• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: [Essentials v17] Following Pokemon v 1.4.1

Years
I have trainers images named 001.png
so do I have to make them into trainers001.png and what do I do after making a modification like that nothing or like editing scripts?
There's no reason to have trainers named that. You can see in Essentials that they're named trainer001.png by default.
But if you insist, look in the scripts and you can see that it's possible to set a subfolder that your sprites will be in (Graphics/Characters/Followers or something like that)

Can u help me mej71?
https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=tkFEhcxQljk&feature=youtu.be
Given that there's no real reason to ever spam Ctrl like that, and it doesn't crash anything, I don't really see a need to try and fix that.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 24, 2016
There's no reason to have trainers named that. You can see in Essentials that they're named trainer001.png by default.
But if you insist, look in the scripts and you can see that it's possible to set a subfolder that your sprites will be in (Graphics/Characters/Followers or something like that)

Given that there's no real reason to ever spam Ctrl like that, and it doesn't crash anything, I don't really see a need to try and fix that.

As I was thinking...there´s not reason to fix it...My friend just annoying :D

Ryz

Years
A few questions. So a while back I had a problem with the script. I fixed it... but you said after the transfer to call
$NeedFollowerUpdate=true

So I did. The the questions I have... do I have to call it after every transfer? Because when I don't the sprites are just static and it appears as its being dragged

Also is the Pokemon behind supposed to be really laggy? Every time I call it it lags like crazy. I move fine but the following Pokemon doesn't.

Lastly, when a Pokemon faints the overworld still shows. Like for example, lets say a squirtle was following you, it faints, but still follows you. Not so sure thats supposed to happen. Found that when I was testing the fainting.

One other thing I find silly that I don't think will even matter, is that when you use the demo Pokemon on debug after you already have your first it doesn't update the follower. Not that that even matters. Just thought I'd point it out.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2024
That work great! But I have a question.. how I can do to make the pokémon enter on the pokéball when healing on Pokémon Center? I'm using your Balls Display Script.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
That work great! But I have a question.. how I can do to make the pokémon enter on the pokéball when healing on Pokémon Center? I'm using your Balls Display Script.

You can call pbToggleFollowingPokemon() to return and send out the follower.
Just put it in the script when the nurse says she'll take your pokemon.

One other thing I find silly that I don't think will even matter, is that when you use the demo Pokemon on debug after you already have your first it doesn't update the follower. Not that that even matters. Just thought I'd point it out.

If you do want to fix it, in the script Section Debug, find this section of code under def pbDebugMenu:
Code:
    elsif cmd=="demoparty"
      pbCreatePokemon
      Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Filled party with demo Pokémon."))
Just add $PokemonTemp.dependentEvents.refresh_sprite in that block.

Last edited:

Ryz

Years
You can call pbToggleFollowingPokemon() to return and send out the follower.
Just put it in the script when the nurse says she'll take your pokemon.

If you do want to fix it, in the script Section Debug, find this section of code under def pbDebugMenu:
Code:
    elsif cmd=="demoparty"
      pbCreatePokemon
      Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Filled party with demo Pokémon."))
Just add $PokemonTemp.dependentEvents.refresh_sprite in that block.

Hey. Thanks. Doesn't bother me that much though. I mean its not like other players are gonna see it. Thanks for the info though

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 24, 2018
Hi, I followed the steps correctly, but i get this error
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: TypeError

Following:222:in `+'

Following:222:in `add_following_time'

Following:1457:in `update'

Scene_Map:104:in `follow_update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `follow_update'

Following:1544:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

Scene_Map:65:in `loop'

Scene_Map:72:in `main'

Thanks a lot for doing this!

Years
A huge thx for that group of people that makes this perfect script. Anyway, this script works in essentials v15 to v16.2, i tested myself, and it don't give any problem.

By the way, i need some little help, this script clash with a script called Water Pound Bubbles maded by KleinStudio.
Here is the error:

script10.png

So, how i can fix this? I think that the clash problem comes from water reflection from Water Pound Bubbles.

