• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?

Locations of routines and such.
I'm not so much after the patch itself -- I'd like to be able to learn from it -- understand why you did what you did.
Basically, I'd like to be able to *recreate* what you did, just for the sake of the experience.
But I don't want to bug you, or ask you to teach me individually, and I'm competent enough to understand documentation, or even commented routines if available. ( The second would be amazing too, but I think you said earlier you lost several of your routines )
For example, I think it would be pretty cool to just fix the bugs that occur with using one of the 25 empty slots.

( However, if I do make a hack, I would definitely use the clean ROM patch, and this patch with it. Two amazing patches, may I say. -- Thanks you two. )

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Tell me what documentation you guys want, and I'll try to provide it for you.
At the end of the day, the patch is being developed for you (and anyone else who wants it, of course :P).

For ease of use, I'll bundle a known bug list and 2 XSE header files so that people don't need to guess the indices of the new pokémon and items.

I will most likely also provide my ini for PGE so that people can see the new stuff in PGE.

Apart from that, what do you want documentation about?

I think most of what you have is good. If it is simple, can you add a tutorial about what you were talking about earlier. Where you are able to increase the number of pokemon slots but if it is to time consuming I think that's fine. Also, like I said, if you need any help with footprints or movesets I'm here to help! :)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I think most of what you have is good. If it is simple, can you add a tutorial about what you were talking about earlier. Where you are able to increase the number of pokemon slots but if it is to time consuming I think that's fine. Also, like I said, if you need any help with footprints or movesets I'm here to help! :)

Well, actually, footprints and movesets are 2 of the things I still haven't gotten around to finishing off. But I have to fix other things just now.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Oh, well that's ok. That's all I was saying. I could help out but I think the documentation will be fine (Especially if you add the tutorial I suggested xD).

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
To Jambo: I was playing around with scripts and advance map, and I am not sure if this happend to you but the girl in pallet town has a diferent script ($B26A8A which is all FF's). No big deal just wondering why she has a different script then the original.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I was most likely testing out some sort of script, removed it, but forgot to reset the original pointer.

EDIT: Fixed for alpha.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
649 Patch Alpha Two

This is (as the title implies) alpha 2 of my 649 patch. It fixes a couple of minor bugs which existed in alpha 1 (which was only privately available).

Terms of Use:
Do not, under any circumstances, release a hack based on this patch. You can build a private hack on the engine.

Report any and all bugs found either in this thread, in a VM, or a PM. I will endeavour to check the thread at least once a day to respond to any queries.

Please use this format, as it will aid me in fixing any bugs:
Bug - Explanation of what it is (a screenshot would also be fine if not better)
HOW TO REPLICATE: This is hugely important. If you can recreate the bug using a set of easy steps, tell me. Then I can replicate them myself to try to fix it. If not, don't worry too much.
When - When it happened (Specific area of game - like during battles or whatever)

Other than that, and most importantly, enjoy!

Please remember this is an EARLY ALPHA of the patch, and while most things work, some things do not. Things which don't work are listed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

Also attached are a couple of headers for XSE which contain the new items (sans sprites atm) and the new Pokémon to facilitate the use of the patch.

I hope this will be tested by many, and I also truly hope as many bugs as possible are found so I can fix them. :)

Also, I sneaked in ony tiny little semi-easter egg. You should find it quite quickly if you're curious enough to open Sappy. :P

Finally, a short note to Team Fail and his ilk: The documentation is still being written up, I'll post it when it's ready. I hope that's OK.

Last but not least; The link to it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/649%20Patch%20Alpha%202.rar
The INI: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/roms.ini

This INI is for PGE, but it should contain most (if not all) of the relevant pointers/data.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
This is (as the title implies) alpha 2 of my 649 patch. It fixes a couple of minor bugs which existed in alpha 1 (which was only privately available).

Terms of Use:
Do not, under any circumstances, release a hack based on this patch. You can build a private hack on the engine.

Report any and all bugs found either in this thread, in a VM, or a PM. I will endeavour to check the thread at least once a day to respond to any queries.

Please use this format, as it will aid me in fixing any bugs:
Bug - Explanation of what it is (a screenshot would also be fine if not better)
HOW TO REPLICATE: This is hugely important. If you can recreate the bug using a set of easy steps, tell me. Then I can replicate them myself to try to fix it. If not, don't worry too much.
When - When it happened (Specific area of game - like during battles or whatever)

Other than that, and most importantly, enjoy!

Please remember this is an EARLY ALPHA of the patch, and while most things work, some things do not. Things which don't work are listed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

Also attached are a couple of headers for XSE which contain the new items (sans sprites atm) and the new Pokémon to facilitate the use of the patch.

I hope this will be tested by many, and I also truly hope as many bugs as possible are found so I can fix them. :)

Also, I sneaked in ony tiny little semi-easter egg. You should find it quite quickly if you're curious enough to open Sappy. :P

Finally, a short note to Team Fail and his ilk: The documentation is still being written up, I'll post it when it's ready. I hope that's OK.

Last but not least; The link to it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24219056/649%20Patch%20Alpha%202.rar
Glad to see this is finally up but its gonna be hard to create new inis for programs xD Also, will this ever be allowed to be used in public hacks? It be a shame if it couldn't. Keep up the good work Jambo!

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
I was hoping to have gotten the sheets for the Gen 4 Pokemon done before you released this to the public. Looks like I was a couple days late. I have good looking fronts for almost every Gen 4 'mon (I just need to make 3 Rotom Formes and recolor the Arceus sprites). Excluding Formes, I just need to make 13 more backs (28 with them), so I should be able to have those out by the end of the weekend I think. I hadn't intended to include gender differences, but adding those should be pretty easy if you want me to.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Glad to see this is finally up but its gonna be hard to create new inis for programs xD Also, will this ever be allowed to be used in public hacks? It be a shame if it couldn't. Keep up the good work Jambo!

