• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions about Pokemon?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Do you have any unpopular opinions about Pokemon?

The only I can think of right now is that I prefer the skinny Pikachu of today over the fatter Pikachu of the 90s/early 00s.

pikachuthenandnow_zps2a065162.jpg

I honestly think the skinnier Pikachu is cuter and much more well rounded design-wise. I know a lot of people prefer the fatter Pikachu, and think it's cuter, I personally don't find it as cute and sort of ugly.

Sorry, that's my opinion. :)

What about you guys? What unpopular opinions about Pokemon you have?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I love Black Kyurem. Everyone else thinks he sucks because he got demoted to OU despite having 700 BST, but I don't care. White Kyurem is fugly.

I agree with you actually. I personally prefer Black Kyurem over White Kyurem which is why I got Black 2 first and White 2 last. I just prefer it's design over White Kyurem's design mainly. Though overall, I think the Kyurem forms look better than the original Kyurem and improve it's design overall.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Generation V is more controversial than Generation III because of all the backlash it received on the changes in the overworld gameplay, story, Pokemon (no brainer), and features. Because of it, we still haven't gotten a modern main Pokemon game to dethrone Gen II as the best installment of the series or even surpass Gen I in sales.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I think Nidorina is the best Pokemon ever. Not even for objective reasons, at that.

You couldn't have had a more unpopular opinion than that like 8 years ago. Fortunately it's gotten way, way better. :3 Now if only I could influence the Japanese...

Also, I do like fatchu better. <_<

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Generation V is more controversial than Generation III because of all the backlash it received on the changes in the overworld gameplay, story, Pokemon (no brainer), and features. Because of it, we still haven't gotten a modern main Pokemon game to dethrone Gen II as the best installment of the series or even surpass Gen I in sales.

I find this interesting because your unpopular opinion seems to be "Gen V isn't as good as older gens", and I came into this thread with the unpopular opinion of "Gen V is the best generation so far". I guess it depends on what group of fans you're looking at.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I find this interesting because your unpopular opinion seems to be "Gen V isn't as good as older gens", and I came into this thread with the unpopular opinion of "Gen V is the best generation so far". I guess it depends on what group of fans you're looking at.

I wasn't trying to say "Gen V isn't as good as older gens." I truly wished it could've been based on your unpopular opinion if not for the series' broken fanbase, which has the potential to destroy the series entirely (the internet is a powerful tool for creating vocal/revolutionary groups through social websites).

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
It's not fat it's hunched over. When mice are on their hind legs they can't stand straight because of what their spines are like. The reason why Pikachu looks so much thinner is because they changed him to look more human. Which is freakin' creepy.

Sorry, go into a rant there. I have a lot of unpopular ideas. Too many to list.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Alright, here we go. Earlier generation monsters were better-designed. 'Better' is where my opinion lies, and it seems to be unpopular. Worth mentioning is that there has been an objective shift in design philosophy over time; monster designs have accrued more spikes, stripes and such things. There are actually threads on /vp/ where posters remove these features from official artworks, often yielding appealing results.

I want my first generation Garchomp.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I love Black Kyurem. Everyone else thinks he sucks because he got demoted to OU despite having 700 BST, but I don't care. White Kyurem is fugly.

This, this, this, and more this. I love Black Kyurem. I have the Black Kyurem tin, promo, and a figurine and I'd love to have a plushie. At first I didn't like it (but hey, everyone needs time to let things sink in anyway right?) and suddenly, I just really liked it. It's awesome and I love it's design and especially the color scheme. I don't care if it's awful in competitive. The current Black Kyurem EX in Plasma Storm more than makes up for its in-game competitive counterpart. ;)

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Alright, here we go. Earlier generation monsters were better-designed. 'Better' is where my opinion lies, and it seems to be unpopular. Worth mentioning is that there has been an objective shift in design philosophy over time; monster designs have accrued more spikes, stripes and such things. There are actually threads on /vp/ where posters remove these features from official artworks, often yielding appealing results.