Years
A huge thx for that group of people that makes this perfect script. Anyway, this script works in essentials v15 to v16.2, i tested myself, and it don't give any problem.

By the way, i need some little help, this script clash with a script called Water Pound Bubbles maded by KleinStudio.
Here is the error:

script10.png

So, how i can fix this? I think that the clash problem comes from water reflection from Water Pound Bubbles.

These scripts are not incompatible, and produce no errors. There is a slight visual bug, followers won't walk on still water, since this is also regarded as surfable water, so I would suggest using a different terrain tag for them, but there is no crashing error. Furthermore, your error message does not even match up with the Klein's script. Please don't ask public resources to help you fix custom scripts or solve errors caused by edits to their resource.

Years
These scripts are not incompatible, and produce no errors. There is a slight visual bug, followers won't walk on still water, since this is also regarded as surfable water, so I would suggest using a different terrain tag for them, but there is no crashing error. Furthermore, your error message does not even match up with the Klein's script. Please don't ask public resources to help you fix custom scripts or solve errors caused by edits to their resource.

Ok, but when i add the new pokemon follow script that error shows up when i moving the character to another map. That water pound bubbles, the player don't use surf on this tiles, this tiles was seen in emerald in route 120. And it have a terrain tag of their own, and i don't change anything, the old pokemon follow script don't make this error when i added it for testing so i think that something's not right.

Btw this has nothing to do with the following system but I have tested it with Pokemon essentials 16.2 and I don´t have any problem? What version of essentials do you use?

I tested in essentials v15 and v16 and i've got the same issues, so the version here is irrelevant.

This error appears when my character goes to another outdoor map. when using the v16 pokemon follow script and water pound bubbles in the same project.

Example: Old pokemon follow script + water pound bubbles = works fine without errors.

v16pokemon follow script + water pound bubbles = that error shows up.

If i deleted that v16 pokemon follow script the error never shows up, so i think that something are clashing with this 2 scripts because i never changed pieces of coding that i don't know, i only gave a new terrain tag for water pound bubbles and changed text in v16pokemon follow script.
Another thing if i delete that water pound bubbles script the error will never appear again, so there's the clashing problem, i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Ok, but when i add the new pokemon follow script that error shows up when i moving the character to another map. That water pound bubbles, the player don't use surf on this tiles, this tiles was seen in emerald in route 120. And it have a terrain tag of their own, and i don't change anything, the old pokemon follow script don't make this error when i added it for testing so i think that something's not right.

I tested in essentials v15 and v16 and i've got the same issues, so the version here is irrelevant.

This error appears when my character goes to another outdoor map. when using the v16 pokemon follow script and water pound bubbles in the same project.

Example: Old pokemon follow script + water pound bubbles = works fine without errors.

v16pokemon follow script + water pound bubbles = that error shows up.

If i deleted that v16 pokemon follow script the error never shows up, so i think that something are clashing with this 2 scripts because i never changed pieces of coding that i don't know, i only gave a new terrain tag for water pound bubbles and changed text in v16pokemon follow script.
Another thing if i delete that water pound bubbles script the error will never appear again, so there's the clashing problem, i think.

1) Stop double posting
2) I get 0 errors with both scripts installed on a fresh v16.2. You've made improper edits somewhere, I can't fix that for you.

Years
Sorry for the double posting. And i will see again what's causing the error, but all scripts that i have are plug & play, so i don't have any clue what's causing it. Anyway thx for your support.

The problem is caused by the scripts order, i put that waterpondbubbles script above pokemon follow and now the error's finaly disapeared. This is the same method for family tree script. Sorry to bother you. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2024
Hello I need your help. I edit the PField_HiddenMoves to use a item replacement to Surf, but when I use your script, it doesn't work, what I can to to still using that and your script together?

