• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gonna begin collecting

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
Hey everyone, After playing pokemon for the last month I decided I want to begin collecting cards again and possibly play for fun. I use to play back a while ago when the original packs came out, I remember buying a few packs with $20 when I was a kid and opening the packs and putting them in a giant circle around, me >.< Is there anywhere to start? Do the new packs have old cards also or just new cards? I won't be getting any cards anytime soon, money situation going on with the family and myself >.<
But is there anywhere to begin collecting? Should I go for a tin or just packs? I was thinking the HG trainer kit just because Raichu is given >:)

Years
New packs don't have any older cards, just new cards from those particular sets, but the new packs do tend to have at least a few cards with older Pokemon.

If you're looking to relearn how to play, then I'd start with one of the Trainer Kits. Otherwise, if you're just collecting, I recommend tins and booster boxes instead, though you can't buy booster boxes in stores. You'd have to buy those from online retailers.

Years
Donny V pretty much has it covered. But if you used to play back when the base set was out or whatever and you're like me, then you won't need a trainer kit to get back up to speed with playing. I ended up getting a theme deck to get back into the swing of things.

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
So I would have to try to find older packs online? I don't mind collecting new cards but I would love to have old and at least the commons from every generation. I'm gonna get the HG trainer kit when I get the money. And booster boxes is it how yu-gi-oh with a giant box full of packs(not a tin)? or something like that?

When I use to play I was in like 4th grade and did not even know how to play me and my friends made our own rules. I don't even remember what cards I had, the only one I remember is a oddish since thats the first card I pulled from my venasur(excuse my bad spelling for his name) pack

Years
Thing is, a booster for an older set generally runs for no lower than $13, with some going for as high as $50 each, at least in the sets from 2002 and earlier. It's cheaper to buy the commons and uncommons in bulk and buying the rares individually, to be honest.

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
Oh I see, and buying a bulk of uncommons. Is it true that the shiny charizard from back then is worth $2000 plus?

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
The website or video must have been misinformed they said 1st edition charizard from back in the day was worth $2300.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Id suggest buying lots off of the internet. You still get the thrill of opening a pack, but with the added chance of getting older cards.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Ebay and amazon sense. Ive bought a few, rarely have i been completely disappointed.

Years
I just started collecting again too. I bought a few booster boxes. I was extremely pleased with my pulls. Almost completely my Call of Legends set with 1 booster box. There are a lot of original Pokemon in this set too, that's the main reason why i got it :) I got video of me opening it on youtube if you want to check it out exactly whats in the set. Or just contact me :) Goodluck and enjoy collecting!

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
I just started collecting again recently only the Next Destinies Decks atm (I know they're a little old)...gonna start from there and work my way up it least i can start from somewhere I might get into playing again I just have no one to play with :(

I just gave up after someone who used to be my friend stole all my rare cards and denied the whole thing saying she didn't when i found some of my rares in her binder she stole it leaset 5-600 dollars worth of rares i had, my mom and I we're pretty angry

Back