• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokémon Odyssey Episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waudby

Are you going to make new battle animations or just create the old ones (DP)?

I may create very basic animations for the different types of moves, but to create 400+ animations is a very huge task for anyone.

With that said, the main releases will feature a set battle system with no animations.

Waudby

screenshot%202009.03.03%2015.08.03.0842.png

Okay another update for everyone, I've changed the windows to an edited version of the D/P style. I've also coded in a few more attacks and added in the end of battle stuff. Status effects for the most part are now implemented as well.

I'm still working on getting the effects of abilities etc put in, and then I have to code the stuff for the items.

Do people prefer this style or not?

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2010
No animations... Come on Waudby, you can do better than that.

Waudby

No animations... Come on Waudby, you can do better than that.

Well it depends on if I can get the graphics for the animations or not. The system would be easy enough to create, but what worries me is the 467 different animation sets that would be needed :/

With that said, I may just create an animation for each type of move, i.e fire, water, ice etc and use that as animations until the main system is done.

On a side note, does anyone happen to have a list of Pokémon Abilites which activated when attacked by a contact move?

Last edited:

Waudby

A list of all abilities and I'm sure contact hits are in there; http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Abilities

Animations, do you have to create them all yourself ? or would you be able to obtain them yourself and set them in the game ? (No idea about this myself)

Never mind I have found a place where I can find what I need, I needed the Generation 4 abilities as well.

As for animations, they will be a set of images for each animation which are played through on screen however I'd have to assemble them all myself if I managed to find a full set of images.

Okay another small progress update, I've now implemented Protect, Attract, Safeguard and moves like sing. Progress is really going smoothly on this battle system, I think i'll probably need to clean it up some once it's done, but for the most part I'm happy with how it's turning out.

I'm still to begin working on the A.I for the enemy, and this is where progress will slow as I've never done A.I before properly.

@Rhuan if you read this: for a decent A.I system, would it be as simple as comparing the Player's type of Pokémon against the types of each of the enemy pokémon's moves to check for effectiveness etc and selecting a move based on that? I'd also check to see if any of the enemy's moves are healing moves incase the Pokémon's HP is below a certain percentage.

Would it be a good way to start off? I'm kinda thinking out loud here lol.

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2010
That sounds like a good way to start an AI, though it may lead to some repetitive tactics, (using the most effective move repeatedly) probably optimal though.

Waudby

I've been working on getting the battle system up to par, and so far it's coming along well. I have a numerous amount of attacks coded so far.

Just thought I'd post this video to show the nice little intro I made for a wild Pokémon battle, it's still a WIP but I think it looks pretty good.

Comments people?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
The circle your Pokemon's standing has been cut when it's moving...
And the Pokeball animation is not very good, too...
Well, GL!

Waudby

The pokeball animation isnt the best in the video because I had to change the kind of drivers the game used to make that video.

It is better in game. As for the base, i'm gonna fix it, as I said, it's a WIP.

Waudby

• The Pokemon option in the menu is now almost full coded, with just the summary screen left to do,
switching is already finished.
• Experience system has now been added, includes support for Exp.Share and Lucky Egg.
• Plus, many other small updates.

Waudby

The battle system is still under way with about 200 attacks being fully usable now.

Also in case people haven't read in other posts i've made on the forum, a nice feature is being implemented into the game - Houndour Race Track.

It will be a place to make bets on the entrants and and make a nice tidy profit. It will also feature as the main aspect for one of the episodes which will be based around a criminal gang doing dodgy dealings.

Waudby

There will be to sides to the Race Track, you can either enter your own Houndour or Houndoom (it's a two tier thing), or you can bet on the prexisting ones.

If you enter your own, you will be able to win prizes which may vary between a few things. However if you place a bet you will only win money back.

Now I also mentioned Houndoom above, think of it as a child and adult race. The Houndour race is just the standard race however the Houndoom races are slightly harder and require your Houndoom's to be high level and very fast - so yes, your stats will effect the outcome.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
So our Houndour/Houndoom is required a high SPEED stat? That's a preatty neat idea. I hope implementing it will not cause you many trouble.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Good work on the battle system! It's looking pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back