• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

CRaTeR

Emperor of Aragon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 21, 2015
First, I just want to say that this tool is fantastic. It's awesome being able to edit all of this in one tool, and the Dex Expander is brilliant.

What I wanted to ask was if it's possible to auto-highlight the first offset in the list when replacing sprites. I've been replacing the entire dex with those DS style sprites and it would be a lot more convenient if I could just spam enter instead of throwing some clicks in there as well.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
First, I just want to say that this tool is fantastic. It's awesome being able to edit all of this in one tool, and the Dex Expander is brilliant.

What I wanted to ask was if it's possible to auto-highlight the first offset in the list when replacing sprites. I've been replacing the entire dex with those DS style sprites and it would be a lot more convenient if I could just spam enter instead of throwing some clicks in there as well.

Spamming enter is how you break things, lol. I have plans to add bulk inserting of sprites eventually. Just have to work out the format.

CRaTeR

Emperor of Aragon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 21, 2015
Spamming enter is how you break things, lol. I have plans to add bulk inserting of sprites eventually. Just have to work out the format.
Ah, that's good to hear. Keep up the good work, this tool is fantastic.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 24, 2019
Hey karatekid,

First of all, thanks for creating this wonderful tool! I've played around with it a bit and I love its ease of use, cheers!

Now, being new to this kind of stuff I do have a question. I'm sorry if this seems obvious or belongs in a different thread, I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I want to change my pokedex around, basically adding a few pokes from GenIV and V, by replacing pokemon I don't intend to use in my mod. Now, my main question concern overwriting data.

When I want to change for example the sprites and the pokedex entry I get prompted to repoint the data. What I want to know, the choices I receive in the list, are they the original data to be overwritten?
I want to know I can safely select the first item in the list every time, and not have to worry about finding free space when all I want to do is overwrite the original poke's data anyway.

Thanks for any answers!

karatekid552

Years
Hey karatekid,

First of all, thanks for creating this wonderful tool! I've played around with it a bit and I love its ease of use, cheers!

Now, being new to this kind of stuff I do have a question. I'm sorry if this seems obvious or belongs in a different thread, I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I want to change my pokedex around, basically adding a few pokes from GenIV and V, by replacing pokemon I don't intend to use in my mod. Now, my main question concern overwriting data.

When I want to change for example the sprites and the pokedex entry I get prompted to repoint the data. What I want to know, the choices I receive in the list, are they the original data to be overwritten?
I want to know I can safely select the first item in the list every time, and not have to worry about finding free space when all I want to do is overwrite the original poke's data anyway.

Thanks for any answers!

The prompt provides you with 5 offsets in the rom that have a little bit more than enough free space. These are searched for every single time and therefore are always safe.

(Just wondering, you can expand Pokemon on FR, so why aren't you? I'm going to guess you are hacking Emerald in that case.:P)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 24, 2019
The prompt provides you with 5 offsets in the rom that have a little bit more than enough free space. These are searched for every single time and therefore are always safe.

(Just wondering, you can expand Pokemon on FR, so why aren't you? I'm going to guess you are hacking Emerald in that case.:P)

Great, so no reason to worry then, thanks!

Actually, I am hacking FR. I just want to condense the pokedex to around 210. I could expand it, but I feel like it will look cluttered in-game, when more than half of the pokes aren't even available.

karatekid552

Years
Great, so no reason to worry then, thanks!

Actually, I am hacking FR. I just want to condense the pokedex to around 210. I could expand it, but I feel like it will look cluttered in-game, when more than half of the pokes aren't even available.

Ahh, if you are cutting down the dex, then yes, replace pokemon, haha.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Oh and I'll confirm for you the tool does work with Windows 8 I've used it on there since it first came out

karatekid552

Years
Oh and I'll confirm for you the tool does work with Windows 8 I've used it on there since it first came out

Thank you, that narrows down the possibilities. gogojjtech said that when he upgraded from 1.0.4 to 1.1.0, the exe started deleting itself when you clicked on it. I went through TeamViewer and confirmed that this happens and that 1.0.4 still works. I have no idea what is happening though, lol, since we ran the most current dev build from source just fine too.

Craver

I'm From WAH!
Years
I have various ideas:

1º Deleting those buttons and replacing for the "CLEAR" button.

EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:

¿Why? It's Easy. In this case, Bulbasaur learns "GROWL/GRUÑIDO" at level 3. If i want that it learns GROWL at level 8, this attack be self positioned between Drain Leech (level 7) and Vine Whip (level 9), and no positioning manually.

2º Pokedex's face direction changer (like YAPE)

EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:

Like the 4º and next generation, the Pokemon looks at the left's pokedex. Just a little detail.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
If you don't mind me asking but how would I go about testing the expanded pokemon out without having to use MEH? cause it might be a bit dangerous for me to use with it still being in Alpha.

Last edited by a moderator:

karatekid552

Years
I have various ideas:

1º Deleting those buttons and replacing for the "CLEAR" button.

EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:

¿Why? It's Easy. In this case, Bulbasaur learns "GROWL/GRUÑIDO" at level 3. If i want that it learns GROWL at level 8, this attack be self positioned between Drain Leech (level 7) and Vine Whip (level 9), and no positioning manually.

2º Pokedex's face direction changer (like YAPE)

EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:

Like the 4º and next generation, the Pokemon looks at the left's pokedex. Just a little detail.

