• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Helio Version

Which starter would you pick?

• Chamelica - Grass Starter

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • Kittorch - Fire Starter

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • Pireel - Water Starter

Votes: 106 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
Years
Man I just love your spriting aqua, wish I can do that well, oh well it's not a huge problem.

Anyways I can tell that the story is much darker than the regular games but still retaining some familiarity. Rayquaza's death isn't bothering me too much, if it ties in well then I'm completely fine.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
maybe it wasnt with a dagger, maybe with one of rayquazas own scales? or a dragon tooth?

...does it really matter what he used to kill Rayquaza with? Remember, its not actually in the game, its just referenced in the plot.

Sheesh people, this bit isnt even in the demo. I dont see why we just spent two pages talking about something that isnt even really the focus of the game. :P

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
^ Daggers just aren't pokemon-ish but I'm glad its only referenced. Whatever though I've moved on and I'll change the subject. Starrmyt, where does the demo go to?

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Hope you're not offended that I'm replying instead, but since I figured Starrmyt hasn't responded yet, I'll just let loose some info. To answer your question, the demo is going through the starting island the player is on. This means that the demo will feature...

*Getting a starter pokemon!
*More then 20 new species of pokemon! (I'm shakey on my numbers, Starrmyt can clear this up for you, but this includes evos.)
*The exciting plot through the end of the island, such as your best friend becoming your rival and meeting Team Solar!
*The first gym!
*An in-game trade!
*3 Routes to catch pokemon in!
*And a small little send off animation when you decide to end the demo!

The demo ends when you leave the island. You can leave the island when you talk to Lewis the Lapras sailor after having faced your psuedo-rival twice. You can not talk to Lewis and stay as long as you want. We should have the demo coming out within 2-3 months at most, so stay sharp!

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
^nah I'm not offended Starr was the above poster so he came to mind. I'm excited about the in-game trade btw

Starrcasm

Years
Yeah, I'm rather excited about the demo. While there is no advanced scripting [such as a new menu that everyone else seems to have], its still very proficient in every other way. We'll probably begin team beta testing in mid-September and then we'll have our demo release in October.

If all goes well, that is :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Well, here are my comments and thoughts on the game so far:

First off, I commend whoever sprited the 2 Player Characters and Gym Leaders! Selene especially looks cute; for some reason I thought she looked like a cute Latina Trainer on first glance! I love the color schemes used as well. And the Gym Leaders look cool as well, with Warren's toughness from the get-go and Hayden exuding a sense of serenity! Liking the names so far; especially Hayden's (who reminds me of the beautiful Hayden Panettiere...)

Special commendation for the VS Sprites as well; I'm hoping Helios, Selene, and the rival get one, as well as The Mercenary and Julian! Though I have no skill in making a VS sprite from scratch as of now, it gets a tad annoying when I can easily recognize where an edited VS Sprite came from (i.e., a VS Whitney edit).
I haven't seen all of the Pt/HGSS VS Sprites yet, but from what I can tell, the ones currently displayed are original (not to mention awesome), with new poses to boot. The fact that the artist dedicated that much time to create tricky yet original VS Sprites hints at the great potential this game holds in store for the future..

The synopsis and plot appear to be at an adequate length. Obviously, the whole plot can't be doled out at once, and a substantial amount of it would detract from the gaming experience. I actually prefer not being given much of the plot, to enrich the experience since I'm experiencing a new world/adventure for the first time which, IMO, is a definitive videogame experience. Take the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, for example (the best action-adventure game I've ever played on a console, even though I haven't finished). I could easily go to ZeldaWiki or a walkthrough and read the plot, bosses, weapons, and attacks featured in the game before I even complete the game. But why would I want to do that to ruin the whole point of buying the game, when I can play the game myself and engage in epic discovery, sans spoilers?
What is present right now would likely fit on a GBA/DS game box, so I don't think there should be excessive clamoring for more plot. If Pokemon Helios was in a box at Gamestop, the synopsis and plot would be exactly what would replace the normal Pokemon blurbs you find on the back of the box. To find out the rest, you'd have to purchase and play the game.

