• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Region speculation/what will the region be based on?

TEXg715

TEXg
Years
Spain sounds about right. Since Spain and France have a history of war, it fits with the war from 3000 years ago. What if Kalos and that other region where fighting over who ascends to the throne, with Kalos wanting it to be AZ and the other region wanting it to be AZ's brother, like in the real life War of Spanish Succesion, well sort of.
That would also explain how, being the descendant of AZ's younger brother, Lysandre is an infuelcial figure in Kalos, because Spain and France became allies after said war.
This is taken from my most recent history class which in turn had to be translated, so take this with a grain of salt. It's nothing more than baseless speculation anyways...

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
Real world Singapore is really tiny (only ~50km from East to West). If GF were to ever use this island for a region, they'll have to expand it massively, or use parts of Malaysia as well.

As much as I hope for Singapore to be the inspiration for the next region, it seems like a Mediterranean-based region is more likely.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
As someone here mentioned before, do u think the new games have something to do with the SUNdial in Anistar city?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Singapore seems quite plausible for the region's basis, but now that you think of it, it may be Mediterranean, Italy or Greece maybe (Greece would be a great basis for a region). I was hoping for a UK based region, but that building doesn't tie in with the UK as it seems tropical. Maybe it could be based off of Los Angeles.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2019
I want them to bring back having tons of Mythical, Legendary, and stationary Pokemon. I loved going around finding all like 13 in D/P/Pt. I also miss them giving you an item that unlocks a Pokemon(I.e. Azure Flute, and Oak's Letter I think for Shaymin), and I like that style more than the distribution events.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
Years
I get the tons of Singapore ideas out there, but I'm gonna be an oddball and hope that it takes place in a region based on Peru or Brazil or Chile. South American countries with plenty of old Aztec or Inca-inspired ruins to explore. And I dunno, every time I think "sun" in a mythical setting I always think the Aztecs for some reason. Plus, that'd be a huge leap out side of Pokemon's comfort zone of doing developed nations. Give some other nations a chance, maybe ones that don't have too much money. Actually, my friend was saying maybe Africa could be a potential inspiration, since the whole continent has so many varying biomes on it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Just merged together three threads on this topic. Please check that your thread doesn't already exist before you make it.

blue

gucci
Years
Multiple regions.

Just a thought here but there were mentions of a moondial from a NPC in Anistar City, so I wouldn't be surprised if these games took place to an area close to Kalos. It could well take place in Catalonia which is the northern part of Spain, incidentally this boarders onto France. Assuming these games are a new generation but are some sort of sequels to X and Y, I'd love to be able to travel between the new Region and Kalos just like we could in the Gen II games.

kartöflur

actual potato
Years
I'm hoping it's based off of Spain/Southern France, and will be the area south of Kalos, including Kiloude City, where you could hopefully take a train into Kalos. I'm a big fan of Kalos so I'm really biased about it.

I wonder if the various trucks shown briefly in the trailer will end up being anything significant. It's unlikely that you'll be able to drive them yourself, going along with the ten-year-old protagonist thing, but one of the designs looked like a travelling Pokémon Center/ambulance.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
I think I briefly mentioned what I hope to see in the new games. Well I'm going to beef up that list or sorts with more. Again I think I mentioned a couple of these before but eh. As for hopes and dreams I've touched up upon them in previous pages but nonetheless:

An ACTUAL Difficulty Curve: NO EXP SHARE NEAR THE START OF THE GAME. This was the game breaker for both of my regional adventures. Have us train with having trainers whose AI isn't as mind numbing easy, challenging encounter rates, make the Gym Leaders an ACTUAL challenge. I get why they want to simplify the mechanics for the causal, but don't sack rice everything for the hardcore fans who hope for a little more challenge themselves. I'm talking Platinum level of hard. If they can bring back the difficulty levels of B2W2 that'll be great, but if so please have that as an option at the start of the game, not locked behind the post game which by them it can be moot.

More Visually Appealing Environment: Already explained what I hope to see. ORAS Hoenn is now my most favorite region in terms of how vibrant things are, and graphically the over world compared to XY is appears to. Even then, I hope that this region feels more organic and not tied down to the restrictive squarish nature that Game Freak employs in the games. While I liked Hoenn the same blocky feel still made the place feel a bit dull. Since I see the graphical improvements of XY -> ORAS to that of DP -> Pl -> HGSS of how a generation improved visually I hope Sun and Moon can do the same.

Post Game: I get harken get back the roots for XY had a few pros, it definitely had a lot of cons, especially for the post game, if you can call it that. Outside the Looker side quest it was virtually non existent. At least it felt that way. Especially since it's predesccor has arguably the 2nd best post game ever (behind the Johto based games of course). It was a major letdown. ORAS swung things back in the right direction with its enjoyable Delta Episode and I hope S&M has not only something like that, but other post game areas that B2W2 managed to do. Speaking of one of those things...

Post Game REMATCHES: Not even ORAS had them, and while I get these games were mostly tied in with the originals with subtle hints of Emerald, it sucks that the entire 6th Gen had no sort of Gym Leader rematches of any kind.

