• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Started hunting shiny galarian ponyta in Sword. Haven't had luck yet but I also haven't hunted a ton yet either so I still have a ways to go. I have managed to catch a few den shinies though!

Spoiler:

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
Get ready for...

The Great Shiny Nickname Contest!!!

It's time for our major contest to celebrate our Club of the Year victory! There were 0 votes for all of the contest ideas ("lol") so I'm tentatively making this one our contest (unless someone comes up with a better idea, haha!)! There are three steps in this contest:

1) Find shinies!
2) Catch shinies!
3) Give your shinies cool nicknames!

Let's see who can come up with the most amazing, stupendous, awe-inspiring, and jaw-dropping names to adorn their sparkling triumphs! :laugh:

So go out and catch as many shinies as you can from February 29th, 2020 through March 31st, 2020, and post your shinies and their nicknames here! Then we'll all vote between April 1st and April 7th, and the person whose shinies received the most votes will be crowned "Champion of Shiny Pokémon, Majesty of Majestic Monikers, Finder of Phenomenal Pseudonyms, and Royal Excellency of the Most Exalted Nomenclatures." You will also receive a $20 gift card to a store of your choice!

I tried to design a contest that rewarded getting more shinies, but not to the extent that it would incentivize nefarious behavior. I think I struck a balance here so that getting more shinies increases your probability of winning (if you have more shinies, your Pokémon will make up a larger percentage of the pool of potential candidates), but getting more shinies doesn't strictly correspond to winning unless you can come up with some killer names for them. It's possible for someone to win this competition with just one shiny in the whole month*, so everyone has a fair shot at competing!!

*But wait, there's more! This is a leap year, and we can celebrate our superb luck in getting to live in a year with an extra day (woot woot!! :boogie: :pink_boogie: :boogie: :pink_boogie:) by having an extra day for the contest!! So go out there and hunt some really cool shinies, and enjoy your extra day in February, too!

For a shiny to be eligible, you'll need to post it - and its nickname! - by midnight HST (which is pretty close to the International Date Line, so that gives you a few extra hours to post if, say, you got a shiny at like 11:55 PM in your time zone and you need time to log on to PC and post and totally not because I just picked the time zone where I live :laugh: ). For the purposes of this contest, you can't change a shiny's name once you've posted it, and each shiny can only have one nickname. Between April 1st and April 7th, everyone will be able to vote on their favorite nickname/shiny combo that was posted during the contest, and voting will close at midnight HST on April 7th. Everyone will get one vote, although I'd be opening to giving everyone three votes if you guys think that's a better idea. Let me know! Maybe it would be a good idea to honor the runners-up, even if there's no grand prize for them...or maybe we could craft less-prestigious titles for the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, "lol!"

The winner will be the shiny hunter who gets the most votes for all of their shinies added together, so the same person getting votes for multiple different shinies won't be hurt from vote-splitting. This should keep intact the incentive to get as many shinies as possible, and to give them all amazing names! :nod:

If you guys think this is a really dumb idea, let me know and we can totally change up the contest to something different. We can modify it to make it better, or we could scrap the idea and go with a totally new contest idea - it's up to you guys! This is just my tentative suggestion, but this is the one that'll go into effect on February 29th (OMG did you guys know we get a leap day this year!?? More time to hunt!! More shinies!! :laugh: ) unless someone comes up with something better, haha!

-------------------------------------------------------------

11111 Swarm encounters (Pearl)
1904 Anorith SRs (Pearl)
4740 Chespin hatched (X)

I'm team "eevee is a fox" ahah

WHAT!????? How the heck is this a thing!??? This is so absurd that you must be the only person in the world wh-

I thought it was a fox!

OMG not you too!! :disbelief:

As much as I want to see Eevee as a cat, I still can't help but get fox vibes from it (even with the evidence suggesting otherwise). Its bulbous, light-tipped tail is very typical of a cartoon fox, though a real fox tail basically looks the same as that of a long-haired cat. I think it's the light tip that gets me the most (not that cats can't have a light-tipped tail), but this is actually missing in nearly all of its classic TCG art.

Guys!!! This is the most ridiculous contention I've ever seen! :pink_laugh: Eevee is clearly not a fox - it's the furthest thing from it! Linoone is closer to being a fox! Furret is closer to being a fox! Heck, even Virizion and Cobalion might have claim to possessing more fox-like features than Eevee!

(Sword/Shield spoilers in the following spoiler tag; don't open it if you haven't played the new games yet! The other spoiler further down in this post is the usual G-Money length one, haha. That one's safe to read!)

