• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Tile-Map Editor Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hello everyone. So this thread was made because I'm currently developing a Tile-Map Editor, don't worry, it's not like the current ones.

So, I pretty much just need to all to post suggestions for it. Currently I've included a few things which I will mention in a minute. Anyway, just discuss what you think the "ultimate" tile-map editor should include. ^^

Also, if you want to be a beta tester, post in here.

Current Features. (Strike-out means it's done.)
Code:
4bbp/8bbp support.
[S]Palette Editor Mode. (Like Advance Maps movement permission editor.)[/S]
"Fill" ability. (Like MS Paints, Paint Bucket.)
[S]Flipped Tiles.[/S]
Ability to save a Tile-Map Image.
Change Tile-Sets without clearing the Tile-Map.
Ability to re-size Tile-Maps.
Bigger Block. (Like A-Maps Grosser Block.)
Tile-Set Editor. (Like Paint)
Tile-Set Indexer.
Tile-Set Palette Editor.

So, as you can see I have some things to implement... But, still post what else you can think of. Use this form.

Code:
[B]Idea: [/B]Palette Editor Mode
[B]Explanation: [/B]Like Advance Maps movement permission editor. It lets you change the palette of separate tiles.
[B]Rating (1 being most needed, 10 being least needed): [/B]6

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Idea
Block insertion

Explanation
AdvanceMap has a nifty function, in German it's Grosser Block, what means Bigger block. It's quite self-explanatory. You should be able to select multiple tiles to use as a "stamp", just like in AM. I know it's hard to implement, don't worry :P

One more thing: Wanna beat PTC? Insert it :P You know I am not going to use it just cause of that.

Rating

As the actual feature is quite appreciated and PTC can not load tilemaps created in other programs (for example D-Trogh's NTME based on your old Hurricane can do this)... I would surely give it at least 4 out of 10.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Idea: Tile animation editor.
Explanation: What it does is that it edits the tile animation (like the grass, doors, and other animations).
Rating: What I would give it for that? I think I might give it a 6/10 for that!

Larsie13

Explanation: What it does is that it edits the tile animation (like the grass, doors, and other animations).
How can a tilemap have animations? You must be confused with A-Map tilesets. That's a completely different thing...
Anyway, I'd like to be a beta tester ^^

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
Item: Compressed Graphic Editor
Explanation: possibility to edit compressed graphics Who not apear in Unlz like doors(on berf general animations)
rat:2

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
Idea: TileSet Editor
Explanation: Besides editing the tilemap, there should be another window that helps you edit the Tileset/create tileset. It should have functions that basic graphic editors have.
Rating:5 - fair

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
Idea: Indexing and pallette editing function
Explanation: Indexes the tileset if it isn't already. It sets invisible color automatically, with a palette editing function on the side, to fix errors.
Rating:7/10 because it's hard to make, and I can live without it, but it would make this the ultimate Tilemap editor

Years
Idea: Import/Export Option
Explanation: To be able to import/export a tile(s), like a copy/paste sorta thing.
Rating 4

Heres why I would like this:
I was thinking of Making a Fall Tileset,with new leaves/trees etc.(It's fall in the U.S.)
but I can't insert tiles properly... The import/export option would do that for me.

Also, I'll beta test if you need testers.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Explanation: To be able to import/export a tile(s), like a copy/paste sorta thing.
Rating 4

I was thinking of Making a Fall Tileset,with new leaves/trees etc.(It's fall in the U.S.)
but I can't insert tiles properly... The import/export option would do that for me.

Dude, it's a TileMAP editor...

