• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What was (or is) your favorite pokemon to train in FRLG

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Dratini to ed up with dragonite is great. Or charmander to get Charziard, because Charizard is one of my favorite from Kanto.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Abra. I've used on in pretty much every game since gen 1, Alakazam kinda broke the game up until gen 4. No one messed with him and his beastly special attack.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
Years
Pikachu and Abra! I picked up a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, knowing how much Raichu helped me in Emerald. Abra because I knew it would evolve into something great! I trained these two up so much, that my Venusaur was in the PC because I wasn't using him at all any more.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I enjoyed Vaporeon and Charizard the most. Vaporeon was unbelievably helpful throughout the entire game and Charizard is just OP in my opinion. I also enjoyed Nidoqueen/Nidoking and Pidgeot.

Years
Larvitar to Tyranitar after I caught it from Sevault Canyons, seeing him level from 20 to 70s, especially with all the other higher-levelled Pokemon I had, was hard but worth the effort.

Paperhat545

The Pokémon Master
Years
Charmander to Charizard always gives me a feeling of power and accomplishment. Same goes for Dratini to Dragonite! Magikarp wields a powerful reward once trained, but man, is it hard to train!

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I REALLY loved blasting people with my Gyarados's hydro pump.
I liked training my Dragonite because that was going to be a beast.

TY

Rhyhorn... This guy was hard to train, but it was all worth it when it became Rhydon... Rhydon is such a beast imo.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Charizard of course! It's so cool seeing such a powerful Pokémon that wasn't a flying type before grow wings!

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I always enjoyed catching a Pikachu and making it an absolute beast. It made me feel like Ash :3 (Only I didn't lose at the Pokémon League..........)

Sirfetch’d

Starmie for me. I have always loved using it in games that it is obtainable because it is so versatile and strong.

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I remember once I caught a Clefairy, taught it metronome, and trained it by going to route 1 and spamming metronome on Rattatas and Pidgeys.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
My favourite Pokémon to train in Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green was always Charmander. Yes, it did take quite a long while to train it up to Lvl. 36, but when it reached that level ... Having a Charizard was just so satisfying, all of my hard work had paid off and I had this Fire|Flying beast.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Before defeating the Pokémon league, Squirtle was actually the only Pokémon that I was focused on training. My entire team depended on this Pokémon, haha. When I was done with the league, I finally started to train my other Pokémon. The one that I absolutely loved training was Dratini. When I was able make it evolve into a Dragonite, I felt quite proud of myself. I also liked training Ghastly, because it's one of my favorite Pokémon from the Kanto region. =)

Last edited:
Back