• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Togepi, Latias and Latios?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Something I've only just realised is that the patterns on Togepi/Togetic match the triangular symbol that appears on the front of Latias and Latios. Ever wondered if there's some sort of connection between them?

Natsuki

.bluefang.
Years
Whoa, I've never realized that before. o_o Hmm, I don't really have a clear explanation for why they have such similar markings, but maybe it could have something to do with that mysterious place that worshiped Togepi in the anime (forgot what it was called, but it was the episode where Misty returned the first time [dunno if it's happened before XD])? Togepi did seem to have some strange powers in that episode, they could be linked with the powers that Latios and Latias already possess.

~Kelsey

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I'm guessing it's just a a freak twist. There doesn't seem to be a logical connection between the two, considering Togepi isn't remotely legendary.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
If you've watched the anime, Togepi often saves the parties butt several times with it's Metronome, pulling out Teleports and all sorts. It does beg the question to see if there is some connection there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Togepi doing that is nothing more than a deus ex machina, a well-timed saved that the writers threw in. (You know, kind of like the trainer-of-the-day suddenly gaining confidence to defeat Team Rocket. Well-timed? I think so...)

Though, the last movie Togepi appeared in was the one with the Lati@s. o.o

Or it could be like the same design that Bayleef and Skarmory have for the head leaf and the tail, respectively. Similar designs with the triangles? Or something deeper going on...?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
I know it's a deus ex machina, but the idea still stands, Togepi can pull something out when needed. Never thought about the Bayleef/Skarmory connection, could be worth looking into.

Maybe there is something deeper. Don't forget, Togepi evolves into a flying type, and the Lati@s can both fly (well, Levitate, but you get my point).

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
The fact still remains that they are ENTIRELY different Pokemon. Yeah, Togepi has saved the butt of the Heroes a few times, but so have many other things. That, and mostly, Togepi's saves seem to be total accidents, and are really nothing outside of what ANY Togepi could do.

There's also that. There are MANY Togepi. Only one Latias, only one Latios.

And, lots of Pokemon evolve from one thing into a flying type. Dragonair into Dragonite. Trapinch into Flygon.

I just don't think there is a connection at all. The patterns are just simalar. It happens with a few other Pokemon. Just a freak twist in the anime.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Togetic does sorta look like Latias! XD

...Oo....but I don't think have any real connections between them, probably nothing to look to deeply into.

Still, its an interesting idea.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
I have noticed that too. The shape of Togetic's head is also similar to Latias' and Latios'.
176.png
380.png
381.png
. And as someone mentioned above (I'm too lazy to check out who it was X___X), Togepi is worshipped by certain people in the anime. And the powers Togepi used in the second part of that episode were clearly psychic powers of some sort. I don't find it hard at all to belive that Togepi and Togetic might have some kind of connection with Latios and Latias.
There's also that. There are MANY Togepi. Only one Latias, only one Latios.
I suggest you take a look at the Pokédex entries for Latias and Latios.

For example, Latias' Emerald entry says: ''They make a small herd of only several members. They rarely make contact with other people or Pokémon. They dissappear if they sense enemies.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Something else I noticed that adds credence to some connection is the fact that, in any of the games, you never see a wild Togepi anywhere. (In GSC you get Togepi as an egg, in Pokemon Colosseum you catch one as a Shadow Pokemon, in XD you are given one to purify). Makes you wonder where Togepi exist and where they come from.

Broleta

[..1..]
Years
Toothache said:
Something else I noticed that adds credence to some connection is the fact that, in any of the games, you never see a wild Togepi anywhere. (In GSC you get Togepi as an egg, in Pokemon Colosseum you catch one as a Shadow Pokemon, in XD you are given one to purify). Makes you wonder where Togepi exist and where they come from.
I think they come from that mirage kingdom place in the anime, but you can take anything the anime says with a pinch of salt.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
just a wild guess, but perhaps Latias and Latios originated from Mirage Island? Like Togepi/Togetic did?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
I haven't seen the anime origin of Togepi so I can't comment on it. All I know is, the more I think about it, the more of a connection there seems to be.

EDIT: I thought you found Wynaut on Mirage Island, or is that just in the games? Hey, you do find a Wynaut Egg in RSE so maybe there's a connection there too??

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
just a wild guess, but perhaps Latias and Latios originated from Mirage Island? Like Togepi/Togetic did?
You mean the Mirage Kingdom from the anime, right? Because Togepi and Togetic are from the Mirage Kingdom (according to the anime, that is), not Mirage Island.

Years
Maybe they're all in the same family? Like in the real world for example there are all different types of deer, maybe it's something like that? It would explain the similaritys in Togetic and latios/latias's heads and the spots.

Back