• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your in game habits!

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, what are your video game habits/tendency? Everybody has them so feel free to share!

i have quite a few habits in JRPGs.
I need to talk to every NPC before I proceed to the next event. I always feel like I might miss something if I don't.
I'll hold on the most rare and powerful item just to use on the final boss, I end up never using it though.

In Pokémon I immediately reset if my favorite Pokémon faints.

In Mario games I need to explore every nook and cranny of a level.

In Metroid games once I figure it out a path I immediately reset just to get to the place quicker.

Well there's some of my OCD gaming habits. What about y'all?

Years
In some games, I strive for perfection. Now take osu! for example. If I miss a note, most times I'll restart.

In a loot-grabbing game such as Borderlands 2 or Torchlight 2, I always have to compare loot for an excess amount of time.

Pokemon-wise, when my Pokemon want to learn a new move I usually have to compare the other 4 moves for a while (usually consulting Bulbapedia or Serebii in the process) to see which one I'll get rid of.

In most shooters, i.e. Call of Duty or Combat Arms, I tend to go head-first into a firefight (hoping to get something)

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
Years
Pokemon-wise, when my Pokemon want to learn a new move I usually have to compare the other 4 moves for a while (usually consulting Bulbapedia or Serebii in the process) to see which one I'll get rid of
I do this sometimes too. I'm not a competitive battler and I don't care TOO much about movesets, so sometimes I'll just take out the move I use the least.

Bioshock 2: Even when I'm in dire need of some powers ups at the cost of ADAM. I'll never harvest extras with Little Sisters. Not because I don't like the girls, I'm just paranoid that the Splicers will get her if I'm not careful. i am her daddy after all

Skyrim/Fallout/Basically every game with ranged weapons: Jumping and running around like a maniac trying to dodge bullets/arrows.

TY

In RTS games, i tend to go for upgrades straight away when i get the needed structure for it, i like having a advantage over my enemies.

Also i like to stick with one or two unit types, and mostly they are made from the same structure.

In Borderlands 2 i always rush near the boss when it dies to see if it drops a rare gun.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Pokémon Series: Every NPC must be spoken to, all trainers on every route must be defeated at least once.

FPS Gamers Multiplayer: I have no reason to play online without an objective. I always try to max out weapons, get all attachments, achieve all challenges.

FPS-In Game:

I ogre-twitch, which means, I rotate the right thumb-stick constantly, obviously not while playing, but doing so sometimes causes me to spin my gun around full circle before I start the game.

That's all the ones-- OH! No notable overpowered weapons. I usually use underdog weapons as it makes me feel fair.

I also don't use perks or abilities that are crutch-like. I play as vanilla as possible. In every game.

Years
In FPS games, I must have unlocked every possible attachment/upgrade to the gun I normally use before I change my weapon or have the stats erased. After that, I must use it for a good few games until I get the highest amount of points on whatever mode I am playing and am happy with the score because the highest doesn't always mean it's good.

In RPGs, I have to play using what my character's approach would be instead of mine, because I like to engage myself with the style of play that my character would use as it makes the game very interesting for me. When I level up and have traits/attributes to upgrade I would stick to my character's skills rather than what I would prefer and this also goes for weapon of choice; I would choose a weapon that would match my character and all the weapons I ever use for that character must be fitted to his preferences.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I totally love to bunnyhop in games...in any game you see me playing, whether Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Battlefield 3, or even Sonic Generations - I'm almost always jumpin' around.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
In RPGs like Final Fantasy or Pokémon, just like some people, I can't move on without having talked to every NPC and visited every building/room I've seen.

The worst habit is that I don't save much. I often lose my progress because I have bad luck with my games crashing.... ;-;

Years
If something doesn't work the first time.. I'll keep on doing it until it finally does. :P
I also feel the need to talk to and battle every npc in the area before proceeding, you never know what items or info you could be missing out! Plus, it's good experience points.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
In pokemon games I have to get every pokemon in each route before heading on to another route, in towns I have to get each item/NPC talked to before heading on.
In games with medals/achievements I have to get every one unlocked before I am finished with it.

Years
The only games that I've formed any sort of habits in are those in the Pokemon series. I always have to make sure that I talk to every single NPC, have at least 80% of attack types covered by my team, and I have to battle every single trainer prior to the Elite Four (usually, I avoid as many as I can on my way to the next city, and once I get there, I heal my Pokemon so I get the city's Fly point, then I go back and face those I missed).

I guess the only other game I have a habit in is Sonic 2. If I can't beat the first act of Emerald Hill Zone in under 30 seconds, I'll either intentionally get myself killed or just restart the game entirely.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
In Call of Duty I'll spam the Y button just so my character does something (quickly switches between weapons) while I'm waiting to regain health. I don't know why I do it, I just do.

In Pokémon, I have to beat every trainer I can so I'm ready for the next gym or boss battle. I hate missing out on Exp.

For any game that offers the choice of going in guns blazing or going in quiet and sneaky, I always choose the sneaky route. It's easier than broadcasting your location to a ton of enemies by getting in a fight.

Years
For any game that offers the choice of going in guns blazing or going in quiet and sneaky, I always choose the sneaky route. It's easier than broadcasting your location to a ton of enemies by getting in a fight.

Sounds like something you do in Metal Gear series.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The only one I have worth mentioning is that when I accomplish something really hard or freakishly awesome(like nick-of-the-time-spud-I-got-this-extremely-awesome-item-which-is-so-rare), I save the game like crazy. Like overwrite the original save five times and make half a dozen copies (if the game allows that many multi-saves) and if not, then I just minimize the game and go to the saves folder and make a copy of my save into a personal folder.

Years
I have the same issue with having to talk to every NPC, whether its pokemon, zelda, paper mario or any RPG.

Also when it comes to 3D platformers, I will lose many lives just trying to see if a shortcut or sequence-break is plausible in a given scenario.

JordanD

Mark danced crazy
Years
When ever I play a really tough JRPG(Or the first time playing)I tend to complain alot,but still consider it time well spent,also whenever I lets play a game,I have a tendacy to constantly mention the "end game goal" for some reason :/.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
It definitely depends on the type of game I'm playing. I'll start with platform games. In those, I tend to speed through the storyline and then get down and dirty, lmao. Every coin, every achievement, every upgrade; everything I must have. I'll replay a level twenty times until I've gotten everything I possibly could out of it. That probably sounds boring, but to me it's a challenge that I willingly take on. To me, finishing levels in the most literal sense of the term brings the most amount of satisfaction in platform games, haha. I could also be crazy, but I think it's the former. xD

In RPGs, I'm a little less paranoid about finishing every objective known to man, but I do like to explore more than the regular gamer would. I'm very adventurous when playing this genre, and I take pride in discovering new areas or cool sections of the game that aren't well known. To me, once I finish an RPG, I always have a feeling in the back of my mind that I unknowingly skipped over some interesting part of the game, and I usually backtrack to make sure I didn't. I can admit that this can get a little boring, but it's worth it if I find a mini-game or new area that I've never heard of.

Finally, FPS games, of which I'm not a big fan, I just try to complete the level, lmao. I'm terrible at them, so doing just that is a huge achievement for me! If I can get some more objectives complete or set my own goals like not dying once in a level, I'll try, but there are no guarantees. If anything, I try to skip through the possible objectives screen because if I seem them all, I'll go about completing them all and spend days trying to, and failing. If I was actually good at FPS, maybe I'd be just as diligent as I am with the other genres, haha.

Back