• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many generations of PKMN games do you think there will be?

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
As long as the series keeps making money, and the games do not dip to a bad quality, then there will be continuous games.

Even then, remakes will make a pretty penny for little work.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
As long as the series keeps making money, and the games do not dip to a bad quality, then there will be continuous games.

Even then, remakes will make a pretty penny for little work.

It makes sense that they'll continue to make Pokemon games as long as it's making a profit, however I can't just see them making continuous generation after generation. I'm sure they'll stop at one point, then probably release remakes/sequels of the past games, with new items, Pokemon formes, new ways to battle, etc.

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
I think there won't be less than 10. Maybe (I hope) they will continue to update the older games, like HG/SS

kha111

Upcoming Video Game Master
Years
Until they decide to stop making the ****** pokemon they do. I mean im not trolling, its that Gamefreak needs to listen to the fan base more. If not, the franchise will sink. Start of the 5th gen, i think the devs were smoking crack with the types of pokemon they came up with. Some 5th gen pokes were badass, like Hydregion. But, gamefreak need to do something simple and make future games like the first three gen ones.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Probably around Generation 10 (or maybe earlier!). Afterwards, they would just make remakes of some games or possibly make some new spin-offs.

Terff

the unimportant
Years
When they can stop milking money from the games or once there are so many pokemon and their graphics are too high definition that they can no longer add any actual content haha xD

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
I'm guessing they'll get to about 10th gen. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing what other remakes they might come out with! A remake of Ruby/Sapphire would be awesome with these new graphics.

Years
Hopefully they don't stop soon cause i think there is a lot more they could do, but really, along as theres a few more gens at least and an R/S/E remake someday then i'll be happy :)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
When their profit begin to decrease is when I believe they'll stop producing new generations. I think around generation 8-9 they might experience a decline in sales and interest and thus will stop production.

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
Dunno, maybe our grandchildren will be playing Pokemon for all we know.

I say, as long as GF makes more money we will have more Pokemon.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Maybe until we reach 999 Pokemon, so I'll guess either 9 or 10 generations. I was kinda surprised about the number of Pokemon introduced this year.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Depends on how much money is being made from the games. X and Y were best sellers, why shouldn't they make Gen 7? If Gen 7 flops, they probably won't make Gen 8. I can see them running out of ideas no matter how profitable it is, so assuming they make a lot of money, maybe we'll get gen 10.

Bryony

Oh my, oh my?
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 10, 2014
Until they stop making money, probably.. Could go on for decades for all we know.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
They are more interested in $$$ and €€€ than the fan-base, really. Could be a googolplex of generations. (I'm exaggerating here, I know, but there will probably be at least 15).

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
If I was the boss, I'd never stop production.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Whenever they stop making a profit with the franchise. They won't just stop the series just because they feel like it.

Years
While I agree that profits will be the main factor in how long they keep going, I don't care for these answers as they don't really answer the question. How long do you think it will take, then, for the profits to taper off?

I'm guessing that Gen 9 or 10 will be the last.

Whenever it ends, I'll still feel like a latecomer because I wasn't playing during Gen 1.

Back