As for what I think of the plot, it seems intriguing, somewhat exploring a new direction than what past Pokemon titles have delved into... Selene hanging out with a Grunt/Admin of the game's crime syndicate could be explored further, I'm guessing... While the player's motivation for becoming a Trainer are a bit odd, they seem to fit. I love how "Aaron" (keeps on reminding me of E4 Aaron, though, which could be problematic) goes after you in an attempt to stop you, essentially becoming your rival. Instead of a natural childhood rivalry, your friend is kind of forced to become your rival out of caring for the player, in order to knock the player back to his/her senses...

The high school thing seems a bit odd, though, since hardly anyone in Pokemon goes to school, let alone high school (the players actually look a bit young for high school...)! The Pokemon Academy and Pokemon Tech come to mind, but those seem like elementary schools...

I'm wondering why Team Solar wants to restart on the Moon, instead of Earth. I get the excessive pollution thing would be harmful and force humanity's relocation, but couldn't they just take the easy route and use Pokemon to wipe everyone out instead? And it takes quite a bit of effort to get to the Moon... They could just use force to get their way quickly, instead of waiting for pollution to take its toll... I really like the pollution theme going on (hails to RSE, the games which hooked me back to Pokemon :D and where weather was utilized as a key plot element), though, and I'd like it to work. Anyway, maybe I'll learn why Team Solar wants to invest all of that seemingly unnecessary effort into polluting the earth and seeking out the Moon...eh?

Does Rayquaza really have to die?! Death can be a primary shifting factor for people's mindsets, but Rayquaza is a freaking LEGENDARY! It should be much more resilient from dying by a stabbing! Plus, it's one of my favorite Titans (my term for the version mascot Legendaries, Heatran, and Arceus...) The way I interpret the Pokemon canon is that there is only one of each Titan (I know some games imply there can be more than one of other Legendaries), so one of them dying is a bit...disheartening for me, for lack of a better word. I'd accept Rayquaza getting severely hurt to the point that it entered a near-death state...

The graphics confuse me a bit... The overworld seems to be the style of DPPt & HGSS, while the battle screen is that of RSE... I'd prefer the DPPtHGSS battle screen since it looks crisper than the GBA menus, etc., but I can manage... They are coming along really nicely, though...

For some reason, Pirashock from the back screams EPIC... I don't know why, but it exudes a sense of strength somehow... :)

----------

Finally, 2 questions:

1. Will this game have a Battle Tower/Frontier, complete with a Tower Tycoon/Frontier Brains? That's the main thing holding up Emerald's replay value for me, and I feel this game could benefit from one as well...

2. Have you decided on Legendaries yet? I think someone said something about Rayquaza's spirit being divided into a trio of 3 Ghost legends... However, my question relates more to the game's Titans, if any... (the Pokemon that would be considered as the mascot of Helios, along the lines of legendaries like Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, etc.)
Earlier, I saw 2 exceptional Fakemon Legendaries that were originally drafted for BW, and they fit PERFECTLY with your game's sun/moon theme... It would be a shame to see them relegated only to Fakemon art, though, when you could possibly incorporate them into your game. If you want, I can link to the post I first found them in... :)

In closing, everyone keep up the excellent work with this game! :D

Starrcasm

Years
First off, I commend whoever sprited the 2 Player Characters and Gym Leaders! Selene especially looks cute; for some reason I thought she looked like a cute Latina Trainer on first glance! I love the color schemes used as well. And the Gym Leaders look cool as well, with Warren's toughness from the get-go and Hayden exuding a sense of serenity! Liking the names so far; especially Hayden's (who reminds me of the beautiful Hayden Panettiere...)

Special commendation for the VS Sprites as well; I'm hoping Helios, Selene, and the rival get one, as well as The Mercenary and Julian! Though I have no skill in making a VS sprite from scratch as of now, it gets a tad annoying when I can easily recognize where an edited VS Sprite came from (i.e., a VS Whitney edit).
I haven't seen all of the Pt/HGSS VS Sprites yet, but from what I can tell, the ones currently displayed are original (not to mention awesome), with new poses to boot. The fact that the artist dedicated that much time to create tricky yet original VS Sprites hints at the great potential this game holds in store for the future..

