• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a food you hated as a kid, but now love as an adult/got older?

Years
I used to think calamari was disgusting when I was a kid but nowadays whenever someone at my table orders it, I always enjoy grabbing a bite...or three

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2021
I hated pickles as a child, whenever we got Macca's burgers, I'd always remove them. Now pickles and pickled veggies in general are among my favourite foods.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Most leafy greens especially spinach. I used to avoid salads and greens like spinach, kale, lettuce, and cabbage cause I thought the texture was too weird. But now I realize with just the right amount of added flavors they can be pretty good. I think canned spinach is what put me off to spinach at first cause it looked like green vomit and smells awful but once I gave the fresh kind a try I realized it was only the canned kind thats horrible. And now one of my favorite things to buy at work is the chopped kale pasta salad. The basil dressing makes everything pop more and I love sun-dried tomatoes.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Tons. I was a super picky kid, but my taste buds changed dramatically for me. Chinese and Mexican food were the worst for me. Now i cannot live a full week without on or the other or both.

Years
I was probably the only child in the world who didn't like cake, especially cupcakes. I know how strange this may seem, I just didn't like the texture of cake, it seemed spongey and crumbly. The flavor was kinda dry to my child tongue, except for the obligatory saccharine frosting--which I hated even more. To me it was like having your food covered in sugary tooth paste. I was okay with other desserts, I loved all kinds of cookies, pinwheels, popsicles, candy. Cake was an anomaly.

I warmed up to cake when I discovered ice cream cake. Now even 8 year-old-me loved herself some cookies and cream ice cream, and having a cake made from it changed everything. I saw the light.

Because cake is really rich it isn't something I eat often, but there are some good flavors out there, cheesecake, sock-it-to-me, coconut, chocolate fudge. Every once in awhile I will try it if it is on the menu or I pass an interesting cake creation while shopping for groceries.

Also, I thought buttermilk was really nasty as a kid, food with buttermilk like pancakes tasted oily and bitter to me. I don't feel that way now though, I actually enjoy things like buttermilk biscuits.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 6, 2019
I hated cheese when I was 8-10 years...but now I can't imagine my life without it...bree, mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano and so on...mmm love it😊

Last edited:
Years
Closest would probably be onions, and only because I can't say I love them, but I don't mind them by now. They were definitely one of the "yuck" foods of mine as a child (unless they were in the form of onion rings), I would not touch them in foods if I could see them, but now I find myself actually putting them on things at times, or frying them up with other veggies just because I can.

Years
oh yeah, definitely! I used to hate most vegetables, including tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, spinach, etc. now i can't get enough of them in my day-to-day meals!

PB

creation hero
Years
proabablyyyy Pickles? I used to think of them as gross when I got them in burgers, and I always wanted to gag whenever I saw my my best friend pull her's out at lunch. I don't remember the exact details but I finally caved at an outing and now I can't survive without them woop

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I hated mustard when I was a kid. But now, I like putting some on burgers.

TheBatPrince

Banned
Years
I used to hate most veggies growing up. Things like peas mostly... but now that I'm an adult, I seem to tolerate them a lot more. It was somewhat the same with Spinach. I used to hate it until my mom told me that I needed to eat it if I wanted to grow big and strong like Popeye... ever since then, I absolutely LOVE spinach! :3

What about you?

YES, me too!

I know exactly how you feel. Now I love eating Stir Fries, Salads, Sandwiches, Burgers, all of that. I had to have my food specially filtered with all of the Vegetables taken out. Or, pureed so fine that it would essentially turn every favourite Stew or Soup of mine into a Pudding.

The key is to just prepare them the correct way; most people don't like them mushy and all. Also learning what flavours compose them, and how to use them. Like Bell Peppers being more semi-Sweetish and Salty rather than Spicy, different Potatoes, and not doing the "taste test" mechanic with our Tongue, where you just scan for the first initial strong flavour and then instantly hate it. Also, not chewing it in an attempt to get it down faster and over with; is NOT a solution. It's more like having a Bug in the Jungle at that point.

But basically all in all, it's also about understanding that Vegetables all come from the Ground in a sense. Where, if you understand every component of a Plant, like the Leaf, Stem, etc. you'll see that they're all relatively made of the same things. Maybe Kids just tend to fear them because they feel it represents being like a Grown Up, and not being fun anymore.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I've really come around to liking most greens, onions, carrots and tomatoes, originally veggies I couldn't smell without feeling sick...though, I can't really have tomatoes fresh or else I immediately gag for some reason.

Sirfetch’d

I really hated any type of green veggie as a child but now eat them almost daily. Green beans, peas, broccoli, cabbage, etc. were all very disgusting when I was little.

Back