• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fire Spin VS Flamethrower

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
I'm just curious to know, which explains this thread.. :P

In the shows, I've seen a almost overdose of Flamethrowers whenever there's a battle involving a fire type..

what about Fire Spin? In one episode, I remembered Vulpix unleashing a really strong fire spin..

so which one do you guys think is better?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Fire spin goes for too long and is too weak..My vote goes to Flamethrower x3

Natsuki

.bluefang.
Years
In the case of the anime, for the times I've seen it used, Fire Spin always looked a lot more devastating than Flamethrower. Yet in the games, Flamethrower is a more powerful and effective move since it deals out more damage with just one hit. Fire Spin does very little damage, but over a period of up to five (?) turns.

I personally like the look of Fire Spin more than Flamethrower. But when it comes to sheer power, Flamethrower would get my vote. So I'm kinda stuck between the two. X3

~Kelsey

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2006
I'll say Flamethrower. Fire Spin isn't that storng, I don'y think.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
Years
You should have made this a poll.

For me it has to be flamethrower as it is more effective in battling purposes as well as looking great in th t.v shows.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, in the anime, Fire Spin seemed more devastating, but in the games, Flamethrower is more powerful in the games, while Fire Spin does a little damage after each turn for 5 turns. So I have to say Flamethrower, sweeties.

But hey, Fire Spin maybe be weak in the games now, but in the color generation, it was an annoying life saver! XD I took down a level 100 Poliwrath just using Fire Spin in Pokémon Yellow. XD!

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
Years
IN the anime Fire Spin is used a powerful move. I think now the pokemon that is sporting Fire Spin is May's Combustkin. It being used as super powerful move. Flamethrower is just a regular fire move that is just mid level attack.

Personity I go with the games and and go with Flamethrower. It is the best fire attack to use in a battle. It is reliable as in it rarely misses and is powerful. No negative side effects like Overheat and it useage is high. Only Heat Wave can come close to its power but I perfer Flamethrower on my Charizard any other day of the week.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
It was nice reading all the interesting posts..
anyways, I think that flamethower is useful only when you fight with an opponent that is either about the same level as you, or when an opponent is of a lower level..

But when you battle with a pokemon that is of a much higher level, I think the long lasting effects of Fire Spin will help a lot..

joyce : the fluffy pirate~

→ s m i l e .
Years
Like the most of you guys said , Fire Spin is far more stronger in the anime then when you use it in one of the games.. Unless you have a big fat high-level opponent or that you want to annoy your friend when your having a linking battle , then I'd pick Flamethrower..

Fear the force of the barbeque flame! xD

Last edited:

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2013
In the anime and manga Fire Spin has more of a damage impact which could be devastating. But in the games Fire Spin has of a lesser power. Which it does of a Sandstorm based damage for a few turns. If Fire Spin was the way it was in the Kanto generation games,when it prevented Pokemon from attacking it would have had ore of a edge. Epically when it was combining with Toxic to end battles. But now in the modern games, Flamethrower wins for which is better overall.

Soari

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 26, 2015
I prefer to Flamethrower because flamethrower is more powerful than Fire spin.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
yeah, unfortunately, moves used in the anime aren't as strong as they deem to be in the game.

considering the changes to the games that D/P has made thus far, like the new physical/special system, maybe GameFreak will implement a function in the following games that would make certain forms of pokemon better at using certain moves. for instance, the power of fire spin would be increased whenever a vulpix uses it, but a ninetails would be more powerful using flamethrower. that would make the game even MORE realistic.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
Flamethrower of course. Both have advantages; use Thrower for direct attacking, Spin for trapping so that Toxic, Leech Seed etc can be more effective. I remember having one trapping Houndoom with Toxic and Spin, and another all out offensive one with Thrower and Crunch.

Guest123_x1

While both moves appear equally damaging in the anime, in the games, Fire Spin isn't much good execpt to trap (especially in the 1st Generation) slower opponents temporarily (for up to 5 turns).

Last edited:

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
Years
Flamethrower is much better. Fire Spin is bland in the game, and it makes no sense why Charizard had it as it's final move.

Drifblim

Banned
Years
It depends on the situation. If you've got Latias or Raikou on the hand, Fire Spin is your best bet. Then again, the latter can just use Roar and you're on the road again.

In battle, Fire Spin is good if you have an opponent who has a switching fetish, but in terms of sheer power you'll want Flamethrower. Good thing it's a TM, too (as of Ruby and Sapphire).

Back