As for Evil Teams/Main Game Advneture Stuff...I've been in the game for so long I just know things won't change to much. It would be nice to have a female leader of said evil team though. Or perhaps this evil team is like a family with a secret organization or something. But THOSE are more of a pipe dreamt hen what was already said I feel.

Mega Evolutions: All I want to see is my boy Mega Flygon get confirmed. After that I don't care. Maybe Mega Milotic. Honestly I don't want that many Pokemon to get a Mega, not every final stage Pokemon should really get one.

But MEGA FLYGON SHOULD GET ONE CMON GAME FREAK PLEASE

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Are we going to Hawaii?

Simple question, is the region Hawaii? There is a lot of evidence to support this:
Spoiler:

(courtesy of MetagameMajor on Twitter)

I also saw this( and then researched on it) elsewhere:
Spoiler:

And the Hotel:
Spoiler:

( from 4chan)

It's worth noting that the sun and moon are very important in Hawaiin culture, and flowers are a main symbol for Hawaii.

Masuda said flowers would be key this year.

And MetagameMajor also pointed out that in the trailer the vivilion used is the ocean one which represents the sun and moon!
Which could also link to Hawaii.

So it seems Hawaii is very likely! What are your thoughts?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I remember that ORAS pretty much had the same description. (Minus "new Pokemon") So I heavily distrust any of this marketspeak. Unless some real person says it in real words, I don't trust it.

So I doubt it's Kanto, but I'm paranoid and don't trust anything, so I really hope it isn't. I mean, yes, that would be perfect for the series' anniversary, but I'd rather have a new region that has heavy homages to all of the other regions than just... more Kanto. God, I am so sick of all of this Gen I nostalgia. I'm glad you're finally realizing that there are older fans of the series, Gamefreak, but this is really where I'd draw the line.
Okay but we knew ORAS were remakes and considering how the direct showed new Pokemon centers and buildings and the fact that they're called "Sun and Moon" and not "X2 Y2" AND the fact that it's the 20th anniversary coupled with the website saying "new world", all points to this being a new region. I completely agree with you that this Gen nostalgia is annoying, I don't know why anyone would want to go back to Kanto for the umpteenth time, but with the amount of time we've had since ORAS and Sun and Moon points to a whole new region, they could have made a Kalos remake or any other region for that matter and put it out in 2015 if they wanted too. Kalos as a second region seems very plausible though.

Years
Dude, having a Hawai'i-based region would get me so incredibly hyped you have no idea.

This could also link to one of the theories that we could finally have a game set in the Orange Islands. Maybe we can get an anime reference with the GS Ball or something.

Reactions: Z25

Snoopyfish

10% Dog - 90% Fish
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
I speculate that they're going to return to their roots, actually.
I know that most people say that the region's going to be based in Spain or that of the sort, but with Pokémon being blown out of the water by other franchises like Youkai Watch, they may try this one in Japan to appeal to their own audience.
Personally, I don't mind what region it's set in as long as the gameplay itself holds it's own.

I could be wrong either way.

Years
Personally, I'm still holding out for a Middle East-based region, though it doesn't really seem like this'll be it (unless that hotel is in the Dubai-equivalent or something).

I saw another thread around here that had some pretty good evidence for this region being Hawai'i-based, which I think would be super cool. If that's true, we might even get an anime shoutout in the form of, say, the GS Ball, or Professor Ivy.

Of course, having a Spain-based region would be pretty cool. Bonus points if the translated city names are bilingual puns.

Cay

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 11, 2022
That would be so cool! All the evidence lines up very well, IMO. I've always wished for a more tropical region. Maybe the legendaries are the mentioned hawaiian gods :o

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
That would be so cool! All the evidence lines up very well, IMO. I've always wished for a more tropical region. Maybe the legendaries are the mentioned hawaiian gods :o
That be awesome! A Fairy/psychic and maybe fairy/dark?
I think you've shown much more evidence than the Singapore theory did. The truck itself is almost enough to convince me it is Hawaii.
When I saw the trucks I was pretty convinced. They are putting a lot of details into the cars now, so the license plate being based on real ones would make sense, and helps it a lot imo.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2016
I'm just looking up Hawaiian god's and goddesses and it's very interesting!

There is a goddess named Hina ("Hina is mostly described as a very attractive, smart, beautiful, determined young woman pursued by men and other creatures. Hina becomes tired of living in the crowd, flees to the moon, and eventually becomes goddess of it.")

and a god named Maui ("this mighty demigod is also a trickster deity and a sun god... he physically attacked the sun, beating it and taming it like a beast and forcing it to move more slowly so that humans would have longer days")

and if you google image "Hawaiian god" the very first image to me looks similar to the Strange Souvenir!
gods2.jpg
Dream_Strange_Souvenir_Sprite.png

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only evidence that's used to debunk the Hawaii theory is that the mystery bird Pokémon is not native to Hawaii, as it looks more like a woodpecker because of its talons.

Back