• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNido

Nido Trainer
Years
My PC:

400MHz MAD K6/2 Proccessor
10GB C: Drive
20GB D: Drive
52X CD Rom Drive
96MB Memory
Windows 98SE
10/100MB Network Card
32MB PCI Nvida TNT64Pro
TV Card
Creative SoundBlaster 16Bit Sound Card
100MB Parallel Zip Drive

Planing to built a new system next year.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Shingo` said:
I took the 4.3 out. Forgot to mention that earlier. I added a new 120GB from Maxtor and a 120 from WD. Also, my motherboard has Firewire-800 support and SATA in its logic (hehe, faster than IDE/EIDE/SCSI!)
I would point out all of the flaws in that post and the ones I didn't point out early that indicate to any computer person that you are lying but I will leave you to figure them out yourself.

In other news... The computer world is not big enough for Microsoft. It is expanding to cars:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20031130/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_cars

I can't wait to get a car running MS Windows.

Edit: People are already pirating Longhorn:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20031201/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_piracy_dc

MS has to put a stop to this. These pirates are making it harder to install Windows (product activation). -_-

Harbinger of Chaos

Chaos of the World
Years
Shining Arcanine said:
I'd rather avoid it, as Windows does crash. Think about this, even if it is running a stable version, there is still the inevitability that it will crash. Imagine driving your car down the road. All the electronics go out. You crash and have to stay in hospital. I'd rather keep cars the way they are, thank-you-very-much.

Shining Arcanine said:
MS has to put a stop to this. These pirates are making it harder to install Windows (product activation). -_-
I agree. Piracy is bad. The thing is, Microsoft released a whitepaper on their own security, that says they will probably come under a sucessful attack, that could "could compromise the High Value and/or Highest Value data class." That's stuff like source code, and human resource data. I'd steer clear, what if instead of taking their code, someone puts a virus into the core of it?

Read http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/22/2154202 for more.

EDIT: (As to not double post...)
Shining Arcanine said:
Wow, you have an LS-120 Drive too? Do you know that they are now refered to as SuperDisks. lol I wish Imation didn't discontinue them... Considering my drive doesn't read its own disks anymore and I can't find a replacement at CompUSA (too lazy to search the net ATM).
I have a fe LS-120s lying around, but I rarely use disks anymore anyways.

Shining Arcanine said:
Look into installing Windows XP on your desktop and laptop. Perhaps Windows Embedded 2003 on your PDA. You shouldn't be disappointed.
No way, I dislike Windows. Closed source, and security flaws. The only thing I use it for is games, and XP can't support all of the games I have, so 98 is the best for that.
Embedded? No. Never. First, this device is MEANT to run Linux, it came with it. I'm just building a custom version. Second, I love how Linux works, and again, closed source, security flaws, etc.

Last edited:

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
MAD? I think you mean AMD.

Plan right. Can you afford a nVidia GeForce4, and a better processor?

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Linux= Opensource
Opensource= Bad

If a operating system is open source, you are even at a higher risk of getting hacked. o_O

I use Windows XP before and I was satified(I have a firewall so no hacker can get in).

Last edited:

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
Does anyone have a spare LS-120? I have five of those disks and my files are unreadable -_-

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Shining Arcanine said:
I would point out all of the flaws in that post and the ones I didn't point out early that indicate to any computer person that you are lying but I will leave you to figure them out yourself.

In other news... The computer world is not big enough for Microsoft. It is expanding to cars:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20031130/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_cars

Edit: People are already pirating Longhorn:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20031201/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_piracy_dc

Product activation is becoming more and more common, and it is a pain. From it screwing up to not being able to use it on things that aren't hooked to the internet, although rare, make it a hassle. There are alpha builds of Longhorn on KaZaA I believe. This is mostly a leaking issue as opposed to when it's released and pirated.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
I'd rather avoid it, as Windows does crash. Think about this, even if it is running a stable version, there is still the inevitability that it will crash. Imagine driving your car down the road. All the electronics go out. You crash and have to stay in hospital. I'd rather keep cars the way they are, thank-you-very-much.

Cars already have digitalized parts and they already crash. They have been for decades.

