• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I guess THIS is why we Albertans are always called the rednecks of Canada or something... feels like some good intention going horribly wrong and forgetting all about practicality and real life difficulties.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Every time that I mention that I'm Canadian here in the states, there are two things that come up: 1) Ugh, Canada spawned Justin Beiber, how do you live there? and 2) How is it possible to live there when there's always three feet of snow on the ground, even in the summer? XD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Every time that I mention that I'm Canadian here in the states, there are two things that come up: 1) Ugh, Canada spawned Justin Beiber, how do you live there? and 2) How is it possible to live there when there's always three feet of snow on the ground, even in the summer? XD
I think Bieber is more their problem now

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
As anyone seen the picture with Justin Bieber with Stephen Harper?

He meets the most important person in Canada and yet, he dresses up worse than a farmer. Way to set the canadian image Bieber -.-

Years
I've done similar things like this and people are shocked every time I show them, lol. People here are so oblivious to various different cultures its kinda funny.
Having talked with a couple of Americans before, it's always interesting to hear what they actually know and think about Canada. Kind of on that point, my friend showed me this video, and while I'm sure not everybody is like that, it's funny to know how clueless some Americans actually are (Rick Mercer from CBC also did a one-hour special a few years ago called "Talking to Americans," which is good for some laughs if you get the chance to watch it).

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
It's always funny to see how Americans think they know so much about Canada, when most of the stuffs they know about Canada are false xD

Anyways, since Christmas is coming to a close, does the scenery look like it's Christmas time? I remember 4 years ago, snow didn't fall until New Year's. We had a green Christmas at that time :(

So here's how Montreal looks like right now :)

Spoiler:

Years
Finally got some snow here this morning/afternoon, after about a month of just 2-5 degrees and rain. Granted, I wish it would have waited until tomorrow since I don't have to go to work, but I'll take it over the rain and wind any day.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Yellow-ish. And it would have Prince William's face on it. (Since he's the next in line for the throne :P)

I would also give it a 20$.

So it would basically replace the 20$ of his mother.

Years
Yellow-ish. And it would have Prince William's face on it. (Since he's the next in line for the throne :P)

I would also give it a 20$.

So it would basically replace the 20$ of his mother.
Close, but Prince Charles is next in line (Queen Elizabeth is William's grandmother, not mom). It'll be weird to see his face on all of the coins when the time finally comes instead of the Queen- who's been on them for the last 60 years.

If I could design one piece of currency, I'd choose a specialty 50 cent coin. On the front would be something related to Manitoba (maybe a buffalo or something), with Louis Riel's face on the back. Personally I think it would be cool to have it, as I would be his fourth or fifth cousin if he were alive today.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Oh oops sorry grandmother lmao. Didn't realize I typed mother instead xD

I always thought Prince William was the heir to the throne :O

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Pierre Elliot Trudeau was simply awesome as a Prime Minister, had such a charisma to the people of Canada too. No one can deny it :)

Also sometimes during the summer when family relatives come and visit Montreal, we would go to the Mont. Royal, for some sightseeing. And while we're there we pass the house of where Pierre Trudeau used to live in :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm a bit mixed on Prime Minister Trudeau. I think he was terrific Canadian with a lasting impact on the nation. Extremely influential and central to where we are today as Canadians. He successfully improved Canada's standing in the world, both transformed and defined Canada's values, and established the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the constitution -for which all Canadians should be proud and thankful.

But he also tanked the economy and left a massive debt. And while not the blame of the recession in the early '80s (that was global), I wouldn't say the country weathered it well under him either. And then to account for the inflation caused, the Bank of Canada had to raise interest rates (several times) which then compounded the debt under Mulroney (not helpful when trying to combat another global recession) and Chrétien's beginning. Didn't really come out of all of it until Chrétien and Martin took over in the '90s.

Two lasting legacies; one good and one not-so-good. I do appreciate what he did socially long-term for the country though. But, I think that's only one side of the coin.

---

That aside, on the currency topic above. I'm so not looking forward to having Prince Charles' mug on our coins lol

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
It would definetely be a change for us Canadians seeing a different face rather than Queen Elizabeth's on our coins lmao.

I wonder, will they keep Queen Elizabeth's face on the 20$ bill or will they change that one too? Because the other bills got faces of people who are already deceased.

Back