Ah, sorry. I forgot to include the INI with the file. I'll add it now.
The reason I'm not allowing hacks to be released based on this is because it's an ALPHA. It's buggy and I know it is. The whole point of releasing a public alpha is so we can find the bugs and fix them.

Once it hits what I will call "Beta" stage, people will be free to make hacks based on the patch.

I was hoping to have gotten the sheets for the Gen 4 Pokemon done before you released this to the public. Looks like I was a couple days late. I have good looking fronts for almost every Gen 4 'mon (I just need to make 3 Rotom Formes and recolor the Arceus sprites). Excluding Formes, I just need to make 13 more backs (28 with them), so I should be able to have those out by the end of the weekend I think. I hadn't intended to include gender differences, but adding those should be pretty easy if you want me to.

It's only the first alpha. We're a long way from being finished. So don't rush yourself too much. Ideally, more for the gen 5 Pokémon, we do kinda need the male/female sprites. Anyway, point is, don't rush yourself.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Ah, sorry. I forgot to include the INI with the file. I'll add it now.
Thanks for that. It helps. Although I was trying to change the INI of Yape and Advanced Series and I got errors like ROM Configuration error or data is not compressed.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for that. It helps. Although I was trying to change the INI of Yape and Advanced Series and I got errors like ROM Configuration error or data is not compressed.

You might get some problems with some of the sprites in any sprite editor because it's not configured to read the male/female/forme spriting system I created.

DO NOT use YAPE. It is incompatible with the new stuff. Use the Pokémon Game Editor instead. That is what the INI is for.

marcc5m

what
Years
So there's no other Pokemon data editor that this will work with?
Damn, looks like I gotta wait 'til Christmas...

OFFTOPIC: That Doctor Who music vid you posted on youtube makes you a god in my eyes.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
[COLOR=#a]Well, it might work with YAPE. But the way YAPE works might cause severe issues. As to everything else, I used the typical tools to edit, so as long as you have updated the INI, it should work fine.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the love over the Who theme. Just one thing, I couldn't get the dum-de-dums to sound right, IMO. What did you think of them? Don't reply here, reply in a VM or something.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Hey Jambo, is there anyway to change the number of footprints visible in Foot Print Editor because I took the offset from the INI but it only lets me view the first 386 and there is no INI to the program so that I can increase the number of footprints. ONce I get that and Pokemon Editor working with the new data I can do movesets and footprints for you so you can focus on the other things.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey Jambo, is there anyway to change the number of footprints visible in Foot Print Editor because I took the offset from the INI but it only lets me view the first 386 and there is no INI to the program so that I can increase the number of footprints. ONce I get that and Pokemon Editor working with the new data I can do movesets and footprints for you so you can focus on the other things.

Not that i'm aware of. However, you could "trick" the programme into reading from a different offset. AFAIK, it still reads from the overall INI for the pointer to the footprint table, correct?

You could simply change that pointer in the INI so that it starts at slot 252 (as that's where Turtwig is) and go from there.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
Just wondering, have you seen this thread? It was an effort by some guys ( a few years ago to do essentially the same task you've done (unlock the Pokédex limits); as far as I know, it was never completed, though. This looks like it's achieved what they did and more; although I'm not a ROM hacker (never had the patience for ASM, and not a fan of tools that do everything for you), I applaud you for what you're pulling off here. I might just have to learn some ROM hacking so I can use this :)

Maybe I could try programming a Pokémon editing tool compatible with an extended Pokédex? I'm really busy with my university course at the moment, but I'll have some spare time in a few weeks when I can do something.

Also, the bug with Kanto Pokémon evolutions must be related in some way to FR/LG's blocking of those evolutions before the national dex is obtained. I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just making sure ;)

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Not that i'm aware of. However, you could "trick" the programme into reading from a different offset. AFAIK, it still reads from the overall INI for the pointer to the footprint table, correct?

You could simply change that pointer in the INI so that it starts at slot 252 (as that's where Turtwig is) and go from there.
Well the program's folder did not included an actually INI with it but you can chose which offset it starts reading at. So all I need to do is find the offeset of Turtwig and go on from there and you'll have your footprints!

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
When I use the Pokemon Editor program from the Game Editor, it asks me for a password when I want to use the Jambo51 evolution list. I can't find the password--can someone tell me it so I may check out the evolutions?

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
When I use the Pokemon Editor program from the Game Editor, it asks me for a password when I want to use the Jambo51 evolution list. I can't find the password--can someone tell me it so I may check out the evolutions?
I'll un-password it by next release. I'd rather not give out the password since no one should really be trying to do things with the alpha.

Just wondering, have you seen this thread? It was an effort by some guys ( a few years ago to do essentially the same task you've done (unlock the Pokédex limits); as far as I know, it was never completed, though. This looks like it's achieved what they did and more; although I'm not a ROM hacker (never had the patience for ASM, and not a fan of tools that do everything for you), I applaud you for what you're pulling off here. I might just have to learn some ROM hacking so I can use this :)

Maybe I could try programming a Pokémon editing tool compatible with an extended Pokédex? I'm really busy with my university course at the moment, but I'll have some spare time in a few weeks when I can do something.

Also, the bug with Kanto Pokémon evolutions must be related in some way to FR/LG's blocking of those evolutions before the national dex is obtained. I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just making sure ;)

There actually is a Pokemon Editor in PGE that supports Jambo's new formats.

Last edited:
Back