• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Defense... [UU RMT]

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2010
So, I've finally made a team that has retained the same 6 pokémon for almost an entire day. It's not perfect, but I think it's got some potential. So it's time for me to steal the format from other RMT's and give it a shot. Here goes:

At a Glance
130px-319Sharpedo.png
346Cradily.png
210px-254Sceptile.png
90px-474Porygon-Z.png
120px-429Mismagius.png
257.png

In Depth

sharpedo.png

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- Crunch

This is my anti-lead. It handles most common leads pretty well. Frosslass is 2HKO'd if it stays in by a Crunch followed up with an Aqua Jet, allowing for one layer of spikes and no Destiny Bond. Electrode is similarly taken out. Spiritomb takes heavy damage from Crunch. Status leads can be absorbed by a switch to Porygon-Z or Cradily. If forced out (by, say, an Ambipom or aforementioned statuser), Sharpedo can come back later in the game and deal heavy damage with its massive attacking stats, priority, and good move selection.

cradily.png

Cradily (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/152 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Seed Bomb

This is the final holdover from when this was a sandstorm team. It may seem a bit odd on such on offensive team, but it works as a special sponge and can absolutely wreck an unprepared team. Barring things like Trick or Encore, Cradily can often lay down a few curses without much problem, at which point only a dedicated wallbreaker can deal lethal damage, and walls like Registeel find that their resists can't stop a +4 or +5 Seed Bomb. I've differed from the standard set because Seed Bomb covers subpunchers like Poliwrath and Azumarill better than Rock Slide, and Rock Slide's 90% accuracy feels more like 50% sometimes. I've also given it more defense because honestly, it's got enough SpD, and needs more protection from fighting moves.

sceptile.png

Sceptile (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This set was modified from SubLeichi when I realized that more coverage would be nice, and that I didn't do much subbing anyways. Sceptile is blazing fast and boasts powerful attacks. Sceptile helps me out against Moltres and bulky waters, as well as some other threats like Rotom, Venusaur, and Raikou. A Swords Dance on a forced switch combined with an unexpected Rock Slide can put the hurt on many of its counters. Even without Dancing, though, this thing's a beast.

porygonz.png

Porygonz @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ah, the infamous PorygonZ. He's one heck of a special sweeper (Though not quite broken, IMO - that's neither here nor there at he moment, however). This set was originally a lead, before I realized that Froslass and Ambipom pretty much have their way with it. Most people seem to expect a Choiced P-Z, so I can give them a nasty surprise when their Registeel gets hammered by HP Fighting. Nasty Plot and Download boost its power enough to threaten many walls. I'd say that they help the sweep, but honestly, this guy not sticking around that long.

mismagius.png

Mismagius (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Again, an unexpected set. I actually thought of a Trick Specs set before I discovered a standard set on Smogon. Mismagius helps my team deal with Fighting types, which otherwise put some serious hurt down. Its moves offer decent coverage with a powerful STAB, but unfortunately, none of them can hit every pokémon out there. If I can play around the immunities, though, nothing appreciates being hit from a Special Attack of 462. This set can also cripple walls on the switch-in with a well-timed Trick, then proceed to select the appropriate move as coverage demands.

blaziken.png

Blaziken (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Attack
- Low Kick

My final pokémon, and the fifth highly-offensive one. Blaziken can tear down walls, especially with a Swords Dance on a correctly predicted switch. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB that wrecks pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. Low Kick puts the hurt on rock types and large-sized bulky waters. Thunderpunch is a strong consideration for the final slot instead, but it really only offers additional coverage if I nail a Moltres on the switch-in. Low Kick reaches 100 BP against Milotic, for example, dealing the exact same damage as Thunderpunch.

Final Thoughts

You've probably noticed that my team lacks both entry hazards and a spinner, which probably isn't ideal on an offensive team. Ideally, I can prevent most hazards from going up and thus won't need a spinner - and by that time the battle's rolling and there's no time to stop dead and chuck some rocks out there. I've also got a bit of a weak spot when it comes to Fighters, Moltres, and Rain Dance teams, and there's a Spiritomb-shaped hole in my defense. I can try to put some specs on RestTalkers but I otherwise take pretty heavy damage.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Well, it looks like a pretty solid team.

You don't have entry hazards (as you said) which isn't necisarily (I know its spelled wrong) bad, but it helps. You could change Cradily's set around and put Stealth Rock in there and run something like:

Cradily @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/152 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Recover
-Earthquake
-Seed Bomb

Gives you entry hazards, a self heal and a couple of attacks for coverage. Cradily already has solid defenses so it can take a hit or two and get up the rocks. If you find that your not suffering from lack of entry hazards, then I wouldn't really considering changing Cradily.

Everything else looks good.

EDIT: Didn't bother to look at its moveset list, gets recover, I hope D_A is pleased.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Wait....why the HELL would you use Pain Split when it gets Recover. :|

Back