The trainer sprites were sprited by Jocelyn, and the VS sprites were done by Aquakip, our art director. They're both on hiatus right now, but I'm sure when they see this they'll be very very happy :D The poses are all original and made from scratch, because we'd rather not have people try and tell us that we editted an old sprite [we had a small problem with our Prof. Palm sprite and an Oak edit a little while back xD

The synopsis and plot appear to be at an adequate length. Obviously, the whole plot can't be doled out at once, and a substantial amount of it would detract from the gaming experience. I actually prefer not being given much of the plot, to enrich the experience since I'm experiencing a new world/adventure for the first time which, IMO, is a definitive videogame experience. Take the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, for example (the best action-adventure game I've ever played on a console, even though I haven't finished). I could easily go to ZeldaWiki or a walkthrough and read the plot, bosses, weapons, and attacks featured in the game before I even complete the game. But why would I want to do that to ruin the whole point of buying the game, when I can play the game myself and engage in epic discovery, sans spoilers?
What is present right now would likely fit on a GBA/DS game box, so I don't think there should be excessive clamoring for more plot. If Pokemon Helios was in a box at Gamestop, the synopsis and plot would be exactly what would replace the normal Pokemon blurbs you find on the back of the box. To find out the rest, you'd have to purchase and play the game.

THANK YOU! I've been waiting a while to hear that. While a few people have told us they like our plot, I'm so glad that you're happy with the small bit that we've given you, and that you understand exactly why we can't show more. I'm not going to quote the next paragraph just because it would make my post HUGE, but thanks for taking an interest in Aaron's motive. When Bards Sword first came up with it I was extremely impressed as well, and it really excited me to put it in game. The dialogue that Aaron gives Helios in their first battle is very moving and really hits the point of why he becomes your rival.

The high school thing seems a bit odd, though, since hardly anyone in Pokemon goes to school, let alone high school (the players actually look a bit young for high school...)! The Pokemon Academy and Pokemon Tech come to mind, but those seem like elementary schools...

Well, Perihelion Productions [our team] wanted to make Helio Version a bit more realistic than the other games [hence the somewhat darker concept]. Because school is a regular thing in the regular world, we kept the concept in. Make no mistake, however. The school is not present at all, except for Mokep University, a college which you will come upon later on in the game.

I'm wondering why Team Solar wants to restart on the Moon, instead of Earth. I get the excessive pollution thing would be harmful and force humanity's relocation, but couldn't they just take the easy route and use Pokemon to wipe everyone out instead? And it takes quite a bit of effort to get to the Moon... They could just use force to get their way quickly, instead of waiting for pollution to take its toll... I really like the pollution theme going on (hails to RSE, the games which hooked me back to Pokemon :D and where weather was utilized as a key plot element), though, and I'd like it to work. Anyway, maybe I'll learn why Team Solar wants to invest all of that seemingly unnecessary effort into polluting the earth and seeking out the Moon...eh?

Yes, as much as i understand your question, it just seemed natural to move them to the moon, as if Julian succeeded, the Earth would be virtually uninhabitable. His goal is to make humanity realize that it was killing the earth by doing it faster so that they would see it, sort of like an Al Gore type thing.

Does Rayquaza really have to die?! Death can be a primary shifting factor for people's mindsets, but Rayquaza is a freaking LEGENDARY! It should be much more resilient from dying by a stabbing! Plus, it's one of my favorite Titans (my term for the version mascot Legendaries, Heatran, and Arceus...) The way I interpret the Pokemon canon is that there is only one of each Titan (I know some games imply there can be more than one of other Legendaries), so one of them dying is a bit...disheartening for me, for lack of a better word. I'd accept Rayquaza getting severely hurt to the point that it entered a near-death state...

Rayquaza has to die only because we need for there not to be any guardian or protector of the Ozone, that could possibly stop Team Solar. I love Rayquaza too, but because of its death it plays a major role in the plot, and even makes a cameo down the path.

The graphics confuse me a bit... The overworld seems to be the style of DPPt & HGSS, while the battle screen is that of RSE... I'd prefer the DPPtHGSS battle screen since it looks crisper than the GBA menus, etc., but I can manage... They are coming along really nicely, though...

Yeah, pokemon essentials is built using a 3rd generation type game, and even if we are able to swap out the 3rd gen tiles for a 4th gen tileset, we still lack the proper scripting skills to draft out a 4th generation battle screen. For the full game, possibly you will see a better layout, but for the demo this is what we got.

To answer your question, yes, we will have a Battle Frontier, but that will take a lot of scripting and it wont be out until the release of the full game, which will take a while.