That is the edit:

Code:
#===============================================================================
# Surf
#===============================================================================
def Kernel.pbSurf

if ($DEBUG || $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::SHARPEDO) > 0 || movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:SURF)) && $game_switches[4]
    if ($DEBUG || movefinder || $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::SHARPEDO) > 0) && $game_switches[4]
      if $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::SHARPEDO) > 0
         Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The Sharpedo Bot pack is vibrating!"))
      else
        Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The water is dyed a deep blue..."))
      end
      if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Would you like to surf?"))
        speciesname=!movefinder ? $Trainer.name : movefinder.name
        Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used Surf!",speciesname))
        pbHiddenMoveAnimation(movefinder)
        surfbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataSurfBGM)
        if surfbgm
          pbCueBGM(surfbgm,0.5)
        end
        pbStartSurfing()
        return true
      end
    end
  else
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The water is dyed a blue..."))
  end
  return false
end

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
So I wanna ask when u mean make two events do u mean common events or something else and where ?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 15, 2023
Okay so I may have missed something but when I go through a door I get this error:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

RPG__Sprite:123:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:434:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:433:in `each'

RPG__Sprite:433:in `effect?'

AnimationSprite:31:in `update'

AnimationSprite:88:in `follower_update'

AnimationSprite:87:in `each'

AnimationSprite:87:in `follower_update'

Following Pokemon:1768:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\black\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Sorry if this issue was already adressed :/

Edit: Okay so I (re)replaced my animations file, deleted any form of saved data, and copied the raw data script of pastebin, one of those made it work correctly. Cheers to others with the same issue :D

Last edited:

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
What script would I need to force the following pokemon back into the bag, if it is currently following? I need this because the following script seems to be broken with Cycling Road and I need to force the following pokemon back in the bag before the player goes through the gate to Cycling Road.

Pokébook1

Marene
Years
is it possible to add like a menu that says for example "Shift out". on the pokemon menu instead of talking to an NPC?

wuN9vod.png

Ask Mej71, as I'm not a good scripter, but just for seing on youtube how they do with normal non-pokemon games in RPG Maker XP (wihout essentials) theres a lot of tutorial videos how to make scripts with RPG Maker XP (no pokemon) just for the start, try to learn the basic scripts of RPG Maker XP, there are also a lot of Forums of RMXP out there, where they offer Scripts, like menus to download, but they also teach you how to make it your own.

How to script in RPG Maker XP - youtube
Just watch those tutorial videos, they may explain how to make script by yourself and make it the way they explain, make another project just for learning how to add things and remember to put what Mej71 wrote here on the 1st post: make the dependant Event. pbPokemonFollow(X) and X is the number of the dependant Event, as I know you don't want to use Events, so you really need to learn ruby and watch those videos I saw one from Pokémon Essentials there too. Try to find another way, to put it into the menu script they teach you how to add a menu screen, when you learn all the basics of scripting of RMXP and Ruby you'll be able to understand RGSS better. there are many Tutorial videos on youtube to learn Ruby too.
I'm really bad at scripting and I'm just trying to push u up, don't give up! I'll never give up! that's my way of thinking! I really want to learn that and I will learn it, no matter what happens, the same applies to you, if you want to make a game you have to go trough scripting, so you will be able to add scripts, fix scripts and much more you can do with that,

If you don't want though, try getting in contact with Mej71, he is my Inspiration of Scripting :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2016
Everything works, except for the sprite. The damn sprite won't show up! I've tried forcefully refreshing sprite in the code as well, but it just won't.

Years
Everything works, except for the sprite. The sprite won't show up! I've tried forcefully refreshing sprite in the code as well, but it just won't.

Do you have a follower sprite for the Pokemon that you want to follow you? If you don't have one, the sprite will be invisible but you can still interact with it.

I had an issue earlier like this. All my files were named things like 001_0.png, so I wasn't getting any sprites because when a Pokemon is in form 0, it looks for an image without any form indicator.

Back