• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon game Habits

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
Hey all,

I have habit when catching (attempting to catch) Pokémon of pressing UP and B while waiting for the the Pokéball to pass or fail. I have been doing this since the first US release of Red/Blue and heard a rumor that it helps the catch rate.

I was wondering if anyone else has similar habits revolving around the games. Whether they work or just superstitious ritual.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I too have this and it seems to help me or at least I think it does. I have three things I do continously. down button, pressing the a and b button or the down button with a and b.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I have a habit of trying to organize my Pokemon in the PC. I normally try to do it by type, but then I find a dual type and can't decide which box it should go in. I can sometimes spend a few hours trying to organize my PC. It gets annoying, but I can't stand not having it organized.

Years
I hold A, B and DOWN when trying to catch Pokemon...
Other than that, I always create a box called 'Temp' where I store Pokemon temporarily, hence the name.
Also, I always sell items like X Attack, Dire Hit,because I never use them.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I used to try to get them all to the same level as well. Also, saving before any major fights, events, and legendary opportunities, just incase something goes wrong. Money was already hard enough to come by in those games, I wasn't going to lose it. I also wasn't going to pass an opportunity to catch something rare.

blue

gucci
Years
My first initial thought when I saw this thread title was getting all of my Pokemon to the same level (If not then similar) before taking on a certain boss i.e Gym Leader, Team Leader etc.

Years
I always level grind to a sufficient level before proceeding to a certain area.

When I play multiple versions of the same generation's games, my main version always has to have the protagonist be female.

Last edited:

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
I always plan my team out when I play a game, and I always make sure I have a Fire, Water, and Grass type. I also spend a lot of time in the Game Corners, I'm not sure if that's a habit or not. I have to name every Pokemon I catch, and can spend a lot of time trying to pick out a good name for them. These are the only ones that come to mind.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
I have habit when catching (attempting to catch) Pokémon of pressing UP and B while waiting for the the Pokéball to pass or fail. I have been doing this since the first US release of Red/Blue and heard a rumor that it helps the catch rate.

Exactly the same habit XD

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Sorta unrelated, but a habit nonetheless, I always save my game when I pass a PokeCenter. I learned long ago what happens to people who don't save. ;P

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I save before battling a legendary, gym leader, etc. (or picking my starter, if I intend to SR).

Also am a compulsive game saver. Sometimes when I close my DSiXL, it just shuts off. I learned this the hard way and lost quite a bit of my work. D:

I sell all battle items, evolution stones (I keep one of each), fossils (again, one of each), shards, star pieces, and any other worthless stuff that can get me money.

Years
i always have to have a balence of gender in my team, 3 males 3 females, i also organize the box in how awesome i think pokemon are

I have the same gender ratio problem. I think i try to revolve my gameplay on a "would it be rewarding in a manga" type of way be because it just seems weird to have a te that ismt balanced i blame it all on ev training. I dont remember being this peculiar in red and blue about my team
Back in those days it was pretty much
Charizard
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Done.
But yeah i also have capture rate tendencies and a couple other bad habits. When you get older and learn about mathematical components in video games it kinda gets stale because. After that luck doesnt exsist

Years
The only real habit that I can think of is also pressing Up+B when trying to catch a Pokemon, even if I learned years ago that it doesn't actually do anything. And whether it counts as a habit or not I'm not quite sure, but I always nickname any Pokemon that I catch- except for the legendaries.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2013
I always save before catching a legendary pokemon so if I accidently ko the pokemon I can restart the game. I always put my team pokemon and legendary pokemon in a different box. I want to keep them separate from the other pokemon I capture.

Most of the time I want a all male team unless my starter is a female.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I save before going against a legendary.

And a weird one, everytime I save in my HG, I always put my Pokemon on the right of me in the game before saving xD

I absolutely have to sort the Pokemon in my PC Boxes by when I captured them. I get incredibly annoyed when I need a certain Pokemon for a HM or something and forget to switch boxes back to the in progress one. That now empty space gets filled up by the next Pokemon I catch and throws off the order.

Sorting the Pokemon I obtain in trades is quite a conundrum for me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I used to press either the A or B button right before a pokeball landed on the pokemon. I think a friend told me it made catching a pokemon easier so I kept doing it for ages. I don't do it anymore though, unless I'm trying to catch a legendary and I'm feeling desperate. :p

Other habits that I have developed since the fourth generation are ignoring most pokemon on my first run through the game. I usually only catch the six pokemon for my team. Before that gen I used to catch pokemon the whole way through. I figure this is better because it means I can back afterwards to catch them in the end game.

Also I much prefer having an even split of genders in my team, so much so that I won't catch a pokemon if it will upset the balance. (although I make an exception for a genderless pokemon) If I can avoid it I like having pokemon with different characteristics on my team too, but I'm not as strict with that.

Back