• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 20, 2013
I recently began nick naming. It adds a personal flair. I like to. Nickname wonder trade pokemon something humorous.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
I got a ditto from the Wonder Trade a few days ago named 5DollarFtLong xD

As for myself nicknaming, I like to if I can think of a good one.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 8, 2013
I love nick names, I love seeing the creativity of others. I nickname all the pokemon I catch that I don't intend to go into trade. I got a durant named "Squidwerd" (exact spelling). I kept him just for that name XD. I've got a steelix named "thumper" on X, looooove him.

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
Years
nick naming seams to give the pokemon a personality(besides nature) like i usually nick name my bulbasaurs Dino because they look like little grass dinosaurs

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
I like appropriate nicknames, especially silly ones. I've actually kept a few wonder trade Pokemon solely because they were nicknamed, like Sir Noms the (female) Gulpin.

Kokocat

Burning Young Heart
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 20, 2014
I recently received a Furfrou nicknamed Lucy in a Wonder Trade. I checked the OT and it was indeed the person who traded her. I was going to put her back into the wonder roulette when I noticed she came in a Luxury Ball... This person must have cared about this pokemon I thought, so I decided to keep her. We go to the salon everyday :3

I like nicknamed pokemon if their clever, but I'm sad if I find out later the pokemon came from a nuzlocke gone bad =/

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
If it was a Pokemon that I intend to use in battle, I just breed it. If it was just for Pokedex completion, it makes no difference to me.

Kirschwasser

Knight of Selphia
Years
All of my Pokémon have nicknames, so it looks odd when I get one without a nickname...

Oh, speaking of bad Pokémon names, someone traded me a Trubbish named H* Bag. Really, dude? Really?!!

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years
I love nicknames, I won't even trade most of the time if I can't nickname them.

And I give them awful nicknames too, to annoy people like: LLCruelJ, Godlyboner, White Power and so fourth.

I just gave two shinies for a normal 4IV Dratini because the fact it had a very offensive nickname lol.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I love nicknames, I won't even trade most of the time if I can't nickname them.

And I give them awful nicknames too, to annoy people like: LLCruelJ, Godlyboner, White Power and so fourth.

I just gave two shinies for a normal 4IV Dratini because the fact it had a very offensive nickname lol.
I hate annoying nicknames, and I'm sure many people don't appreciate it, but sometimes people give stuff awesome nicknames. I myself like to put thought into it and only nickname Pokemon that are really important to me, like my IV bred Larvitar I called Behemoth, after the legendary monster of the same name.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years
I hate annoying nicknames, and I'm sure many people don't appreciate it, but sometimes people give stuff awesome nicknames. I myself like to put thought into it and only nickname Pokemon that are really important to me, like my IV bred Larvitar I called Behemoth, after the legendary monster of the same name.

I do it for the soul purpose of being annoying but also, I don't trade these Pokemon out. I keep them all and wonder trade off ones I don't bother to nick name. I named my Tyranitar YOLORANITAR lol. I see a lot of Pokemon wonder traded, with myth and ancient names. I usually Google them and learn something, pretty neat.

Years
I prefer to leave pokemon names as they are as they are special on its own! and no need to change it. i traded once and received raichu named electra, was very disappointed, would prefer raichu with actual raichu name, it was named for a reason ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
When playing through the game, I like to nickname all of my Pokémon. I find it gives them more personality and helps me feel more attached to them. Later on, though, when breeding or catching Pokémon for dex completion, I often don't bother to nickname them, as it takes too long. I figure at that point that if I end up with a Pokémon I want to use, I can always go back and nickname it later.

I like receiving nicknamed Pokémon in trades only if they're well-named. In other words, the nickname must fit the Pokémon, must not be rude/insulting (so no swearing, racism, general stupidity, etc.), and must be something I can read (i.e., no Japanese names--I like to be able to pronounce my Pokémon's nicknames).

When trading Pokémon to others, though, I generally don't nickname them because my impression is that most players don't like nicknamed Pokémon. In some ways, I wish we could rename Pokémon received in trades, because I don't really like to use un-nicknamed Pokémon on my teams, but most traded Pokémon I receive either lack nicknames or have nicknames I don't like very much.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I've given every Pokemon I caught or hatchet a name. The ones I'm not planning on training usually get funny names, or get named after celebrities. XD

Though most people wont enjoy them, I think one or two people had to laugh upon getting a Geodude named Will Smith or a Mudkip named Vin Diesel in wonder trades.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
I always try to nickname the Pokemon I use. I usually name them after characters, mythological figures, Latin words or foreign names. It adds sentimental value to them and it just doesn't feel right to me if they're not nicknamed. On certain occasions I might change their name to something I feel sounds better (if I am able to).

As for trades, it really depends on the name itself. If I like it enough I'll keep it. If I don't like it I'll just trade it after I have no more need of it. All caps names bother me so I usually end up GTS trading those. Offensive nicknames will be deleted as soon as possible, though I've never got any thankfully.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I don't care about the nicknames of other people's Pokémon if they aren't stupid or swear words or something like that.

People would probably not like trading with me if they don't like nicknames. Some of my Pokémon have weird stories behind their names, like my Charizard named Galaxian. On the other hand, most of my Pokémon are named the first name I could think of that starts with the first letter of their names, like Peter the Pansage.

Back