seen the XY series so I am uninformed of why people dislike her.

She's got likeable traits but the writing behind her is nothing short of terrible.

Back