Spoiler:

But Eevee? Like, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG foxes are orange and long and have mean eyebrows. Eevee is a cute little elf-creature that's, like, a fantasy magic-forest derivative of an angelic cat, with certain doglike properties (arguably). Eevee is closer to a ground-based, mammalian Swablu than anything else.

I can't believe such heresy is being spewed!! Eevee is clearly, like...um, well, I don't really know what it is, but I know it's not a fox!! :tongue-poke:

:laugh:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Love the contest idea! Not sure how many Shinies I'll acquire since I'm focusing on full-odds hunts (bouncing between Meowstic-M, Sneasel, and Venomoth), but hopefully I'll get some and come up with some cool nicknames!

G-Money said:
the Alolan naturalist said:
I'm team "eevee is a fox" ahah
WHAT!????? How the heck is this a thing!??? This is so absurd that you must be the only person in the world wh-

icycatelf said:
I thought it was a fox!
OMG not you too!! :disbelief:

This gave me a good chuckle. xD

It makes sense that some people see Eevee as a fox, given that even its creator likened it to a cat or dog. While more closely related to canines, foxes exhibit many feline characteristics. (Many liken Eevee to a fennec fox—the origin of Fennekin—given its long ears, but I'm on your side with that being more of a magical/elf-like feature.) I do have trouble seeing how people get fox out of Leafeon, though. To me, it's clearly a colorpoint cat with no dog-like features at all.

Spoiler:

Speaking of Leafeon, I've really been enjoying it lately. I transferred the Shiny Eevee clone I evolved into Leafeon to Sword (along with some of my other most-treasured Shinies that could be transferred) and I want to use him all the time! I think it's one of my absolute top favorite Pokémon now (maybe even above Wartortle, though Wartotle might still win out in terms of nostalgia).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I love the contest idea! I've already got a few nicknames in mind so I'll wait until the end of the month to hunt shinies and put those nicknames on 'em! In the meantime, I wanted to do another holiday themed hunt for February but a short one, since I did a long valentines' day hunt. This weekend was carnival in a lot of different cultures, especially Caribbean, Latino and European countries, so I did a hunt around music and dancing. I already had Nymphea the ludicolo, so I hunted Memento Mori the firedancing alolan marowak, Nectarine the costume-changing Oricorio, and Bolero the maracas-shaking Maractus! I really need to get a life ahah

Attachments

• carnival.jpg
    carnival.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Years
Hi, I've been stalking this thread for a while and finally decided to join. For a past year and half, I'm trying to complete Shiny Badge Quest on Ultra Moon that I call Shiny Island. For anyone who doesn't know what Shiny Badge Quest is, you basically have to find a shiny Pokémon before each Gym, or in my case before each Trial. I also added some more special hunts for each Grand Trial.

I finished the main story in November and haven't touched the game for a few weeks now, but I was shiny hunting Type:Null, Poipole and Stakataka. Well I didn't even got to Poipole and Stakataka yet and I'm about 850 SRs on Type:Null.

I really like the contest idea, but won't probably participate, because I'll focus on finishing up mentioned hunts and beating Battle Tree with my shinies. But the idea of themed hunts that the Alolan naturalist is doing sounds like a lot of fun.

G-Money

Years
:pink_boogie: May the contest begin!! :boogie:

For the voting in April, everyone will get one vote, and the hunter who's amassed the most votes for their shinies wins the grand prize! I was going to have everyone get three votes, but then I figured that that would reward quantity over quality, since someone could get votes for three different shinies then, even if two of them weren't the coolest thing ever, haha. This raises the stakes to their highest - each shiny counts! Give 'em the very coolest names possible!!

Good luck, shiny hunters! :pink_nod:

-----------------------------------------------

12421 Swarm encounters (Pearl)
2305 Anorith SRs (Pearl)
5085 Chespin hatched (X)
A bunch of Pinwheel Forest shaking grass encounters (Black)

Happy leap day, everyone!!! Enjoy your extra day of hunting!! And life!! :laugh:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
So was working on getting all Kanto pokemon in Let's Go Eevee to transfer over to pokemon home to work on Magearna, and I ended up running into a Full Odds Shiny Zubat + Shiny Charm in Rock Tunnel which took me by surprise.

Haven't gotten any other Shiny Pokemon since I think Ho-oH or those from Ultra Worm Holes when I was actively Shiny Hunting last year. I did get a SHiny Chansey in Go, but decided not to count those anymore.

My new goal is to get Shiny Celebii now from Crystal. Have it not on V Console, but haven't done anything yet. Will probably start when I get done with Kanto Pokemon in Let's Go.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
First March 2020 Shiny!