I want my first generation Garchomp.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

That Generation III is the best gen. I don't know why everyone hates on it. All three games had a great story, introduced the Battle Frontier in Emerald, and improved graphics. I personally think the story was much better than Gen I or Gen II, and only improved upon Gen II in other aspects. I feel like there's as much hate as love for Gen III. Also, the Battle Frontier was amazing and every single facility was fun. The only big flaw I see in it was not being able to get many Kanto and Johto pokemon.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I think that pokemon needs to revolutionize and reinvent itself, because there has been very little, save for some of BW2's unique implements and BW's story, to keep a fan such as me from leaving the main games altogether. Save for some adjustments (though I will say that overall speed and the running function have made for great enhancements) not much has made for such great change in the series that make the original gens seem outdated (especially and mainly in terms of the gameplay), other than the streamlining. I think a reinvention would not only be received with great fanfare, but it would also do great things for the series. While this isn't necessarily unpopular everywhere (in fact, there are quite a few people who believe this as well), it's mostly disagreed with by pokemon fans, especially die hards.

Also, and this isn't really something that I blame them for, but I don't quite like the music in the newer games nearly as much as, say, the first and second gens (and the third, to a lesser extent). It's something when you notice the detach between the games, musically, and I'd like to see more of what was with RBGY and GSC (and RSE) going forward, especially considering that the three games didn't all share musicians.

Oh, and I like Black Kyurem as well. BK's the reason I got Black 2, similarly to why I played White for Zekrom.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I've always thought that Gen 4 was really great and added a lot to the franchise, but apparently I've learned after reading threads on PC that a lot of people hate it.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Want an unpopular opinion? I have some :)

Here's one: I think that the complete absence of older Pokémon during the main story of Black and White was actually beneficial. As an older Pokémon fan, I loved it, because it felt like I was discovering the series all over again. I admit having been slightly disappointed when I met a wild Golduck in post-game :) .

Also, sorry my brethren nostalgia fans, but after having recently replayed Gen 1 and 2, I think that Gen 1 Pokémon by themselves were laughably imbalanced (1/5 of them were poison types and psychic types were overpowered, need I say more? :) ) , and that a more or less coherent ensemble was only formed when the next 100 Pokémon came about.

And I have an irrational hatred of Pikachu :) .

Years
I dislike the "item" based pokemon like Voltorb, Litwik, and Grimer and humanoid Pokemon like Jynx and Mr Mime....though I'm ok with Machop and Timburr lines. <.<

I'm also tired of legendary version exclusive mascots. Remember the times you could catch all of them on the same cartridge and weren't integral to the main story?...also would like to see the amount of them released each gen to be toned down. They lose their specialness when one out of every fifteen Pokemon released in a generation is a legendary.

And I have an irrational hatred of Pikachu :) .

Agreed. My favorite Pokemon is actually Sandshrew, who I've dubbed as "Anti-Pikachu."

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
In my opinion most of 4th and 5th Gen Pokemon have terrible designs. There are great ones but the majority are terrible. I get into this argument with a friend of a friend almost weekly.

Also I don't like Pikachu. Raichu is so much cooler and Pikachu doesn't deserve to be the face of Pokemon. Someone cool like the Abra family should have been the face or Bulbasaur since he is the first Pokemon in the Pokedex. Or as stated above Sandshrew. He is adorable and from what I've seen horribly underused.

According to this thread my opinions aren't so unpopular.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
I actually kind of like Mewtwo's new form. I don't know how PC in general thinks of it, but other sites I browse have been leaning more towards dislike. Maybe it's because the new form feels like it's paying an homage to one of my childhood villains, but I can get behind them revisiting Mewtwo after all this time. And getting Mewtwo in X and Y is something else I can dig.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
I actually kind of like Mewtwo's new form. I don't know how PC in general thinks of it, but other sites I browse have been leaning more towards dislike. Maybe it's because the new form feels like it's paying an homage to one of my childhood villains, but I can get behind them revisiting Mewtwo after all this time. And getting Mewtwo in X and Y is something else I can dig.

I can't tell if you mean that Mewtwo was the villain or you're talking about Buu from DBZ. xD

Back