• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Webmasters Discussion / Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
With the restructuring of the Comp/Tech forums, the Webmaster's Discussion forum has been archived. You can still read all of the old threads by clicking here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Use this thread as a general discussion for anything related to running a website. Quick questions and tips, reviews on your sites, etc. Graphics, layouts, hosting, software... the works.

If you have any questions about this thread, please be sure to send a PM to Zach or any other higher staff.

Last edited:
Years
Well your forums aren't doing too well aesthetically. You've picked a pretty nice theme to start off from, but it looks like you've gone in the complete opposite direction when it comes to your customisation. The style you chose as your base is very clean and simple looking, however your customisations look quite harsh and textured. This look could work, but only if you use a different base theme.
If I were you though, I'd get a new base theme, one that's simple and easy to edit. Look at what's going on with it, look at the colour schemes and the fonts and such and try your best to imitate them using your own themes.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This is related to webmasters because I'm doing it as a webmaster of a website so I'm putting it here because I want to share and this chat is dead :)

I just finished creating a simple app for my job. I'm super excited because this means I'll have my own android app on the app store!! It wouldn't be helpful to anyone outside of my school though XD

Years
Do tell more! What sort of website are you webmastering, and what is this app called I want to see what it looks like! :D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm the webmaster for my nightclub (note the autoplaying music was done against my wishes :( ) http://legends.nd.edu/. The app basically allows you to add to the guestlist in the same way that you can do on the site, look at the calendar and the details of each event, see the 10 latest news entries, look at contact information, and access the blog/mobile site. :3 Here are some excessively large images because that's how my phone takes them, haha:

http://i.imgur.com/swnsh.png
http://i.imgur.com/3fek0.png
http://i.imgur.com/s8tCT.png

So it's really simply designed but it does what it's supposed to do. XD; Plus a little extra that my boss didn't ask for but is icing on the cake! I don't get to show it off till Tuesday during my meeting thoughhh.

Critx

Is making Wi-Fi on Rom hacks
Years
I made a Site but is NO WHERE NEAR DONE!!

Here

I need Feed Back :P

(I know you guys went on it Lulz)

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Kinda bland tbh. I think you need some more colors other than gray, but that's up to you! A background picture would be nice too, but that's completely optional (just look at our forum skins :3)

Also, it's kinda overloaded with apps, so I suggest you cut down somewhat (eg the Forumotion shop tab) until you get some activity going.

---

So, just asking, but what link color would complement a green (#B4E391) background? I think I have it down, but I want a second opinion. So far, I have #304030 as normal, #398235 as visited, and #395935 as hovering. do you think that's good?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Alright, sooooooo, I've been working on a skin :3 This is gonna sound weird, but I'm trying to duplicate vB4 on vB3. Yes, I know, who in hell would want to do that :/
I don't really know, but it was an interesting thing to try so bare with me :(
I can't provide a link cause the skin is hidden till now, but I have a screenshot (actually a page shot per se).
Note that it is yet to be finished. The Top 5 Stats area and everything below have not been finished yet lol.
Huge image incoming:
Spoiler:

Also, I fixed the breadcrums so they'd be horizontally aligned, similar to vB4 and as opposed to the branched alignment in vB3.
Spoiler:

As you can tell, the forum display page is still vB3 default >__>

Also, this is not a second hand mimicry xD I'll be editing the forum display in the above image to match vB4, the postbits, and profiles. I'm half way through profiles. Well, quarter-way, but yeah:
Spoiler:

I re-located the Username, offline/online status, rank bar, reputation and user options to the sidebar, but I still need to change the alignments to switch the two tables and then I have some graphics editing and fonts/colors what not need to be fixed.

Sooo, thoughts? :/

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
@PEDRO12: You've shown me this so much, but it still looks as good as ever.
Thanks lol.
And for my question:

A few years back, in the Slowpoke April Fool's joke, PC had everyone's username become one similar thing in all locations, the postbit, the Forum Home, and whatnot. What I was curious to know, is how they managed to change the username that appeared on the Forum Home. I currently have this:

PHP:
$user['musername'] = " "; 
$user['username'] = " "; 
$user['postusername'] = " ";

...But it doesn't change names on the Forum Home. How would I go about doing that?
Erm, there should be a username var in the index directory, although I wouldn't mess around with that :x
YOPVLO = You Only Purchase vBulletin License Once :3

Echidna

Years
Do you know what that var is? I'm using it in a plugin, so if it messes up, all I need to do is disable it and it's back to normal.

Ah that's good. And the variable should be $username although I'm not sure cause the usernames on forum home are in both $lastpost and $activeusers...

You're gonna have to go through index.php, sadly. Well, not really. I mean I'm sure someone on PC knows how, they did do it after all. I'd ask Ausaudriel if I were you @genius.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Thought I'd ask here, there might be a few vBulletin wizards here. Anyways, I'm working on a simple username plugin system that allows you to customize a username without actually changing it. I have it working... For the most part. However, I have this problem:

PwUKz1P.png

The usernames don't appear properly on the "Last Post By". This is what I have:

Code:
if ($user[userid] == 49) 
{
    $user['musername'] = "<i><b><span style=\"color: #BE2D47\">リザードン</span></b></i>";
    $user['username'] = "リザードン";
    $user['postusername'] = "リザードン";
}
...as a product of vBulletin and it hooks into "fetch_musername". What variable would I use to make the name edits appear on the Last Post By properly?

I'm not sure if you can I think when threads are posted they are written into the database and cannot be changed..

droomph

weeb
Years
yuck.

So, should I just wait until people seem interested in helping out with spam, or is there something I can do about that?

Thought I'd ask here, there might be a few vBulletin wizards here. Anyways, I'm working on a simple username plugin system that allows you to customize a username without actually changing it. I have it working... For the most part. However, I have this problem:

PwUKz1P.png

The usernames don't appear properly on the "Last Post By". This is what I have:

Code:
if ($user[userid] == 49) 
{
    $user['musername'] = "<i><b><span style=\"color: #BE2D47\">リザードン</span></b></i>";
    $user['username'] = "リザードン";
    $user['postusername'] = "リザードン";
}
...as a product of vBulletin and it hooks into "fetch_musername". What variable would I use to make the name edits appear on the Last Post By properly?
You have more access to the server than me, so just check out the .php file that handles that stuff in the most recent post box, and see which variable it uses.

That's how I manage to make what I make, honestly.

Last edited:

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
If it references by UserID then in theory he should still be able to pick up the different username, as long as it's a field within the same table. It's similar to the display name and username system in IPB.

Years
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've used vBulletin), posts and threads have not only the user ID stored, but the username as well (which is one of the main reason username changes on huge forums can be a very CPU-intensive process). It's likely just referencing the stored username when showing the last post which, unfortunately, ignores your modifications to the code that retrieves a username.

Years
Hm. Guess it can't be fixed without some crazy PHP work then :c

Alright then. Thanks anyway.

If you want to modify the files, you could likely replace the query that's retrieving the username for posts and threads with the normal "retrieve username from user ID" query manually but it's going to add a bunch of queries to every page so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back