I used manual positioning so you have control. From what i remember, the order of the moves does not matter. It cycles through the whole list each time. I allow you to move up and down move so that you can control the order in which moves are learned at the same level, which can be pretty important.

The pokedex thing is weird. I was looking at it, and it appears to be one bit that controls it, but the bit is not in Pokedex data..... So yeah, I'll have to do some creative coding to handle that one in the Pokedex tab.

If you don't mind me asking but how would I go about testing the expanded pokemon out without having to use MEH? cause it might be a bit dangerous for me to use with it still being in Alpha.

Well, you use a hex editor until MEH is done.:p

xGal

Mhm
Years
Karatekid, I never thought I would say this, but I LOVE you for making that tool (I don't joke this time xD). When I saw doesnt's dex enteries extention tutorial, I thought I would have to break my mind to do all the byte changes there, but thanks to you, I did it with few clicks!

Don't quit making tools!

From your old pal Gal (xd)

karatekid552

Years
Karatekid, I never thought I would say this, but I LOVE you for making that tool (I don't joke this time xD). When I saw doesnt's dex enteries extention tutorial, I thought I would have to break my mind to do all the byte changes there, but thanks to you, I did it with few clicks!

Don't quit making tools!

From your old pal Gal (xd)

Haha, thanks man. To go along with this, I have been progressing a little bit despite being busy. Thanks to a thoughtful python developer, who goes by CChen, I was able to integrate a hex editor rather easily. It still needs some tweaks for tbl support and straight text editing, but everything else works great.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Just wondering, what future features are going to be in this besides the pokemon editor and the hex editor? It'd be nice to have an item editor like PGE, although I'm satisfied with this tool regardless.

karatekid552

Years
Just wondering, what future features are going to be in this besides the pokemon editor and the hex editor? It'd be nice to have an item editor like PGE, although I'm satisfied with this tool regardless.

I guess I should publicly release my list of things I have planned at the moment:

-Pokedex slot editor
-A move editor
-An item editor
-A general sprite/graphics editor
-Battle BG Editor (since those are awkward....)
-Pure awesomeness

Please note that I will try to give each tab a unique feature that you can't get anywhere else.:P

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
My first impression is that this is not meant for beginners. Is that correct? I've developed basic proficiencies with YAPE and AdvanceMap, but that's about it. I found MrDollSteak's improved ROM base, which led me to this. Because YAPE won't work. I read through your documentation, but I don't understand it. I was hoping I could just open up G3HS and explore by trial and error. But I'm not even getting that far. (My computer skills are pretty remedial. But my attempts at hacking seem to help a little bit). Still, I'm sorry to be so needy.

My computer can't figure out how to open up .kateproject, and everything else appears to be Python or Text files, likely supporting the main program. Am I overlooking something really basic? I've attached what I see in the folder I downloaded. Nothing that looks to me like the main G3HS program.

Sorry for asking such a basic question. I've been trying for a while to figure it out on my own. To no avail. One suggestion - I've seen other tools and guides have a "What You Need" section or "Getting Started." It might help the beginners more. Alternatively, this tool is too advanced, and beginners should avoid.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
My first impression is that this is not meant for beginners. Is that correct? I've developed basic proficiencies with YAPE and AdvanceMap, but that's about it. I found MrDollSteak's improved ROM base, which led me to this. Because YAPE won't work. I read through your documentation, but I don't understand it. I was hoping I could just open up G3HS and explore by trial and error. But I'm not even getting that far. (My computer skills are pretty remedial. But my attempts at hacking seem to help a little bit). Still, I'm sorry to be so needy.

My computer can't figure out how to open up .kateproject, and everything else appears to be Python or Text files, likely supporting the main program. Am I overlooking something really basic? I've attached what I see in the folder I downloaded. Nothing that looks to me like the main G3HS program.

Sorry for asking such a basic question. I've been trying for a while to figure it out on my own. To no avail. One suggestion - I've seen other tools and guides have a "What You Need" section or "Getting Started." It might help the beginners more. Alternatively, this tool is too advanced, and beginners should avoid.

What?

This program is designed for absolute beginners, if anything it's more user friendly than PGE and YAPE, because of the obvious labels. You don't need to open up the text files or .kateprojects or anything of the sort, just the .exe that comes in the zip.

xGal

Mhm
Years
"pure awesomeness" is a great feature indeed. I was also wondering about something ... I use mrdollsteak attack and decap rombase. In the .zip file of the rombase, mrdollsteak included roms.ini (for PGE). In your PokeRoms.ini changed the attack offsets, abilities offset and all the shet, but I couldn't find the type names offset (in your PokeRoms.ini), so everything but the type names is ... Did you include the type names in your PokeRoms.ini or it's just me?

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
What?

This program is designed for absolute beginners, if anything it's more user friendly than PGE and YAPE, because of the obvious labels. You don't need to open up the text files or .kateprojects or anything of the sort, just the .exe that comes in the zip.

I must just be doing something wrong. I keep looking for a .exe file and finding nothing. I'm going to redownload and look again. Maybe I screwed something up while half asleep.

EDIT: I figured out what I was doing wrong. the download under Source Code (.zip) does not contain the .exe file. I went through the Windows link and got it just fine.

Last edited:
Back