I've mostly been hunting Sneasel in Gen. 2 and 4, but I decided to hop on Ultra Sun this morning to spend some time with my Shiny Mothim while hunting and found this instead:

NI3ZMWn.jpg

I named her Rheau after Manon Rhéaume, but I'm pronouncing it ree-oo instead of ray-aw. (I thought about shortening it to Rhea—which can be pronounced ree-uh, ray-uh, or simply ree/ray—but I like how the u looks at the end.) Purely coincidentally, this sounds similar to the Japanese word for dragon, ryu, which Glalie has the type advantage over.

I'm not so much a fan anymore, but Glalie was actually one of my main Pokémon in Gale of Darkness. (I usually say that it was Froslass that got me into Ice-types, but maybe it was Glalie?)

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Currently hunting shiny Ferroseed in Sword Version myself! Been taking a break from hatching eggs as my last few hunts were annoyingly long but hopefully this one goes much better.

On a side note I've been getting a lot of shinies from raids. I don't count them really as the majority are from just random raids I join online, likely being exploited, but it's still fun to see a dynamax shiny and add it to my collection!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Hi Everyone! Back at it again with a holiday Hunt. Happy St Patrick's Day! After my carnival hunt I decided to start hunting the infamously polarizing green shinies (all in nest balls!) and it turns out I was super lucky and got them all in like two weeks (and most of that time was spent hunting skarmory. That was hard!). In fact, I had my first ever double shinies! I was hunting with mine and a borrowed DS, doing two simultaneous SOS hunts and both shinies appeared at the same time!! Unfortunately, my great february luck turned into horrible march luck ahah, and it also means that none of these pokemon can be entries for the nickname contest. Oh well, anyways here's Pesto the little dragon, Brasilia the sea cucumber, Calypso the flower, Stym the metal birb (named for stymphalian birds of greek mythology), Sirocco the sea birb, Wasabi the drunk panda, and Jade the butterfly-ish!

Attachments

• stpatricks.jpg
    stpatricks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200224_104238.jpg
    20200224_104238.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 4

Sirfetch’d

Hi Everyone! Back at it again with a holiday Hunt. Happy St Patrick's Day! After my carnival hunt I decided to start hunting the infamously polarizing green shinies (all in nest balls!) and it turns out I was super lucky and got them all in like two weeks (and most of that time was spent hunting skarmory. That was hard!). In fact, I had my first ever double shinies! I was hunting with mine and a borrowed DS, doing two simultaneous SOS hunts and both shinies appeared at the same time!! Unfortunately, my great february luck turned into horrible march luck ahah, and it also means that none of these pokemon can be entries for the nickname contest. Oh well, anyways here's Pesto the little dragon, Brasilia the sea cucumber, Calypso the flower, Stym the metal birb (named for stymphalian birds of greek mythology), Sirocco the sea birb, Wasabi the drunk panda, and Jade the butterfly-ish!

congrats! How many encounters did Skarmory take?

I actually have grown to love the ugly green shinies ahaha

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
congrats! How many encounters did Skarmory take?

I actually have grown to love the ugly green shinies ahaha

Thanks! I've grown to love them too! the thing that turned the tide for me is espeon. I hated it until someone mentionned it looked like a green alien, then it grew on me and I ended up embracing the silliness. Tauros is pretty much the only one that I havent warmed up to yet. I even learned to love radioactive stantler and ursaring even though their shinies make no sense ahah.
As for skarmory, I honestly don't know but it took like 3-4 evenings of SOS chaining. I thought it was an impossibly hard hunt until this month I SOS hunted dragalgae and it took me almost 2 weeks!

Years
haven't visited this thread in at least 100 years (i'm getting notifs for my old posts from 2018, they're so cringe lol) but here's some shinies I got this month in my Sacred Gold playthrough. none of these topped 50 soft resets!
AoKWVKk.png

fWlbJLC.png

DRIFa1b.png

eQbzMP7.png

here's Lily! I was beyond happy when I got her, she is such a treasure. she's the first shiny I've ever gotten in a gen 4 game and meanwhile I've been trying to get shiny Piplup for 3 years xD

VhIL46W.png

yBJmJqd.png

and here's my latest shiny, I don't know what to name him yet. he's weird because I was trying to get a female eevee with an increased special attack in order to evolve into an Espeon.... and to use as an eevee-making machine for my pokedex quest. came looking for copper but found gold!

