• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Returning to the hobby....

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 11, 2019
Hello there,

I'm a returning collector to pokemon cards and I'm amazed at how many new sets there are. My wife and I have started to collect again.

We have picked X&Y Fates Collide to start collecting as the trainer box was on clearance. Now, we plan on buying booster packs until we have about 75% of the collection (because we love the excitement of opening them) then we will buy the cards individually online until we have a complete set.

Question 1 -
What is a complete set? 124 cards is in this set (XY fates collide). Yet there's reverse holo's for almost each card and full art work cards too. Is the full set ALL these cards? that's over 240 cards right?

Our plan is to have a COMPLETE set, all cards. As we plan on selling the set in the future. (ten years or more) Do you think its worth getting EVERY card? Or just the base 124?

Secondly, How well do the cards hold their value? as collectors items? How do people like to buy them? full sets? or singular?

Thanks for you help.

Kirk

Years
A full set is the 124 in the collector's number plus the "secret" rares, which for Fates Collide is just Alakazam EX 125/124. At least that's what most collectors consider to be a full set. A reverse holo set is generally considered its own complete set.

The cards will struggle to hold their value until at least 10-15 years out, most likely. Most people buy singles though as most collectors tend to be filling in gaps in their collection rather than looking for full sets.

Back