• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Hey Necrum, I think you should put some clarification in the OP regarding the use of legendaries. I find that legendaries are very much present in this kind of challenge so they really should have a mention in the OP.

I have been looking for an excuse to play Sacred Gold, so here's my signup:

Username: jdthebud
Game: Sacred Gold
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 Pokemon, no more than two Pokemon with the same type. Surfer and Flyer.

Hey jdthebud!

Your team is:
Huntail
Farfetch'd
Chimecho
Rampardos
Shuckle
Marowak

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Necrum is a top bloke so I'll do it.
Username: vaporeon7
Game: Crystal
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 5 Pokémon, one that can learn surf.

bilzandpap

Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Well, actually, I'm quite certain that people already completed this challenge in gen 5. But the old thread went a really long time without an update, and I copied the Champion list straight out of the old thread. I plan on going through all the posts since the last update in the old thread and figuring out who else completed. Sorry to crush your dreams of being the first. :(

D'oh :disappoin here's my newest update:

Spoiler:

EDIT: Oh and vaporeon7, you can have Ditto, Ursaring, Donphan, Forretress, and Golduck.

Last edited:

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Username: Asura_kuro
Game: Platinum
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: None :3

Vaporeon 7 your team is! Shuckle! Kingler! Furret! Arbok! and Golduck! (i dont know if you want 5 pokémon and 1 of them needs to be able to learn surf or 5 pokemons + 1 that can learn surf if it is the case the 6 pokemon is Donphan!)

bilzandpap

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Well vaporeon7, it seems you have two teams to choose from XD
And as for you, pacifist, you get Leafeon, Ambipom, Lumineon, Dusknoir, Weavile, and Chatot!

I've been playing nonstop for the last hour, so here's what I've done:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: KagamiChan
Game: Pokémon White
Pokémon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 Pokémon, no 2 Pokémon with the same type combination, no limit generation-wise( feel free to pick any pokémon from any Gen), must have a Pokémon able to use Fly and one that can use Surf.

bilzandpap

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Here's what I did today.

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Updated through post 30.

I've been noticing a lot of people not really following the parameters when giving teams. Please pay attention when giving teams so everyone can be happy with what they get, and no bad feelings will be had.

Have fun! I'll be starting my challenge tonight now that I managed to secure a Surfing Pikachu. You heard me right. A surfing Pikachu, like from the Pokewalker. I always wanted to use one, but most challenges don't really allow me to do something like that because of hacking and trading rules. But with this challenge I can! Yay!

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Username: Tman109ner
Game: Crystal
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

No doubling up on type combinations.

bilzandpap

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Tman109er, you can take Rapidash, Primeape, Porygon2, Forretress, Slowking, and Jynx.

As for me, I tried to get an update last night but the servers were overcrowded, so here's what I've done over the last 2 days:

Spoiler:

EDIT: Caught Reshiram, beat N and Ghetsis, and watched the credits roll, therefore making me Champion of The One That Got Away Challenge on Pokemon Black Version! I would upload a picture but I have no clue how... here's my team anyways:

Spoiler:

Since Dragonair and Pupitar were both so close to evolving, I evolved them after the fact with Rare Candies. Just so I could say that I had a Tyranitar and a Dragonite on my team.

Gonna go do a Monotype Challenge now. I'm thinking Psychic, or Normal.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
First update! I went through the usual start game nonsense, and managed to trade in all my Pokemon. What I forgot to do, was grab some evo items before resetting my HG, so I went ahead and hacked them in. I'm not evolving just yet, since I both think that's an unfair advantage, and want some moves for the stone evos first. I cleared out Sprout tower easily until Oddish, the only Pokemon on my team that was low enough to obey me, reached lvl 10 and started being a jerk to me. I beat Falkner with Pikachu, easy easy, easy.

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Hey everyone! Just a question; While doing the The Ones that got Away challenge, is it a rule to capture your suggested team members all in one? So I mean that you go through the game with (in my case) 6 Pokémon from the beginning? (After getting the Pokéballs)

As for me: Haven't started the challenge yet, first I have to finish other games.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Hey everyone! Just a question; While doing the The Ones that got Away challenge, is it a rule to capture your suggested team members all in one? So I mean that you go through the game with (in my case) 6 Pokémon from the beginning? (After getting the Pokéballs)

As for me: Haven't started the challenge yet, first I have to finish other games.

You don't have to have your whole team from the beginning. Some people just like to trade the whole thing in from the start. Some people like to add one member per gym. It's up to you really, which is why I made the rule that you can use any means to obtain your team. But you should try to at least have your first pokemon as soon as humanly possible. But over all I intended this to be a really laid back experience, so don't worry yourself too much over the little details of the challenge.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
You don't have to have your whole team from the beginning. Some people just like to trade the whole thing in from the start. Some people like to add one member per gym. It's up to you really, which is why I made the rule that you can use any means to obtain your team. But you should try to at least have your first pokemon as soon as humanly possible. But over all I intended this to be a really laid back experience, so don't worry yourself too much over the little details of the challenge.

Ok, thank you! I'm glad I can decide myself when I will gather my team members.

Current progress: At Viridian Forest, 0 Badges, Team;
Charmander lv.11
Ekans lv.5

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I've been meaning to try this challenge for a while and it looks fun so yeah sign me up!

Username: Narnia
Game: Firered
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 Pokemon and preferably only two Pokemon maximum can share the same type and surfer along with a flyer.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I've been meaning to try this challenge for a while and it looks fun so yeah sign me up!

Username: Narnia
Game: Firered
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 Pokemon and preferably only two Pokemon maximum can share the same type and surfer along with a flyer.
Medicham
Sudowoodo
Parasect
Kangaskhan
Cloyster
Skarmory

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
User-name: Somniac
Game: Emerald
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 Pokémon, a variety of types would be appreciated, but I'm not fussy. I just want motivation to use Pokémon I've never tried before. I have access to a fully completed pokedex on both Ruby and Sapphire, so I can get any of them. I'll hatch them as eggs, and trade them in at level 1. To make it a bit fairer, I'll only trade them in if theyre not obtainable before the 3rd gym or so [apart from the starter, which i'll trade in asap.]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Somniac, how about Tauros, Ariados, Mawile, Spoink, Lileep, Chinchou?

Back