Suggestion: Palette Editing function
Description: Just a little tab/little section to the side, where we can edit the palettes right there. As I know how you choose the palette on it, this would work great in conjunction.
Rating: 6(as it would be hard, but awesome, and i can live without it, it would just make life easier;))

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Idea: Ability to view at least the edges of the connecting maps.
Explanation: For example, say you're on the Pewter City Map. You'd be able to see a small portion of Route 2 below, and Route 3 to the right. It would make matching tiles (like where trees meet up, or where a mountain wall turns) from connected maps much easier.
Rating: Probably only an 8 or 9. I'm not sure such a thing would be even do-able.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Explanation: For example, say you're on the Pewter City Map. You'd be able to see a small portion of Route 2 below, and Route 3 to the right. It would make matching tiles (like where trees meet up, or where a mountain wall turns) from connected maps much easier.
Rating: Probably only an 8 or 9. I'm not sure such a thing would be even do-able.
Guys, this is a TILEMAP editor, not a tileset editor, or a mapping tool. Please read the description next time.

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Sorry, there must be some confusion on my part...isn't a "Tilemap" a map made of tiles?
And wouldn't a "Tileset" be the set of tiles used to create said map?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Idea: Indexing and pallette editing function
Explanation: Indexes the tileset if it isn't already. It sets invisible color automatically, with a palette editing function on the side, to fix errors.
Rating:7/10 because it's hard to make, and I can live without it, but it would make this the ultimate Tilemap editor
This would be easy, as long as the tile-sets don't contain more than 16 colors. I will add to the list.
Idea: TileSet Editor
Explanation: Besides editing the tilemap, there should be another window that helps you edit the Tileset/create tileset. It should have functions that basic graphic editors have.
Rating:5 - fair
A good idea, I'll add this to the list too. :)
Idea
Block insertion

Explanation
AdvanceMap has a nifty function, in German it's Grosser Block, what means Bigger block. It's quite self-explanatory. You should be able to select multiple tiles to use as a "stamp", just like in AM. I know it's hard to implement, don't worry :P

One more thing: Wanna beat PTC? Insert it :P You know I am not going to use it just cause of that.

Rating

As the actual feature is quite appreciated and PTC can not load tilemaps created in other programs (for example D-Trogh's NTME based on your old Hurricane can do this)... I would surely give it at least 4 out of 10.
Already added. :D
How can a tilemap have animations? You must be confused with A-Map tilesets. That's a completely different thing...
Anyway, I'd like to be a beta tester ^^
You can be a beta tester. :)
Idea: Tile animation editor.
I don't think you understand what a tilemap is. :S
Item: Compressed Graphic Editor
Explanation: possibility to edit compressed graphics Who not apear in Unlz like doors(on berf general animations)
rat:2
This is a tile-map editor, not a tile/map editor. :P
Rating 4

Do you mean import into the ROM, or into the tile-set? :S

And yes, I need testers.
Dude, it's a TileMAP editor...

Suggestion: Palette Editing function
Description: Just a little tab/little section to the side, where we can edit the palettes right there. As I know how you choose the palette on it, this would work great in conjunction.
Rating: 6(as it would be hard, but awesome, and i can live without it, it would just make life easier;))
It wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but it might lag a bit. If I can think of a decent way to do this, then I'll add it.
Not a map editor.
Guys, this is a TILEMAP editor, not a tileset editor, or a mapping tool. Please read the description next time.
Indeed.
Sorry, there must be some confusion on my part...isn't a "Tilemap" a map made of tiles?
And wouldn't a "Tileset" be the set of tiles used to create said map?
A Tile-Map is used to edit the way something in the game is laid out. Like the title screen, the world map, the trainer card, etc...

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
A Tile-Map is used to edit the way something in the game is laid out. Like the title screen, the world map, the trainer card, etc...

Ahh, I see. A map OF the tiles, not a map MADE OF the tiles. I understand now. My mistake, please pardon my ignorance. *bows* ^^';

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
World Map editor
edits the world map

3/10
You are the kind of person that makes me very, very angry. READ WHAT I SAID! This is not a map editor. If you want to edit the world map, you need to use a tile-map editor AND the world map editor in A-Map.

Next person to post anything about map editing is going to flamed.
________

Sebbe, stop spamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back