• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Psychological Factor

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
385.png

The whole thing about emotions with players, and psychological factors are a highly unexplored area of Pokemon. However, emotions can have a huge affect on a battle. Many Pokemon can annoy the living you know what. *out of people, and this can cause many players to become "blinded by rage". Anger can cause many players to lose focus, make quick, rash decisions, and sometimes go on tilt. Another thing that some players struggle with is impatience or frustration (or at least I do) Again, these things can cause a lose of focus and poor decisions to just "get it over with". So, how do these emotions come about in a game that's supposed to be fun? Normally, these things happen naturally due to hax or stall, but there are awesome Pokemon who's purpose in life is to cause these emotions, and that's mostly what we're here for. So, let's talk about this "psychological factors" when:

You are using it: Some people like to include Pokemon that induce rage and cause the opponent to not play their best. I don't think we could talk about rage inducing Pokemon without talking about Jirachi. Jirachi is probably the most annoying Pokemon in the game thanks to its ability, Serene Grace, and the power to abuse it. Not only does Jirachi have Iron Head, which has a 60% flinch rate on her, but she also has Body Slam and even Thunder (which both have a 60% para rate) to form the dreaded paraflinch combo. This can be very frustrating for the opponent, as if Jirachi paralyses you, it usually comes down to lady luck to determine the victor. I think we all know how frustrating it is when lady luck rules in Jirachi's favor. Now, back to this thread. What I'd like to see discussed here is:

~ What Pokemon have you found effective to hurt your opponent psychological?
~ Is psychological warfare an effective technique to defeat your opponent?
~ Are moves/Pokemon designed to annoy worth the spot over more reliable, tried and true strategies?

Your opponent is using it: So, what if your opponent is now the one with the annoying Pokemon? What do you do? This is a very unexplored topic as far as I know, but I'll talk briefly about it as best I can. The trick here is to keep your cool. If you let your opponent get the best of you emotionally, the odds are you're going to lose since you'll start making poor choices. A good idea is to remember its just a game. It's. It worth getting worked up about. Another thing to worry about is patience. This is particularly important when playing against stall. Unfortunately, I don't know any tricks to this, but all the more reason to discuss. So, what I'd like to see answered here is:

~ How do you keep your cool even in frustrating conditions?
~ How do remain patient and calm when playing in something like, a stall battle?

Years
I only skimmed through the post, so sorry if I misunderstood something. I rarely get caught in frustrating situations, because I have ways to deal with jirachi etc(it's not that hard really). In the cases of stall vs stall 50+ turns of battle, I just turn on the Beatles and enjoy the battle. Stall is a part of the game, and quite frankly it's very easy to deal with stall in bw2

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
The only thing I generally use that seems to frustrate my opponents is Encore on my Whimsicott when they start to set up >=)
On double battles I have it use Sunny Day when other weather starters come to rain on my parade.
I also have a thunderwave prankster thundurus, but I wouldn't say that's too annoying.

I don't keep my cool when I'm being annoyed, but I'm not one of those sore losers who rage quit. If people are playing the game, they should know that hax happen, should accept the new moves and abilities, etc. Otherwise, I advise them not to play the game and not waste other people's time when they can't take a fair win. No excuse to rage quit. GRRR!

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
Yeah,
Jirachi...Possibly the most annoying pokemon in OU.
And yet,fun to use.
I try to keep my cool at all times,it's just a simple game,I won't get frustrated,
I would say those who ragequit all the time,are like...Childish!
I get a little annoyed sometimes when there's stall like this:
level 3 Spikes,
level 3 Toxic spikes,
and Stealth rock.
On my team.I won't get annoyed if I had rapid spin.

Gym Leader Jake

Water Gym Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 6, 2013
Many Pokemon cause rage. I think the most widely used one is a Pokemon that we all know and "Love" - Ferrothorn. This massive wall counters nearly everything in the game, bar fire types, it it is used correctly. I personally have won many battles due to Ragequits caused by my Ferrothorn.

Back