Secondly, yes, we do have legendaries, and we even have sprites for them, but we're not revealing them just yet. Probably right before the demo comes out. I wouldnt want to steal another person's designs, and i believe I have seen them, and they remind me way too much of Suicune and Raikou. :P

In closing, everyone keep up the excellent work with this game! :D

And thank you very much for that awesome post! I wish more people would take the time to post like that xD

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
Years
...well, I'm looking forward to this demo, seeing as your game and mine are based on the same land (with different and unique perspectives, of course). I've been keeping my eye on this game and I have to say it's graphically appealing, with an unusually interesting storyline, and unique Pokemon and its own evil Team.

Good luck to you guys and I hope to see much more from you!

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
Okay, Starrmyt so I was reading all of your comments above and I noticed the school you went to is called, MOKEP UNIVERSITY. Mokep is the first 5 letters of Pokemon spelled backwards. If this game had a more mellow feel, that would work, but you guys chose for a darker shade on the game (although its called Helio :P). The Emort Team can do better than that. Maybe Olympus University? (since Helios and Selene are gods' names).

Starrcasm

Years
Okay, Starrmyt so I was reading all of your comments above and I noticed the school you went to is called, MOKEP UNIVERSITY. Mokep is the first 5 letters of Pokemon spelled backwards. If this game had a more mellow feel, that would work, but you guys chose for a darker shade on the game (although its called Helio :P). The Emort Team can do better than that. Maybe Olympus University? (since Helios and Selene are gods' names).

First point: Mokep backwards is actually Pekom. :)

Secondly, you misunderstand the entire thing. And this is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. We haven't taken a darker route whatsoever, no, quite the opposite. We ARE a mellow game, we just have one or two dark TWISTS. Its just that because we were discussing these twists for the last two pages that you've gotten it into your head that its a really dark game.

Which it isn't. Its light and enjoyable.

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Look, structurally and plot wise we're looking for a more realistic feel, within the limits of pokemon. I guess you could call that keeping a balance. Though, to be perfectly honest, Mokep Univ. was a beta-name made while trying to give Prof. Palm backstory. It is still subject to change. But the overall tone of the game will be more realism, in a sense, while bearing in mind that its still pokemon. For a good Nintendo example in another franchise, see Twilight Princess. Now, TP was by far more dark then our game will be, but its the same general principle.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time for another sprite update!!​

flamp.png

Flamp

Grass/Electric

The Lamp Pokemon

Flamp are much like Lightning Bugs in which they light up the night. However, instead of the sky, they bring light to the ground.

floralite.png

Floralite

Grass/Electric

The Florescent Pokemon

These Pokemon use photosynthesis to light up at night. During the day they charge, using internal solar power.

Flamp >>Sun Stone>> Floralite

---
These Pokémon will NOT appear in the demo. However, any previous one, excluding Marmozap [sorry guys] will be.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
That's a pretty creative idea, but wouldn't a LIGHTBULB evolve into a LAMP?

Also, I suggest you let the fans vote for a Pokemon Type to be shown like on Malachite and Uranium (ask Starrmyt he would know since he loves to vote for the poster above :p)
It just keeps the thread more active.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 28, 2014

Also, I suggest you let the fans vote for a Pokemon Type to be shown like on Malachite and Uranium (ask Starrmyt he would know since he loves to vote for the poster above :p)

I'm pretty sure they're both lamps dude o.o lmao. The second one is the kind you'd see like in someone's living room.

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
I think AceDragonite means it would be more logical if the first stage was a lightbulb, and then the evolution would be a lamp.

Yes, its more logical, but honestly, what can you do with a lightbulb? Its hard to be creative with a lightbulb without putting the lightbulb into something, making it a lamp. Otherwise, there's not just must to do. So in order to be more creative, a small lamp evolves into a bigger and badder one.

Starrcasm

Years

Ah, thank you for that reference xD

We've decided against the whole voting for a type thing, only because we're showing you our fakedex in its order. It makes things neater for us, especially because eventually one DOES run out of types.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
lol don't mean to go shooting my mouth off, but I joined Calis Projects today (and revived 2 threads accidentally :p) and found something quite interesting.....
and I'm pretty sure the game will be at least at beta 2 before you run out of Pokemon to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back