I dunno wether to evolve him into an Espeon or Umbreon, since those are some of my favorite shinies. and I'll need to figure out another way to get a female eevee.

edit: Celadon Gamecorner is the only other way, I hope this hack has mantained that. looks like I'll have to spend 6 hours trying to get enough coins from a game based on luck, again :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Hi everyone: Hope everybody's staying safe from the pandemic. In the last post I made (green shinies for St Patrick's) none of my shinies qualified for the Mqrch contest so here's the shinies I got this month that DO qualify. I realised while making the composite image that there is a blue and purple theme going on. That was (mostly) unintentional although I have been mostly focused on aquatic shinies as of late. Dragalge and Horsea (not pictured) took me like 2.5-3 weeks to find!!
I'm sad we don't have more entries for the contest, but anyways here's mine!
- Clair de Lune the Cresselia (means "moon shine" in french without the alcoholic connotations ahah), got this one today, after only 198 SR (was bracing for 1000s of them ahah)
-Spartacus the Ralts, to become a Gallade (MM+SC)
-Agate the rockruff, SOS chained
-Titan the Wailmer, from a pretty quick SOS chain
-Poseidon the Wishiwashi from today, under 80 SOS calls
-Kuroshio the Dragalge (named after the current that runs along Japan), my most grueling SOS hunt to date
-Triton the Clamperl, to become a Huntail, SOS chained

Attachments

• March blues and purples.jpg
    March blues and purples.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 10
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Hey all, what happened to this thread and the contest? Anyways, I hope everybody is safe. Happy Easter!

Attachments

• Easter.jpg
    Easter.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 4

G-Money

Years
Hey all, what happened to this thread and the contest? Anyways, I hope everybody is safe. Happy Easter!

"lol" since no one's voted yet, we'll extend the voting deadline through the end of the month! The candidates are:

• icycatelf's Rheau
    [*]lil' starfish's Lily
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Clair de Lune
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Spartacus
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Agate
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Titan
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Poseidon
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Kuroshio
    [*]the Alolan naturalist's Triton
Everyone gets one vote! I'll hold off on casting my vote in case we need a tiebreaker, haha. Best of luck to all the contestants! :pink_boogie:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Well, I hate to have to choose only one, but it has to go out to Icycatelf's Glalie Rheau, because I love the thought you've put into it. However, LilStarfish, please know that it was a close call, because I absolutely love shiny totodile with a passion (it was my second ever intentional shiny hunt) and I think it's funny to give the little ruffian such a delicate name as Lily.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
It's no Shiny Venonat/Venomoth, but I'd sort of been wanting another Shiny Oddish anyway since learning that pawpaws (which I only recently discovered behind my house) have flowers that, like the much larger and rarer Rafflesia that inspired Vileplume, are carrion mimics (they look and smell like dead flesh to attract scavenging insects). His nickname comes from Asimina triloba, the common pawpaw's scientific name. (Now I kind of wish that Shiny Vileplume's petals stayed a shade of red...)

XKpSf0d.jpg

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I'll go ahead and join. I have been stalking these halls with admiration for a long time, I think this is such a cool club and you guys who have been hunting shinies all these years are so awesome, but because I'm a rookie I've been timid about posting here. I feel ready to come out of the shadows.

I just caught a bashful shiny Purugly this weekend with the help of the dexnav in Omega Ruby after 397 encounters. I know a lot of people don't like Purugly, but I always thought she was a funny pokemon with the puffed out chest, death stare and teeny feet. She thinks she's so tough.

I would have loved one with the hidden ability defiant and either the jolly nature I was synchronizing for or adamant, but I will still happily take this bashful own tempo kitty. I think Purugly has such a fun purple shiny and I named mine Cheshire after the infamous Cheshire Cat from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

The first shiny I random encountered was Gible in Wayward cave in Platinum. The first I bred was Mawile in Omega Ruby, and the first legendary pokemon shiny I caught was a Lugia I sr for on the virtual console Crystal which I traded to my boyfriend as a Christmas present.

My current collection is in the spoiler tags. It's modest, but I am still proud. It's the culmination of my efforts breeding with the masuda method, friend safaris, random encounters, dexnavs encounters, GameStop distributions, trades with my friends, penpals and fellow members and my many other adventures in the pokemon world.

Spoiler:

I am currently hunting a shiny Pikachu in an electric Friend Safari. As I mentioned have a shiny Raichu already, so now I would like a Pikachu to go along with it and add another member of the mouse family to the house. If I get two Pikachu then I will make one an Alolan Raichu, since the Raichu I have already is the Kantonian Raichu. I would not mind that regional variation with the chocolate candy color scheme at all.

Last edited:
Back