I agree. Piracy is bad. The thing is, Microsoft released a whitepaper on their own security, that says they will probably come under a sucessful attack, that could "could compromise the High Value and/or Highest Value data class." That's stuff like source code, and human resource data. I'd steer clear, what if instead of taking their code, someone puts a virus into the core of it?

MS was refering to DDOS and DRDOS attacks. Hacking is not one of the things MS has to worry about.

Not to mention the only way a virus is getting into Windows is that if it is an internal job and MS has records of every modification made to the Windows build. Not to mention it takes 30 days of running it with no problems on every computer in MS before they release a new version of windows to manufactering.

If you have some time, here are some resources for information on them:

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

They are good reading.

No way, I dislike Windows. Closed source, and security flaws. The only thing I use it for is games, and XP can't support all of the games I have, so 98 is the best for that.
Embedded? No. Never. First, this device is MEANT to run Linux, it came with it. I'm just building a custom version. Second, I love how Linux works, and again, closed source, security flaws, etc.

Closed source is good. It is much more secure than open source. By the way, if Linux had 95% of the market, I guarentee there will immediately be super virus that infects every version of Linux. Any idea how long this went unpatched and how easier it was for a virus writer to find it to find it:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/01/2133249.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=90

With Windows security holes are normally found by either MS or a researcher since virus writers have no clue where to start looking and researchers have nothing better to do than constantly security audit files.

Kairi said:
Product activation is becoming more and more common, and it is a pain. From it screwing up to not being able to use it on things that aren't hooked to the internet, although rare, make it a hassle. There are alpha builds of Longhorn on KaZaA I believe. This is mostly a leaking issue as opposed to when it's released and pirated.

It is still illegal and this build was meant for MSDN subscribers and the media only. Also, product activation may be a pain but it is only once.

Haruka said:
Why use the pre-alpha releases? They have alot of bugs and it can ruin your computer.. EEK! this must stop.

They are meant for developers so they can develop programs that will work on Longhorn without application compatibility now rather than later.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
So, It's not good for people that aren't developers then. Well, it takes programs to make your XP desktop as a longhorn the legal way... But the taskbar and the freatures are too different compared to Longhorn. :-/... It's very simple to find a fake imatation of longhorn. :P

Harbinger of Chaos

Chaos of the World
Years
Shining Arcanine said:
Closed source is good. It is much more secure than open source. By the way, if Linux had 95% of the market, I guarentee there will immediately be super virus that infects every version of Linux. Any idea how long this went unpatched and how easier it was for a virus writer to find it to find it:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/01/2133249.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=90
Linux and other Unix based OSes are inherintely more secure. The root account is used to install software, and other stuff, but not to check e-mail, where most viruses are transmitted. In Windows, most people use the Admin account to do everyday work. In Linux/Unix-based OSes, most people (excluding Lindows users, BTW, never use Lindows) use a normal user account. Only root has access to the main part of the filesystem, and normal users only can access their home directories, which can easily be wiped clean. And, no, viruses cannot "escape" unless someone stupid changes the owner of the file to someone with power. Also, when a file is transmitted, it is not executable. In Windows, give a file .exe or .scr and it can be executed, but in Unix-based, you must change the file permissions to allow it to be executed in the first place, so nothing is automatically executed. Also, most *nix mail clients don't display HTML mail be default, but they display the code, or cut off most of the formatting, and display plain text, so no images, or applet, or whatever.
The exploit was only used once, to crash a couple machines before it was found and fixed. Most Windows exploits crash many more machines than that, before patched. And in Linux, if something isn't getting patched soon enough for your liking, patch it yourself, and then submit the patch for review, before it will be put into the kernel source tree.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Harbinger of Chaos said:
Linux and other Unix based OSes are inherintely more secure. The root account is used to install software, and other stuff, but not to check e-mail, where most viruses are transmitted. In Windows, most people use the Admin account to do everyday work. In Linux/Unix-based OSes, most people (excluding Lindows users, BTW, never use Lindows) use a normal user account. Only root has access to the main part of the filesystem, and normal users only can access their home directories, which can easily be wiped clean. And, no, viruses cannot "escape" unless someone stupid changes the owner of the file to someone with power. Also, when a file is transmitted, it is not executable. In Windows, give a file .exe or .scr and it can be executed, but in Unix-based, you must change the file permissions to allow it to be executed in the first place, so nothing is automatically executed. Also, most *nix mail clients don't display HTML mail be default, but they display the code, or cut off most of the formatting, and display plain text, so no images, or applet, or whatever.
The exploit was only used once, to crash a couple machines before it was found and fixed. Most Windows exploits crash many more machines than that, before patched. And in Linux, if something isn't getting patched soon enough for your liking, patch it yourself, and then submit the patch for review, before it will be put into the kernel source tree.

