• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokémon Names (So Far)

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Like most people I'm not really gone on the Talonflame thing, it just ruins the Awesome design! But for what I don't like there's nicknames so I'm not really too fussed... Heck, I can already see myself calling Litleo Squall or Leon!

Love love LOVE Vivillon, even though I'm going to pronounce it wrong all the time out of choice!

Helioptile, I'm not really a fan of either. I don't know why, it just really bothers me. Either way I don't think he'll be on my team so it shouldn't have to worry too much about it!

With reference to the GenV names, sure Nintendo/GF dubbers had a few Brainfarts creating the names, but imho there's still a pretty awesome few names there. Haxorus, Heidreigon, Braviary, Unfeazant, and Samurott to name some.

Years
They're pretty good with a few exceptions. Litleo is a little clunky. Doesn't flow at all. Talonflame just reeks of a kind of laziness we haven't seen since Gen I. I mean, I know it might seem a little redundant to name it Flarrow, or Fiarrow, or something when we already have Spearow, Fearow, and Swellow, but I think that would have made it more charming and Pokemon-esque, kind of like how we got Woobat after Zubat.

Spewpa is a darling name and so is Vivillon. More names like this, please.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/vivillon
Just click the
qV6bgxJ.png
in each side and you can hear two ways of pronouncing it. I'm going to pronounce it with a french accent and that's actually how I think it's meant to be pronounced.
This is pretty interesting. If all the names are supposed to be pronounced with a French accent, it drastically changes the way names are pronounced.
(For example Helioptile sounds A LOT different than I originally pronounced it)

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Litleo doesn't really flow well, but I like how the name can be interpreted in two ways at the same time. "Lit" can mean little or lit (as a lit flame/candle).

I already Litleo's name, but this makes it so much better! Now that I've realized that, I think I'll pronounce it lit-leo rather than little-o.

This is pretty interesting. If all the names are supposed to be pronounced with a French accent, it drastically changes the way names are pronounced.
(For example Helioptile sounds A LOT different than I originally pronounced it)

That's an interesting thought. There are the obvious English names (Talonflame, Scatterbug etc) and there are the obvious names based on French words that are supposed to be pronounced in French (Vivillion, Flabébé). For others, I guess we'll wait and see, or just pronounce it however we want it. I'm sure I already do not pronounce some names the way they're supposed too, especially since I'm not a native English speaker.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
I already love all of the new Pokemon. I'll admit, some of them had to grow on me, like Chespin and Froakie. But I love all of them now. Talonflame looks awesome, Pancham is adorable, and Litleo and Flabébé I'm absolutely in love with. I didn't get the types I wanted but I love these Pokemon so far!

Nakala Pri

I agree with you! I think the names are drifting back into the start of Pokemon. I am not sure I like the designs, though. A little... kiddy? I mean, sure, all Pokemon games appeal to kids but... this is going a little too... kiddy.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
Talonflame = tail on flame. :-P its a fire type so it sounds plausible this way..
its supposed to be talon like the talons of a bird. i liked that one guys insight that Talonflame might be a placeholder name and that its actually Flarrow, that sounds freaking sick. as far as the other ones go i think theyre fine, i just hope they dont get lazy with the rest.

Years
Like most people I'm not really gone on the Talonflame thing, it just ruins the Awesome design! But for what I don't like there's nicknames so I'm not really too fussed... Heck, I can already see myself calling Litleo Squall or Leon!

Love love LOVE Vivillon, even though I'm going to pronounce it wrong all the time out of choice!

Helioptile, I'm not really a fan of either. I don't know why, it just really bothers me. Either way I don't think he'll be on my team so it shouldn't have to worry too much about it!

With reference to the GenV names, sure Nintendo/GF dubbers had a few Brainfarts creating the names, but imho there's still a pretty awesome few names there. Haxorus, Heidreigon, Braviary, Unfeazant, and Samurott to name some.

I basically agree with this lady here. I liked the names of most of these new Pokemon, especially Spewpa, Vivillon, Pancham, Skrelp, Clauncher and Noivern. The starters all have good names too (I do love the ring Chespin has, and Froakie's is cute too) and while some Pokemon names are basic hybrids of certain words (Fennekin = Fennec fox + Kindle for example) I do like some of the origins with them.

I did love most of the 5th Gen Pokemon's names, a lot of them were really creative, like Elgyem and Beheeyem being pronounced like "LGM" and "BEM" and the Deino line all having names based on German names for one, two and three, representing how many heads each member of the line had. And most of the Legendaries had pretty cool names as well.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
I love all of the new pokemon name so far. I still have a hard time trying to make the names Talonflame and Froakie grow for me but I still hope that Talonflame is a placeholder for Flarrow. It doesn't mean I dislike the Pokemon tho which I'm not.

I absolutely love Vivillon, Sylveon, Helioptile, Noivern, Cluncher and Skelp tho! Awesome names :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I love all of the new pokemon name so far. I still have a hard time trying to make the names Talonflame and Froakie grow for me but I still hope that Talonflame is a placeholder for Flarrow. It doesn't mean I dislike the Pokemon tho which I'm not.

I absolutely love Vivillon, Sylveon, Helioptile, Noivern, Cluncher and Skelp tho! Awesome names :)

At this point there are no placeholder names. If the name is up on the official site, its its official name.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think that the names so far are pretty good (they should sound a bit mysterious, or catchy) like 'Sylveon' and 'Fennekin'. They seem realistic and creative, and official more than anything. I don't have a problem with Talonflame but it really detracts the 'Pokémonish' effect. It makes it sound like a type of flame, rather than a living creature. But I suppose the name sounds cool enough. But Xerneas and Yveltal are the best names ever created; I love them <3

droomph

weeb
Years
thank god they're taking 10 months to have the concept of a new generation to grow on me.

That way, I can get all the hate out then and enjoy the game for what it is. Because Gen 5 kinda got ruined because I found out about it the day before I got it or something like that.

Although that was probably my fault. but anyways the point is I love all of them!!!!!asdf

Years
Talonflame's Japanese name is listed as Flarrow on Serebii. That looks more like a pokemon name. Maybe Talonflame was a developed placeholder like "Skull Kraken" was for Gyrados.

Hmm, I never knew that actually. Gyarados was always a beast anyways. I always wondered how something so useless (Magikarp) could grow into such a beast, and in Feebas' case how something so ugly could become so beautiful. Hopefully, likewise, Froakie will evolve into something charming.

Well we have confirmation about the other names of the new Pokémon.

Kofukimushi will be known as Scatterbug.
Kofuurai will be Spewpa which we already knew.
Shishiko will be known as Litleo, Little Leo.
Lastly, Furabebe will be called Flabébé.

Again, all pretty simple and easy to remember. My favorite has to be Flabébé though. That's so cute!

Flabébé is actually great! I've never had a problem with the names though, I just kinda accepted them and thought they were mostly creative. Alomomola was ridiculous though.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
No, I don't really think so. The names are strange and they always will be in my opinion. I like of the names though, a lot of them are unique. My favorite is fennekin the water froggy! :)

Back