The admin account being used as a user is not inherently. Not to mention in Linux and Unix 9/10 times you know what the admin account is. Get a program on the PC and start cracking via the shell. Or just use that Linux exploit I mentioned. Inherently Windows (NT 5.1) is more secure, since you don't know what the darn admin account is. Did I mention Sun is following MS's lead with Solaris 10?

Try Outlook 2003 on a Windows PC and you will see that Outlook 2003 doesn't either.

Most Windows exploits are patched within 24 hours by MS and aren't installed because the user doesn't know how to install a patch. The Linux people who don't know how to install a patch don't patch either.

By the way, Lindows is great. It is all about user experience, just like Windows XP. Infact, it is Windows only competition in the home. Especially since Redhat says that home users should install Windows XP (NT 5.1).

By the way, you seem to be comparing what home users do with their computers to what enterprises do with their computers. Considering Linux is on many more computers in professional environments than it is in home environments (Linux: 1% Mac: 2% Windows 97%), we should be comparing server operating systems. Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2) is superior to Linux. Many of the exploits in Windows (NT) affect versions prior to it. Not to mention it is easier to use, has lower TCO as a result, performs 2x higher, etc. Infact, my school uses it to run a domain (dual 2.4GHz Xeon w/1GB RAM) and it is super fast.

Vito Winstrate said:
In response to this: Do you think Mac OS X can be included in "secure"?

:) I really want a Tablet PC when I get older. Too bad Apple hasn't got into Mac OS X for Tablets, nor did they actually enter the market... Ink (Graphics Tablet text conversion-on-screen) would do well. Just make the pen draw on the screen, and watch the excellent conversion go...

Get a Windows Tablet. You can't bash it until you have tried it. The only reason they haven't took off well is because not enough people have tried them.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I personally would buy one of those laptops that can flip over into a tablet. It's not as portable, but it's a lot more powerful, and can have a keyboard when needed. Do those normal tablets have CD-ROM drives? I can't imagine, but a laptop would.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Haruka said:
Well, I wounder why... :-/

I am getting a Dell one for christmas.
I would love to get a Dell Axim for christmas but I need to upgrade my desktop's power and cooling parts. You won't be disappointed with a Dell Axim.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
If it is a newsletter about Apple, do you think that they would have anything negitive to say?

Benchmarks have already proved that Apple:

1. Lied when it published its benchmarks.

2. Uses one of the lowest performing processors on the market.

I don't have an Apple case so I haven't been able to see if Apple's eye candy case helps with heat. If I did, I would put my computer's MotherBoard, Processor, etc in it (if it doesn't fit, the cases are incomparable) and see if it helps with the heat situation. If it makes a difference, I doubt it will help much any more than a those specially designed ATX cases that cope with heat much better than the standard ones.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Personally, I like the standard ATX case design. However Apple is welcome to innovate. It won't affect my decision when I purchase a computer through.

Btw, Apple went way too far with those advertisements. They provided forged information to back it up.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Macintosh computers have had the same classic user interface for years and have never done anything to increase ease of use. Each release was the same boring user interface while MS made Windows easier and easier and easier to use with each release.

Laptops have had the ability to slow down or even turn off their fans for years, it is nothing new:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/precisioncooling.htm

That is a feature on my desktop. It doesn't make much of a difference other than slightly cut down on noise. A new PC Fan, Heatsink and PSU I will be installing later this month will cut down on noise more than software will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back